Emerine Carey obit look-up

Started by ddurbin, September 29, 2013, 11:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddurbin

Is there anyone there locally who would be willing to go to the Howard library and look for an obituary for Emerine Carey?  She died Feb. 12, 1916 after living in Union Center township since 1874.  I'm trying to help a ggg-granddaughter of her.  If anyone is kind enough to look for this, please send me a copy, scan or transcription and I'll pass it along.  Thanks in advance.  Dan Durbin    30154 Hillcrest Drive, Arkansas City, Ks.  67005     ddurbin1@cox.net

Mom70x7

Mom70x7

Today I checked both newspapers at the library - the Elk County Citizen Advance (name?) and the Howard Courant Citizen - searching through both newspapers, February and March 1916. Didn't find anything, sorry. There weren't many mentions of Union Center township events. Could they have been posted in a different paper?

patyrn

Dan, There is a site for Emerine Carey on Find-A-Grave #82662881, although perhaps the person you are helping may be the person who has posted that information with a desire for more research.

There is mention of her husbands, her parents, photos of gravestones in Bunker Hill Cemetery, etc. 

I also have access to Ancestry.com, and there are some public family trees posted there.  Let me know if this is helpful or if it has already been researched by your person.

Karen I.

evanstrail

The Carey's apparently resided along the Elk River in Sec 6, T 29S, R 10E, in both 1885 and 1903.  This is within a mile to the southwest of Glenwild post office in 1903.  The schools of the area were Star (District 28) to the NW and Elk Valley (District 118) to the SE, with the Carey residence being almost exactly half-way between the two.  It's possible the local news from this area would be in The Piedmont News, a weekly that did exist at the time.  Or possibly The Severyite, though Severy would be further away.

ddurbin

Mom70x7--Thank you for checking the newspapers.  I'll pass along your findings; or non-findings as it were.

Patryn--Yes, the information on Findagrave did indeed come from the ggg-granddaughter.  She already knows quite a bit about  Emerine, but is looking for confirmation or possibly new information.

Evanstrail--I'll pass your information along as well.  Another area paper may very well have included something.

Thanks to all for helping with this.  It's good to know one can network back to the area like this and get assistance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk