Fires in San Diego County

Started by Bonnie M., May 16, 2014, 07:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonnie M.

Greetings:
Just thought I'd write a bit about the fires here in North County, San Diego.  The heat, drought, low humidity and Santa Ana winds were all of the ingredients needed to have these fires, that were just popping up all over.  The first fire started in the Rancho Bernardo area, and was caused by sparks from a bulldozer, and it was all bad, from then on.  Ten fires at a time, in scattered areas.  Pretty certain that arson was involved, with at least, some of the fires.  Of course, the winds blew the embers for a long distance, and, where ever they landed, there was another fire, that was immediately out of control.  The firefighters have done the most amazing job, along with the bombers and helicopters with the ability to drop water and a fire retardant.  As the area was declared to be in a State of Emergency, it released the use of Military planes and helicopters, and, "we" had help from firefighters all over California.  I believe there are at least 2,400 firefighters in the area, I think there may be at least 5 remaining active fires.  A new one broke out at Camp Pendleton this afternoon, the third at Camp Pendleton.  The pictures that have been shown are amazing.  The work of the firefighters is said to have saved thousands of homes.  However, there are a lot of homes that did burn, and I guess there are still several thousand people who aren't allowed back into their homes.  The fires were pretty much out of control for three days, today, it's calmer.  The went blew from the east for the first two days, which meant the fire was going west.  Then, yesterday, the winds switched to blowing to the east, which brought the fire right into the western edge of Escondido.  We live in the eastern part of Escondido, pretty much in a straight line with the area of the fire.  With all of the support from the firefighters, and with the help of the winds dying down, the fire was controlled, and didn't move on across town.  We say "Praise the Lord," for that!  It hasn't been a "good" three days.  Ten thousand acres have burned.  But, it's sure getting better.
Bonnie

Mom70x7

So glad to hear from you. There have been many prayers going to those we love in California. Some of the pictures have shown both the devastation and the bravery. Thanks for the report. Hope the cooler weather continues AND the rains come.

Diane Amberg

We've been watching from a distance. It's been all over our fire news here. I just can't imagine why someone  would start fires like those on purpose. Glad you are OK

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk