Elk County schools

Started by Wilma, December 27, 2006, 09:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

My oldest daughter is interested in the history of the Elk County schools, including pictures.  Can anyone help her?

Janet Harrington

Well, I can't.  I don't think I have anything that has any Elk County Schools in it, except the Pearl School house.  Mother, don't we have a picture of Uncle Bob and Uncle Pat along with their schoolmates standing with Kate Rader's mother, who was the teacher?  I can't remember Kate's maiden name.  It starts with an S.

emptynest

I could be wrong, but I think Kate Rader's maiden name was Shanks.

genealogynut

Wilma, your daughter might try checking with each little historical society within the county (Elk Falls, Grenola, Longton, Moline, & Howard) to see what they may have in the way of the small country schools.  Other than that, I'm afraid she's probably out of luck, as I don't feel that much preservation of history in Elk County is being done these days. (Not many seem to be interested)

Wilma

Yes, Kate's maiden name was Shanks.  Her mother taught at Pearl which was located about a mile north of where my in-laws lived at the time.  Or about 4 miles south and 1 west of Piedmont.  The picture was of her students at the time and included Bob and Pat Weyrauch.  If I remember right, it also included Shirley (Rader) Winn, Carol (Swonger) Bean, a Powers boy, Pauline (Hamilton) and several others that I don't remember.  Probably Richard Rader.  Since I lived in that area only a year, I wasn't that well acquainted with the neighborhood. 

The picture was one that Gleneva was trying to get identified and thought maybe your dad would know some of them.  I later found the same picture in some of your grandmother's pictures and assumed that Mrs. Shanks had given each of her students a copy of it.  We never had a copy of our own, only a copy in our hands for a short time.

Janet Harrington

You and Jimmie Ann could travel to Grenola and check out what they might have at the museum.  Here is a link that tells you about the Grenola museum.

www.grenolaks.com

hhjacobs

Marcia Moore wrote some history on some schools, cemetaries, and post offices of Elk County. Miss Juanita Anderson here in Howard taught at Upper Paw Paw. She has some good pictues.

michael_glenn

Quote from: Wilma on December 27, 2006, 09:49:58 AM
My oldest daughter is interested in the history of the Elk County schools, including pictures.  Can anyone help her?

http://www.kancoll.org/books/cutler/elk/elk-co-p2.html

...hope it´s helpful
...it´s never too fast and heaven can wait till I die.

michael_glenn

i would say, this page is very interesting and informative.

http://www.kansasheritage.us/orsh/byco/orshcoek2.htm
...it´s never too fast and heaven can wait till I die.

Janet Harrington

That is a good map with the schools located on it. It would be great if the schools all had names on the map.Pam Niles, who is a member of this forum furnished that map to the kansasheritage link.

Quote from: michael_glenn on December 31, 2006, 10:14:06 AM

i would say, this page is very interesting and informative.

http://www.kansasheritage.us/orsh/byco/orshcoek2.htm

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk