GRAGG, Margaret Elizabeth (Colyer) - b. March 10, 1914 - d. September 15, 2014

Started by patyrn, September 16, 2014, 12:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

Margaret Gragg has passed away at the age of 100.   Services will be held on Saturday, September 20, 2014 at 10:00 a.m. at the First Methodist Church in Howard, Kansas.

Margaret has led an amazing life, influencing many Elk County children through her classroom for many, many years.  After her retirement, she remained so active in the community through the historical society, the Methodist church, serving as Mayor of Howard, and being an ongoing supporter of Elk County overall.  We will miss her............................

patyrn

Margaret Elizabeth Gragg, age 100, a longtime resident of Howard, Kansas, passed away Monday, September 15, 2014 at the Howard Twilight Manor.  She was born on March 10, 1914 in Piedmont, Kansas, the daughter of Harold Waco and Addie Elizabeth (Rhea) Colyer.

On September 8, 1934, Margaret was united in marriage to William H. "Bill" Gragg in Howard, Kansas.  For 40 years, Margaret was a teacher; the first 6 years were in rural schools and then 34 years in the Howard Public Schools and West Elk School District.  At the age of 43, Margaret graduated from Emporia State University, and ten years later, she received her Masters degree.  She was a member of the Howard United Methodist Church, Rebekah Lodge #154 for 70 years, United Methodist Women since 1925, Delta Kappa Gamma, American Legion Auxiliary, and served for 8 years as Mayor of Howard, Kansas.  Margaret was very active in various other clubs and organizations and generously helped with the funding of the Benson Museum and Rebekah Lodge buildings.

Margaret is survived by her adopted son, Larry Gragg and his wife, Cindy of Howard, Kansas; two sisters, Jean Grundy of Eureka, Kansas and Hope Eisenback of Kalamazoo, Michigan; two grandsons, Travis Gragg and Bryce Gragg; and 4 great-grandchildren.  She was preceded in death by her parents; her husband, Bill; her son, William; and her brother, Richard Colyer.

Funeral services will be held at 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, September 20, 2014 at the Howard United Methodist Church with Pastor Stacy Ellsworth officiating.  Interment will be at Grace Lawn Cemetery.  Memorials may be made to the Howard United Methodist Church and may be left with the funeral home.  Online condolences may be left at www.countrysidefh.com.  Arrangements are under the direction of Countryside Funeral Home, 206 E. Washington, Howard, Kansas 67349.

(taken from the Countryside Funeral Home website)

Catwoman

:'( :'(  It is with unbelievable sadness that I read this.   Margaret was a grand and glorious, bigger than life lady who made me smile from the inside out.  She was a dear, dear friend who made each Delta Kappa Gamma meeting fun...An intelligent, erudite, articulate woman who served as the gold standard for the educators who followed after her...And owner of one of the most generous hearts I ever encountered.  My sincere condolences go out to her family.  She will never be forgotten. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk