Wichita State Shockers

Started by sixdogsmom, March 31, 2013, 01:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixdogsmom

So proud of this team! I have followed the Shocks since the 1960s; they have given me many exciting times. Saw something this tournament that I never thought to see. Since cable came to the little city of Wichita, I got interested in Gonzaga. They had the same up and down whamma jamma style of play as the Shockers. I loved watching them and was absolutely delighted to see the Zags and the Shocks play one another. Thanks to both teams for some exciting times! And congratulations to the Shocks for once again playing in the final four!  ;) ;) :D :D
Edie

Wilma

This is so great.  Wichita has been passed over as not being big enough to count.  It isn't the quantity that counts.  It is the quality.

Next game-Saturday evening with Louisville.

Bullwinkle

I don't have a key chain, Wilma, but I do have my "Destination Atlanta" , "Play Angry Shockers" T-shirt, already.

Wilma

How about your reservations in Atlanta?

Bullwinkle

I wish. Little brother will be there.

Wilma

I have an itsy, bitsy, teensy, weensy confession to make.  I am not what I have represented myself to be.  The subject in question is my loyalty as a Shocker fan.  You see, a long, long time ago, I heard the term "Wheatshocker" used in connection with a sports event.  At that time I couldn't see what shocking wheat had to do with a ball game.  Later, the Municipal University of Wichita was the place we went for music festivals.  My sports participation was limited to playing with my little brother's friends in our front yard.  Our front yard was the end of a dead end street.  Lots of room.  In high school, the boys played football, the girls cheered.  The boys played basketball, the girls cheered.  The boys went to track meets, the girls stayed in school.  So was my experience with team sports.  Then I married a man that didn't care for team sports.  For the next fifty-six years we attended games only if we had to, we didn't watch team sports on TV.  Then, one day, I found myself sole owner of the remote control.  I discovered football, basketball, baseball and even golf.  I discovered a college team that while not as good as today's Shockers, was good enough to keep me interested.  Meanwhile, the University of Wichita turned into Wichita State University.  I still have trouble with Wichita University and Wichita State.

Anyways, Bull, I have not been an avid Shocker fan all my life.  My first knowledge of their basketball team was when my aforesaid little brother would mention having been to one of their games.  They now have season tickets and don't miss a home game unless they have to.  My interest was piqued and eight years ago, I started watching Shocker's basketball everytime it was available on TV.  I got mad at Turgeon for leaving when he could have produced a winning team right here in Kansas.  I sympathized with Marshall when he got discouraged during his first years.  If I could have talked to him, I would have told him to just hold on and make the team his.  Which he did without my help.  Today I AM one of the most loyal of the Shocker fans.  I didn't quit them when they weren't winning and I am proud of where they are today.  My flag is still flying and will whether they win or lose.  Or until the Kansas winds tear it away and give it to someone else.

farmgal67357

Does anybody know how the Shockers mascot, Wu Shock, got his name?
Lisa
Lisa

W. Gray

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

farmgal67357

Lisa

Bullwinkle

Well, Wilma, at least you didn't say you grew up knowing it as Fairmount College, which is I believe the first name, hence Fairmount College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

Turgeon got what he deserved. Hopefully , Marshall will too!  ;)  

I think it's time for a new baseball coach, though. Gene just isn't getting it done anymore and has missed many recruiting chances. I like the baseball games a lot , especially when I can sit in the sky box.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk