ROBERTS, Willis Dean "Bill" - b. June 28, 1933 - d. March 27, 2013

Started by patyrn, March 30, 2013, 07:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

Willis Dean "Bill" Roberts, 79, of Collinsville, Oklahoma, passed away from lung cancer on Wednesday, March 27, 2013 in Georgetown, Texas.  Bill was born June 28, 1933 in Elk County, Kansas, the son of Willis B. and Etta Mae (Furry) Roberts.

Bill attended school in Busby, Kansas and Howard, Kansas.  He graduated from Howard High School class of 1952.  He excelled at sports and especially enjoyed running track and playing football.  He attended Ottawa University in Ottawa, Kansas on a football scholarship.  Later, he attended the University of Wichita and graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Education in 1964.  He worked for Boeing in Wichita, Kansas while he worked on his Bachelor's degree.  Upon graduation, he joined General Electric in Huntsville, Alabama.  In 1966, he joined American Airlines in Tulsa, Oklahoma as a computer programmer and was proud to work there for 27 years until his retirement in 1992.  Even after retirement, Bill enjoyed attending monthly breakfasts with his retired friends from American Airlines.

Bill was united in marriage to Charlotte (Sloan) Roberts on December 19, 1954 in Howard, Kansas at the Howard United Methodist Church.  They raised two children, Martha and Joe.  Bill and Charlotte celebrate4d 49 years of marriage until her death on October 17, 2003.

On July 1, 2005, Bill married Vera (Adams) Conard-Roberts in Severy, Kansas.  Bill and Vera enjoyed life together and were active members of the Severy United Methodist Church until her death on January 12, 2011.

Bill had a lifelong hobby of vegetable gardening.  He enjoyed tilling the land, planting, harvesting, and canning, and once the family pantry was full, he always gave the surplus to friends.  He was proud to be from Howard, Kansas and was past President of the Howard High School Alumni Association and enjoyed planning and attending the annual banquets.  

Bill is survived by his son, Joe Roberts of Collinsville, Oklahoma; his daughter, Martha (Roberts) Lancaster and her husband, Stephen of Georgetown, Texas; his grandson, Brian Lancaster of Georgetown, Texas, and his sister, Barbara Roberts of Winfield, Kansas.  He was preceded in death by his parents; his brothers, Claude Roberts, Dallas Roberts, and Wilbur Roberts; and his sisters. Hazel (Roberts) Knight and Zuna (Roberts) Duckworth.  

Funeral services will be held at 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday, April 3, 2013 at the Howard United Methodist Church in Howard, Kansas with Rev. Charles Cryderman officiating.  Visitation will be at 10:00 a.m. until noon at the church.  Interment will be at Grace Lawn Cemetery in Howard, Kansas.  The family suggests that donations be made in Bill's memory to the American Cancer Society.  Condolences and memories to share with the family may be sent to www.countrysidefh.com.  Arrangements are under the direction of Countryside-Zimmerman Funeral Home, 206 E. Washington, Howard, Kansas 67349.

(taken from the Countryside Funeral Home website)

frawin

It shows he had a brother named Willis that preceded him in death, that should read Wilbur was his brother not Willis. Bill was a good friend and worked hard for the Alumni association.

patyrn

Thanks for noticing I had Wilbur's name wrong.  I always appreciate everyone's help to keep things straightened out and as correct as possible. 

frawin

Karen, you do a good job, with all you do. I assumed you cut and pasted and the Obituary had the mistake.
Frank

marlaknight48

Bill and Mom always had such a good time together, but then, the WHOLE FAMILY (7 kids) would gather for a wonderful meal followed by card games, or a music party (Mom or Grandma on the piano, and everyone singing).  I have some tapes of those times that are so precious to me.
Bill was a good dancer and a few years ago, we had quite a dance party at Mom's house in Mulvane.  He had brought a tape of some songs he liked, and he surprised me by dancing a few swing dances with me......with a big smile on his face!  What a great time! 
He and Vera made lots of trips to Wichita and he would often stop and visit with Mom.  As I worked through the family photos, I would count on Bill to tell me who this person is....or that person.  He was always happy to give me a call and talk about Howard memories and the folks I would find in the pictures at the M&M, etc.
I won't be able to be at the Services because I have to be on my way to Little Rock with my company, but I will be thinking of everyone and wishing I could see and visit with friends from Howard.  I will share my sincere condolences to Martha and Joe and  this little tribute to Bill, here on the website while thinking of everyone. 
Warmest wishes,
Marla Knight Gifford

frawin

Neat post Marla, I will be there tomorrow and think of you and Kathy both. If you ever get close to Bartlesville, OK, stop and seem me.
Frank

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk