Power Ups

Started by ddurbin, May 05, 2013, 03:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross

Here we go again Diane, but this is getting really old.   You have really gotten off topic again.

Now forgive me but I just moved your previous post and my previous post to this post, do I have your approval? Right here:
Quote from: Diane Amberg on May 08, 2013, 10:22:41 AM

Well DD, I see the topic has been hijacked again by the " Pretender Administrator." That is so rude!

Quote from: ROSS on May 08, 2013, 11:02:20 AM
Well I forgot to ask Diane what is with the name calling?
Is that seriously rude?
Is that the way teachers communicate effectively?

Time for me to head outside in the sunshine, the glorious rain has subsided and the clouds have pretty much cleared up.
You try to have a great day.

Quote from: Diane Amberg on May 08, 2013, 11:20:47 AM
You are moving people's posts again! I didn't move yours.

Perhaps you don't know how and therefore find fault with it.

Quote from: Diane Amberg on May 08, 2013, 11:20:47 AM
Yes, sometimes teachers have to call certain kinds of people out on their behavioror it would never change. That was very disrespectful, rude,and not justified. or is it just the hick way of doing things and you can claim you didn't know any better. >:(

Who are you to make that call? Do you make the rules for the internet or this forum? LOL!

So are you saying that is what you teach? When if  you fail to be able to communicate decently, it's okay to call names and bully?
Good job!

Also, while attempting to communicate with you may I ask,  is there a problem with calling a small community a sleeper community of a gigantic metropolitan area and not a rural community?  Especially when they try to pass themselves off as rural?

The Kansas City Metropolitan area covers 15 counties and includes the county where the community is located. Do you concur with that?
Please let us know what an educator thinks and knows!

flintauqua

Ross, would you consider Latham, KS (which is south of Beaumont and west of Howard) rural?  It has a population of 139.  Or how about Grainola, OK which is the first town you come to if you go west from Cedar Vale and then take K15 south, which becomes OK 18 at the stateline?  It has a population of 31.
"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

Diane Amberg

Ross, the question is not whether I make forum rules but rather why you think you do. Please do not move people's posts around to suit yourself. Teresa already addressed that before.
As far as asking me about rural vs city...the way you look at it my entire state would be rural. ;D If you add the population of our three biggest ''cities" together, it's only 138,489. Wichita alone has about 384,445 . Now you tell me who has the city slickers? ;) We have lots of little tiny "towns " of a few hundred or less, especially downstate.
I wouldn't dare speak up as you have already made up your mind and there for mine too. Al was the head of the Population Consortium here for many years, but I suspect you wouldn't respect his definitions or information either.
I should know better than to have an independent opinion. Perhaps I'll start a new sarcastic thread and move all your posts into it. 

Ross

Quote from: flintauqua on May 08, 2013, 12:23:01 PM
Ross, would you consider Latham, KS (which is south of Beaumont and west of Howard) rural?  It has a population of 139.  Or how about Grainola, OK which is the first town you come to if you go west from Cedar Vale and then take K15 south, which becomes OK 18 at the stateline?  It has a population of 31.

I don't see where they have anything to do with the Kansas City Metropolitan area that is made up of 15 counties.

And once again:

The Kansas City Metropolitan Area is a fifteen-county metropolitan area, anchored by Kansas City, Missouri, that spans the border between the U.S. states of Missouri and Kansas. As of the 2010 Census, the metropolitan area has a population of 2,035,334. It is the second largest metropolitan area in Missouri after Greater St. Louis and is the largest with territory in Kansas, ahead of Wichita. The area includes a number of suburbs including the following which have a population exceeding 100,000: Independence, Missouri; Kansas City, Kansas; Olathe, Kansas; and Overland Park, Kansas. The following suburbs have a population exceeding 50,000: Blue Springs, Missouri; Lee's Summit, Missouri; and Shawnee, Kansas. The Mid-America Regional Council (MARC) serves as the Council of Governments and the Metropolitan Planning Organization for the area.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Kansas_City

Do these communities you ask about  have the above mentioned in common with Baldwin City?

If you can show me such a similarity, I will try to be responsive.

IE do they have The Mid-America Regional Council (MARC) serves as the Council of Governments and the Metropolitan Planning Organization for the area or similar Governing Body that covers multiple counties?

Or are we going to attempt to attempt to compare apples and oranges to be the same as rural and metropolitan?

Is there no difference?

I have provided facts, I received from Wikipedia because I have no real answers but I do have lots of questions.

And sometimes I find answers such as I provided from Wikipedia.

Heck I never realized tat the Kansas City Metropolitan Area covered 15 counties until just a couple of hours ago when I stumbled on to that information.

Ross

Quote from: Diane Amberg on May 08, 2013, 01:07:26 PM
Ross, the question is not whether I make forum rules but rather why you think you do. Please do not move people's posts around to suit yourself. Teresa already addressed that before.

Are you trying to read my mind, you can not know what I think! Sorry about that!
For some reason I don't recall Teresa addressing that. Perhaps Teresa will PM me and give me a dressing down. If I am wrong I expect a dressingdown from the forum owners but not from you Diane of Delaware. That's catchy isn't it? Diane of Delaware, sort of like Helen of Troy or something. You may use that if you like. Compliments of me! It reminds me of the time my boss on the pipeline use to sing, "Here comes Ross the boss on the fautin hoss". I loved it. Gottaa have some fun ya know.

As far as asking me about rural vs city...the way you look at it my entire state would be rural. ;D If you add the population of our three biggest ''cities" together, it's only 138,489. Wichita alone has about 384,445 . Now you tell me who has the city slickers? ;) We have lots of little tiny "towns " of a few hundred or less, especially downstate.

I could careless about Delaware, but I did point out to you about your area at one time of having two large prisons that employee a lot of people and other amenities that Elk County lacks. However this topic is about rural Kansas and has turned to what rural means in Kansas not in Delaware. So that is the topic, Isn't it? Kansas is the topic and what is rural and NGO's.

I wouldn't dare speak up as you have already made up your mind and there for mine too. Al was the head of the Population Consortium here for many years, but I suspect you wouldn't respect his definitions or information either.

You guys have all the expert fields covered, how great that must make you feel.
Tell me did his position as Population Consortium have any connection in the state of Kansas or was it Delaware?

I should know better than to have an independent opinion. Perhaps I'll start a new sarcastic thread and move all your posts into it.  

Have fun with that.

flintauqua

Latham and Grainola share something with Baldwin City - they are both in Metropolitan areas also.  Latham is part of the Wichita MSA, and Grainola is in the Tulsa MSA.  So using your superior reasoning, they are also just "a sleeper community of a gigantic metropolitan area and not a rural community"

Just because a specific town happens to be in a county that is included in a Metropolitan Statistical Area by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) does not mean it isn't a local economy unto itself.  Latham and Grainola are about as rural as you can get, in fact they are actually 'frontier'.  So are Beaumont, Rosalia, and Cassoday.  I don't think you would find very many people that would say these are just sleeper communities for Wichita.  

From the OMB - http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/assets/fedreg_2010/06282010_metro_standards-Complete.pdf

"Furthermore, the Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Area Standards do not produce an urban-rural classification, and confusion of these concepts can lead to difficulties in program implementation. Counties included in Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas and many other counties may contain both urban and rural territory and population. For instance, programs that seek to strengthen rural economies by focusing solely on counties located outside metropolitan statistical areas could ignore a predominantly rural county that is included in a metropolitan statistical area because a high percentage of the county's residents commute to urban centers for work."

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

Diane Amberg

Ross, one last comment and I'll walk away shaking my head.
You expect me to believe you "forgot" Teresa's comments about forum behavior and what you did to me?  I suppose you didn't read Kjell's either?  March 22 on the other thread, "Ross's Elk County Connected Thread?" My,my, how convenient. I suggest you  read it. You were also asked to cut back on the ad nauseam on that EK thread. That didn't happen either so I guess you think you have a mandate to do as you please.
As far as my opinion on what's rural in Kansas....you asked me!(Yes, Al could address Kansas too as the definitions are universal)  read what Flint wrote,,,,same stuff.
I could care less except that you are moving people's posts again. That was supposed to stop! And that was MY topic.Not Kansas or Delaware. Had you not done that I would not have darkened this door. All a one trick pony now. How many different ways can Ross gripe. Boring.

Ross

Quote from: Diane Amberg on May 08, 2013, 02:17:24 PM
Ross, one last comment and I'll walk away shaking my head.
!Really? Awww!

[quote author=Diane Amberg link=topic=15303.msg208117#msg208117
You expect me to believe you "forgot" Teresa's comments about forum behavior and what you did to me?  i suspose you didn't read kjell'd either?  March 22 on the other thread, "Ross's Elk County connected Thread?" My,my how convienent. I suggest you  read it. You were also asked to cut back on the ad nasuem on that EK thread. That didn't happen either so i guess you think you have a mandate to do as you please. [/quote]

You apparently interpret things your own way. But guess what, I will go back and review their posts. Thanks for the heads up.

As far as my opinion on what's rural in Kansas....you asked me!(Yes, Al could address Kansas too as the defintiions are universal)  read what flint wrote,,,,same stuff.

There are many definitions to the word rural depending where you look. It seems different government agencies determine their own definition. However I happen to like Marriam Websters definition to wit: of or relating to the country, country people or life, or agriculture.

I could care less except that you are moving people's posts again. That was supposed to stop!

That only leaves a desire to call names and bully doesn't it?
Bye-bye Diane it has been my pleasure.

Ross

The Wichita, KS Metropolitan Statistical Area, as defined by the United States Office of Management and Budget, is an area consisting of four counties in south central Kansas, anchored by the city of Wichita. As of the 2010 census, the MSA had a population of 623,061 and the Combined Statistical area with the Winfield Micropolitan area had 659,372. With the addition of the population of the directly adjacent Hutchinson Micropolitan Statistical Area the 2010 population of the greater Wichita area would be 723,883. It is the largest metropolitan area anchored in the state of Kansas.

I wonder why would the United States Office of Management and Budget consider these large areas as metropolitan ?

Would it perhaps have anything to do with the spill over of the economy?
And the ease of access to that economy, would that play a part?
And that perhaps, a lot of people work in the center of that economy and take the money home to their communities?
Sure the sleeper communities would have their own economy, such as stores etc. Aid by the pay checks from the city a short distance away, which would large boost to their economy.

That seems to make sense to me?

But as I stated in another post there are plenty of definitions for the word rural.
I read where a school district defined rural as having 10 children per square miles.
No not our school district. I wish now I would have saved that link.

But I believe when I said we are the ultimate in rural, I am right. The nearest large community is 40 miles away. And the nearest city is even further.

It seems different government agencies determine their own definition. However, I happen to like Merriam Webster's definition to wit: of or relating to the country, country people or life, or agriculture.
I can hardly see how anything can be more rural than Elk County.
And I'm proud to live here.

Are we close enough to benefit economically, financially from a metropolitan area? I don't think so, do you?

flintauqua

Have you ever been to Latham? 

Quote from: ROSS on May 08, 2013, 04:46:55 PM
Are we close enough to benefit economically, financially from a metropolitan area? I don't think so, do you?

You may want to ask that last question to the people who commute daily to jobs in the Wichita MSA from Elk County.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk