Gardening

Started by Growit1, February 12, 2013, 03:58:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Growit1

Jarhead - How are the Pink Girls doing? Been picking enough toms to have with supper every night. Figure it will be about a week until I'm inundated with enough tomatoes to start canning salsa etc. Cukes are going great and soon it will be pickle time!

Bullwinkle

What kind of bug is making small holes in tomatoes ? About pencil eraser size, not any deeper. Have sprayed with soap and canola oil while they've been growing and don't have any visible pests. Lots of wasps and mud daubers around this year though. Wondering if they are the culprits. Had some blossom rot until putting on calcium. Roma's, first to set on, still don't turn until picked and on widow sill for several days.

Diane Amberg

Delbert

passinger pigeons make those holes.

Diane Amberg

Bullwinkle

Anyone care to give any intelligent suggestions? Do wasps injure the fruit when going after the spiders ?

BTW, Diana, no bird could get to these maters. Go back to pestering Ross. This thread has been just fine without your antagonizing.

Growit1

It might be a tomato fruitworm. I've found a few in the last few days. The hole doesn't always go all the way to the interior - like they started and quit and moved on to another.

Bullwinkle

Exactly. Hole only 1/4 inch deep at most. Only on a few.

Pink Girls really are pink! Never had them before. I really like the flavor from the Jetstars and Celebritys a bit better, as well as the texture, but I just like to slice'em and eat'em, not make salsa. Is that your reason for growing the Pinks , Jar?

Diane Amberg

Ouch! Nice folks ya got out there.That attitude should bring people to move there in droves. :P

Growit1

Diane - I'd really like to know why you have such an all consuming need to involve yourself with absolutely everything in Elk County. By the way I like the people in Elk County - it's one of the reasons we moved here. I've found them to be friendly and more than willing to lend a helping hand if needed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk