Answer This...

Started by Warph, March 31, 2014, 10:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

The first one I remember, so I won't say. The second I think is one in six?

Warph

Bring on the first one, Diane...

and your answer to the second one:

The answer is: 1/36

For the first dice, there can be six possibilities. Similarly, for the second dice as well, there can be six possibilities.
Thus the total possibilities is 6 * 6 = 36.
The outcome we need is that the first comes up with a 2 and the second comes up with a 5. That is possible only in one possibility.
Therefore the required probability is 1/36

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Diane Amberg

Ha! I'm Not good with numbers. The other had to do with the belt. It had a skinny blade already built into it that slowly worked it's way into him, but caused no obvious problem until he took his pants off to bathe. Then he bled out. The killer didn't have to actually be there to do the job. I hope that's close, as it is what I remember.

Warph

Solution:
The killer did not need to be present at the crime scene. He used sort of an artistic technique to kill the victim. The incision was made by the very fine and this incision blade which is barely visible to naked eyes. It was stuck in victim's belt at any random point of time and he did not feel much due to the extremely fine surface of the blade. When the man undressed, he had to remove his pants due to which the incision blade was removed from his body cutting finely in its way out.
In this manner, the victim dies with the extreme blood loss and there was no evidence left.

Right you are, Diane... you must be a Sherlock fan as I am... I think I've seen them all.  Jeremy Britt (Sherlock) and Edward Hardwicke (Dr. Watson) were my favorites.  Here they are in the "Sign Of Four" (Not Three):

OK people, Try these on for size, below:

1.A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms: The first is full of raging fires, the second is full of assassins with loaded guns, and the third is full of lions that haven't eaten in 3 years. Which room is safest for him?
Answer:

2.A woman shoots her husband. Then she holds him under water for over 5 minutes. Finally, she hangs him. But 5 minutes later they both go out together and enjoy a wonderful dinner together. How can this be?
Answer:

3.A magician was boasting one day at how long he could hold his breath under water. His record was 6 minutes. A kid that was listening said, "that's nothing, I can stay under water for 10 minutes using no type of equipment or air pockets!" The magician told the kid if he could do that, he'd give him $10,000. The kid did it and won the money. Can you figure out how?
Answer:

4.There are two plastic jugs filled with water. How could you put all of this water into a barrel, without using the jugs or any dividers, and still tell which water came from which jug?
Answer:

5.What is black when you buy it, red when you use it, and grey when you throw it away?
Answer:

6.Can you name three consecutive days without using the words Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday?
Answer:

7.This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it? It looks so plain you would think nothing was wrong with it! In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is unusual though. Study it, and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out! Try to do so without any coaching!
Answer:

8.You are participating in a race. You overtake the second person. What position are you in?
Answer:

9.If you overtake the last person, then you are...?
Answer:

10.(in your head!) Take 1000 and add 40 to it. Now add another 1000. Now add 30. Add another 1000. Now add 20. Now add another 1000. Now add 10. What is the total?
Answer:

11.Mary's father has five daughters: 1. Nana, 2. Nene, 3. Nini, 4. Nono. What is the name of the fifth daughter?
Answer:
--Warph

-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Diane Amberg

Al and I both love British mysteries. We've read or seen most everything.Now as far as your list... I've got several figured out, a couple are very easy.The rest will take a little thinking...back later.

Diane Amberg

Ok...I think I might have 'em all. A couple are guesses, but do work. Several I'm very sure of and one is an old third grade riddle I used with my classes. I might have even gotten the number question. It depends on how you mean ''take." Ya really have to be a good reader to get a few of these. Fun!

Dee Gee

1-if the lions haven't ate for three years they would be dead.
2-Takes a photo and develops it and then they have dinner.
3-Takes a glass of water and holds over his head.
4-Freeze them then put in the barrel.
5-Coal
6-yesterday, today & tomorrow
7-no e's
8-second
9-you could be in any position except last because you just lapped the last place in the race.
10-4100
11-Mary
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

W. Gray

Here is one from my eighth grade algebra class of almost 60 years ago.

A cork and bottle cost $1.10.

The bottle's price was $1.00 more than the cork.

How much did the cork cost?

We were supposed to use algebra to figure this one out but none of us used algebra and none of us got the right answer. We all thought we had the right answer by mentally coming up with the cork costing 10 cents.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Warph

Quote from: W. Gray on April 25, 2014, 08:07:09 PM
Here is one from my eighth grade algebra class of almost 60 years ago.

A cork and bottle cost $1.10.

The bottle's price was $1.00 more than the cork.

How much did the cork cost?

We were supposed to use algebra to figure this one out but none of us used algebra and none of us got the right answer. We all thought we had the right answer by mentally coming up with the cork costing 10 cents.

Okay... b = the cost of the bottle and c = the cost of the cork
b = c + 1
b + c = 1.10

substitute for b in the second equation
c + 1 + c = 1.1
combine the c's
2c + 1 = 1.1
subtract 1 from each side
2c = 0.1
divide each side by 2
c = 0.05
then
b = c + 1 = 1.05
and 1.05 + 0.05 = 1.10

Huh??

--Warph

-- Warph

W. Gray

This was a homework problem.

That answer is correct and I can still remember a number of 8th graders saying that can't be the answer when the teacher gave it the next day. It took a while but all of us eventually saw the light.

Even a lot of parents thought .10 was the answer, chuckle.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk