Gardening

Started by Growit1, February 12, 2013, 03:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bullwinkle

One bed was planted about 25 years ago, the other about 30 yrs. It's in the garden space so no danger of getting mowed off, just have to keep weeds pulled and not till it. Also have some growing wild in a fence line, not so prolific, but good.

Yes, Wilma. The first one was eaten on the spot raw.

Wilma

I have been tempted to do that, but then there is the thought that my husband liked it, too, and if I took it in, we could share.

Ms Bear

I miss eating my way through the garden.

I will have blackberries in about two weeks.

Wilma

Change that to raspberries and I just might be down.  Are the blackberries the thornless kind?

Delbert

Planted 50 tomatoes yesterday and have plastic 5 gallon buckets over them so they won't self destruct tonight.  Probably should have waited but I think they will be ok with the buckets on them.  Has been a different spring.   I must have had a 100 martins last year.   I have 8 houses.   I have at the most 10 this year.  Last summer I found several young ones on the ground dead  due to the extreme heat.   I talked to a guy in Grenola and the same story at his place.  He thought all young ones died also.

Diane Amberg

So, no regular wallerina Impatiens plants this year. They have failed due to disease and will not be raised or sold to try to stop the spores. I might pick up a few New Guinea type, but they don't have the same masses of flowers.

Ms Bear

No Wilma, I think they have more thorns than berries.  We started them on a fence several years ago and I still have the fence but most of bearing plants are coming up about 10 feet of the fence.  I should have gotten out and pulled all the weeds and moved some of the newer plants back to the fence and just didn't do it.

I have a lot of wild berry plants too but they are usually pretty small and I leave them for the birds to eat.  Have a plum tree that was loaded with blooms and probably needs to be sprayed, it did pretty good last year. 

I love raspberries and don't know why we never planted any.   Will be getting blueberries by Father's Day, didn't plant any but bought four plants and gave them to someone with a green thumb and will go pick when they are ready.

jarhead

Ms Bear,
With all the good eating down your way I wouldn't waste my time picking berries. While at Kemah we drove on to San Leon and ate at Gilhooley's. Place wasn't much to look at but their gumbo was kick butt and the smoked oysters were even better---and the beer was ice cold.. Trip started out kinda bad. Spent Wed. night in Ennis, 55 miles from that explosion. Guess it rattled the motel but I slept thru it---I was dog tired !!!

Growit1

Delbert - You're one brave soul putting your toms out. Of course I might too if I had 50 buckets!  I just transplanted mine to bigger containers (again) today. Figured it will be at least a couple of weeks before the night time temp stays above 50 and they'll actually grow and not just sit there especially with the soil being so cold. Even with the plants being in the greenhouse they haven't been growing by leaps and bounds with all the cloudy weather we've had.

Ms Bear

Jarhead, you didn't eat at Kemah while you were there.  The food and service at Landry's was great.  Last year we drove down to Port Lavaca and stopped to eat, want to go back again just for the food.  Glad you didn't stop to eat in Cleveland, I usually go out of town to eat.

You were awfully close to the blast at West, glad you weren't there.  There isn't much left there, not sure they will ever return to normal.

Is anyone there growing goose berries?  My dad always had them in the flower bed in Oregon. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk