Where in Elk County Am I?

Started by flintauqua, August 13, 2009, 10:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flintauqua

Fifth clue - I can see Quail from here 24/7, and can hear them, along with pheasant and chukar fairly often.
"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

flintauqua

For those who haven't figured out what township of Elk County we're in, the three original townships of Howard County were Belleville, which is now one of Chautauqua County's twelve townships, Elk Falls and Liberty.  The target is in Liberty Township.

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

flintauqua

There have been two correct guesses so far, both were after clue two. Clues three, four and five have elicited some guesses that are very close to the target, but not quite there yet.

Clue six - Young Laura and little Willie were here in 1871. Their brother, sister and grandmother joined them in 1877, and their grandmother just over a year later.

flintauqua

Clue seven, and last one (I hope)

To parody a HeeHaw tune - Where oh where are you tonight? Why did you leave us here in the ground? I searched Liberty township and thought I found Flint Oak, head west just a bit and then you'll be done.

flintauqua

Sorry, I goofed in clue six - Laura and Willie's brother, sister, and GRANDFATHER joined them in 1877, with grandma a year later. Thanks to Brother Dan for pointing out my mistake. That's what big brothers are for!

Do we have anymore guesses? I'm out of clues, other than a photograph that will reveal where we're at. So I'll post that this evening around 6.

Wilma

I know!  I know!  You are on Quail Road just west of Flint Oak Ranch.

flintauqua

Wade Cemetery, about an eighth of a mile south of Quail Road on Road 25, Liberty Township, Elk County Kansas. N 37.54391 W 96.08834 or SWQ of NWQ of NWQ Section 10, Township 29S, Range 12E. Land that comprises Flint Oak surrounds the cemetery on the north, east, and south. First burials were members of the Wade family in 1871, last burial was in 1931.

In the snip of the topographical map of the area, forgive my freehand mouse writing. Circled spot in the right hand portion of snip is the main entrance to Flint Oak.

flintauqua

Dan Durbin and David Alexander were the first two to identify the location as Wade Cemetery, both after the second clue.  Tim Moore (Marcia's husband) was the next to figure it out, followed by Janet Harrington.

We'll play again in a couple weeks, but I may do a rerun of one we've already played on the Forum for the folks on the FB group page next week.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk