The Roots of School Violence . . . .

Started by redcliffsw, January 31, 2013, 06:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redcliffsw

In 1965, the passage of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA), changed education forever as the seeds for today's massive restructuring -away from academics to behavior modification – began. It was psychology's crowning moment. The ESEA allocated massive federal funds and opened school doors to a flood of psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers and the psychiatric programs and testing needed to validate them. The number of educational psychologists in the U.S. increased from 455 in 1969 to 16,146 in 1992. As of 1994, child psychologists, psychiatrists, counselors and special educators in and around U.S. public schools nearly out-number teachers.
-Tom DeWeese

http://www.newswithviews.com/DeWeese/tom229.htm

Diane Amberg

Nope....Behavior modification was included with the academics, not instead of it. I was a college junior in 1965 and remember full well what was being taught.
  Those same kids, who had serious problems in school, had the same problems at home. It was the parents, not the teachers who were begging their docs for something to calm their kids down. They couldn't go anywhere with these kids, who wouldn't sit still in a restaurant, or would run wild in a store, wouldn't sit still and watch a movie and couldn't concentrate at home to do homework. They were impossible at family dinners and even their grandparents were complaining as to why they couldn't behave at a dinner table.
I never approved of the idea of medicating these kids, as hard as they could be to handle at school. There was just too much unknown about what these drugs do in the long run.  I understood the frustration, but I didn't think many of the experimental programs were very successful...too many variants.

Wilma

Not enough "rod" at home.  And who is to blame?  Maybe the generation that was too severe with discipline, thus creating a generation who swore to be gentler with their children, thus creating a generation without control and discipline.

mtcookson

Quote from: Wilma on January 31, 2013, 02:22:17 PM
Not enough "rod" at home.  And who is to blame?  Maybe the generation that was too severe with discipline, thus creating a generation who swore to be gentler with their children, thus creating a generation without control and discipline.

I think that can have some to do with it but I think its waaayyy deeper than even that. Its the whole family makeup these days, how there are so many children now that are raised in single parent homes, perhaps even sometimes in homes where both parents have to work, definitely with divorced parents as well. That mixed a falling away from God, horrible schooling, and an overbearing government... its just the perfect mixture for all of the trouble we have these days.

Interesting thought really... the parenting, schooling, government issues can seemingly be directly linked to the falling away from God.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk