BUFFALOW, Pearl Irene (Green) - b. June 22, 1918 - d. December 14, 2013

Started by patyrn, December 16, 2013, 10:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

Pearl Irene Buffalow, age 95, a longtime resident of Howard, Kansas, passed away Saturday, December 14, 2013 at the Howard Twilight Manor.  She was born June 22, 1918, the third child of William Evert and Ethel Irene (Morris) Green at their home north of Elk Falls, Kansas.

Irene attended rural schools, Stone and Stoney Point, and then attended Elk Falls High School, graduating in 1935.  She later attended Normal Training at Emporia College, now Emporia, now Emporia State University.  She taught school at Independence Rural School and Bunker Hill Rural School, both in NW Elk County, Kansas.

It was while she was teaching at Independence School that a young man by the name of George Robert Buffalow was working in a field across the road on a fall day.  He became thirsty and noticed a nice looking young woman cleaning the schoolhouse, so he went across the road and asked for a drink of water from the cistern.  Thus, a romance began.  Irene and George were married at Eureka, Kansas on September 19, 1939.  They established their home in NW Elk County in Union Center Towqnship.  To this union, four children were born:  Myrna, Mary, Sharon, and Gordon.  Irene was a loving mother but was strict with rules of behavior, studies, etc.  She was always willing to help with homework or lend an ear about a troubling situation.  Irene was also a good neighbor and was usually one of the first to resond when a neighbor or friend had a crisis of some matter.

Irene loved her family and was always glad to welcome her children, grandchildren, neighbors, and extended family in for a cup of coffee and perhaps a cookie or a piece of pie.  She enjoyed it most when the kids and grandkids were home for Christmas or any other time.

Irene was a hard working lady and was always glad to help with farmwork, the cattle, taking care of the garden, slopping hogs, as well as helping with the housework.  She was always willing to help a neighbor, help with the schools, or whatever had to be done.  She was a good cook, and her family will remember the fragrance of homemade bread when it was removed from the oven, especially when it was covered with butter and homemade sand plum or blackberry jam.

Irene is survived by 3 daughters, Myrna and husband, Frank Winn of Bartlesville, Oklahoma, Mary and husband, Jerry Harrod of Howard, Kansas, and Sharon Cowden of Gilbert, Arizona; 8 grandchildren, Stuart Winn of Houston, Texas, Sterling Winn of Lubbock, Texas, Stephanie Cavalio of Frisco, Texas, Gary Harrod of Howard, Kansas, Greg Harrod of Wichita, Kansas, Nancy Linville of Gilbert, Arizona, Rebecca Rowan of Arlington Heightsm, Illinois, and Garret Buffalow of Cedar Vale, Kansas; 12 great-grandchildren, several nieces and nephews and a host of friends.  Irene was preceded in death by her parents; husband, George Buffalow; son, Gordon Buffalow; brother, Wayne Green; two sisters, Nina Cambridge and Hope Hayden; and one great-grandchild.

Funeral services will be held at 10:30 a.m. on Wednesday, December 18, 2013 at Countryside Funeral Home in Howard, Kansas with Pastor Robin Haines officiating.  Friends may stop and register from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. on Tuesday, December 17, 2013 at the funeral home.  Interment will be held at Piedmont Cemetery in Piedmont, Kansas.  Family suggests memorials to the Howard Twilight Manor and may be left with the funeral home.  Online condolences may be left at www.countrysidefh.com.  Arrangements are entrusted to Countryside Funeral Home, 206 E. Washington, Howard, Kansas 67349.

(taken from the Countryside Funeral Home website)

Ole Granny

Dear Myrna and Frank,

My sincere sympathy to your families as you grieve.  What a wonderful life your mother lived and shared with you and your family.  Another generation passed down as our families spread and grow.  My thoughts and prayers will be with you.

Love, Alice
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

Wilma

Irene was one of my favorite people.  My husband's family knew her from way back when they were neighbors.  Then they were neighbors again in Severy while Irene and George rebuilt their home after it burned.  Which also made them neighbors of ours, as my in-laws lived a block east of us.  I always enjoyed stopping to visit her when we were back in Elk County and admired her vitality and enjoyment of life.  I am sure that Heaven is a better place with her in it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk