Elk County schools

Started by Wilma, December 27, 2006, 09:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcia Moore

Rural Vale School Dist. #112 was formed on July 30, 1873, and the first district meeting was held on Aug. 9, 1873.  School sessions were held in various homes until a school building was built.  On April 11, 1881, John Johnson, an unmarried man, granted one acre of land to School District #112 for school purposes.  This parcel of land commenced in the SE corner of the SW1/4 of Sect. 3, Twp. 29S, Range 11E.  A 26' x 40' school building was soon erected on this property located one mile east and one-half mile north of what later became the town of Fiat.

ddurbin

Wildcat School

from the Moline newspaper

April 29, 1910
School House for Sale
School District No. 76 known as the Wild Cat School District, will sell their school house building at public auction to the highest bidder for cash in hand.  The sale will take place at the school house at 2 p.m. April 30.        H. S. Adams           Clerk District 76

July 8, 1910
The new Wild Cat School house is being built as fast as possible.  The foundation is ready for brick work.  The floor joists are being laid this week.  Mr. C. F. Orvis has the contract to do the work and he is a good workman.

Aug. 26, 1910  (Wildcat community news section)
Our new school house is a beauty and one which any community need be proud.  It will seat sixty fine pupils and will be ready for school which will commence September 12th.  Miss Christina Walker will be our teacher.

genealogynut

Dan, I am very pleased to see you posting obits, news items, etc. from the Moline area.  My grandmother used to teach at the Wildcat school.  I think at that time she was using the name of Beulah Sorey.  If you should ever come across the names of James E. Hutton or Claude / Beulah Sorey in your researching, I'd be happy if you'd post them, as James Hutton used to live between Moline and Grenola.  James was my great-grandfather.

I think it would also be great if we could have a few folks from the Elk Falls/Longton, and Grenola areas that would post news, obits and genealogy info., etc.......as there is lots of info that needs to be covered and it's going to take awhile to get it done!

Buddyboy

I noticed that one of the schools outside Longton was not mentioned. The Illinois school house was west of the cemetery. My Aunt Al taught school there. She said that she was just a little older than some of her pupils. She went to school in the summers to get to teach. Most of my dad's brothers and sisters went there until the family moved in town.

Teresa

I have been communicating with Irene (Wilson) Scheurman.  She and her first husband Jack Wilson had the newspaper in Moline for a time.  Don't know exactly which years.  Anyway she sent me this picture of the old Harmony School. I assume it was around Moline somewhere, don't know anything else about it but will try and find out.

Thanks,  Roma Jean
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

greatguns

I believe anyone wanting info about some of the Elk County schools could go talk to Beuna Taylor who lives in Howard as she taught in more than one school in Elk County .  Even at 89 she is a wealth of info.

frawin

Harmony School set right off of the Highway at the "Y" just past the Rodeo Grounds at Moline. It was between Highways 160 and 99.
Frank Winn

Teresa

I received these 2 pics form Eric Wilson.

PUBLIC SCHOOL BUILDING, MOLINE KANSAS IN 1912.

OLD STONE SCHOOL AT ELK FALLS, KANSAS IN 1903
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Jo McDonald

Illinois School north of Longton was North of the cemetery -- I went there my seventh grade - my sister Helen was in the fifth grade - my brother Jack was in the eight grade-  That was the last year they had school there, 1943 --  the next year Jack and I rode horse back to school in Longton.  My sister Helen went to school at Hartford school which was eight miles north of Longton and 1 mile east and 1/8 back north.  Some of the stone walls of both school still stand.  The last teacher of Illinois School was Doris Evans Foulk and the last teacher at Hartford was Mae Rhodes.  Mae Rhodes also taught my Dad when he went to school somewhere east of Howard, I don't remember the name of that school.
Mound Branch school was west of Howard, and that school house now sits on property owned by Sandy Dunbar.  Guy Morgan Denton bought that school house and had it moved to town on his property.
  And of course there was Busby School - which is listed in the Kansas History Book.  And High Hill School.  And there was Star School north of Elk Falls -- I went there also.  I believe Dennis Crisp taught there, at one time.  The teacher that taught there when I went was Paul Beckner. 
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

greatguns

Does anyone know where Stoney Point Dist. 115 was located?  I have a quilt top with that on it and the years 1931 thru 1934 on it.  Wasn't the Ohio School in Elk County also?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk