Dear Elk County Commisioners and concerned citizens

Started by jprxmkt, January 27, 2013, 07:50:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patriot

Quote from: jprxmkt on January 27, 2013, 11:56:17 AM
That sums it up, doesn't it. If I don't have a kid that will benefit or if I won't personally benefit from it, then why should I support it? Is that what our communty is about? Is that all there is? Is that how the majority feels!!!!!!??????  Really???

Do we really need to regurgitate the 'all for the kids' mantra when it comes to buildings?  There are issues relative to education that transcend buildings, aren't there?  Just as there are issues relative county government that transcend a courthouse building or one part time staff position. 
Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Varmit

Quote from: jprxmkt on January 27, 2013, 11:56:17 AM
That sums it up, doesn't it. If I don't have a kid that will benefit or if I won't personally benefit from it, then why should I support it? Is that what our communty is about? Is that all there is? Is that how the majority feels!!!!!!??????  Really???

Unless I am completely off base didn't the majority vote on a bond issue not that long ago? And didn't the majority turn it down?  Now I could be completely wrong on this one, and if so then pass the salt and I will get to eating that crow. 
Now, since you bring up the idea of community and this thread was started in regards to the youth and economic development position you favor, would you please point the programs that were put into place for the kids of our community?  And please don't bring up the soccer camps because that was an Elk Konnected project.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Wilma

The bond issue that you keep bringing up was for a new grade school building, not on whether or not to close the Severy and Moline grade schools.  Closing the grade schools some time in the future was decided when it was decided to build a new high school building that didn't include room for the grade schools.  That was many, many years ago.  To us, the people that did the voting at that time, it was a foregone conclusion as to what would happen in the future.  It was the lack of thinking of the future instead of the present pocket book that made that mistake.

Now, it is still the thinking of the pocket book instead of what could happen in the future.  When we bought property here in Elk County in 1992, we knew that the tax rates were high, but that didn't stop us.  We understood that there wasn't a lot of tax resources available here.  The taxes weren't any lower when I moved here in 2005, but that didn't stop me.  I will bet that Patriot and Ross knew what the tax rates were when they bought and moved, too.  I don't know about Varmit, but if his children are not attending West Elk, his school tax money goes to a different district.  And since he belongs to a family that has lived in Elk County for many years and owns land in Elk County, I will bet he knew about the tax rates, also.

Besides, what does all that have to do with our commissioners stepping backward instead of forward?

upoladeb

nothing personel but would you be supporting her so much if she had tried to get a dollar general here?

Wilma

upoladeb

jennifer,the youth person.that i guess is also the economic person

Warph

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Varmit

I do not see how eliminating the position of youth development and economic director, or whatever the title is, is moving backwards? 

For the sake of clarification, does anyone know why the position was eliminated?
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Patriot

Quote from: Varmit on January 28, 2013, 08:53:03 PM
I do not see how eliminating the position of youth development and economic director, or whatever the title is, is moving backwards? 

For the sake of clarification, does anyone know why the position was eliminated?

Two primary reasons were given at the time the motion was made.

1.  The Commission had just decided to redistribute the county recreation monies to the various towns so they, rather than the county, could use the funds in their communities as they determined.  Further, one of the functions of the position was to coordinate use of these monies.

2.  Eliminating the part time position represented a savings to taxpayers of approximately $24,000 per year in wage, tax & benefit expenses.
Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Ross

Okay, I've been put down once again on this forum and I'm okay with that.
You have every right to express your opinion and I respect that.

As a taxpayer and a voter, I also have the same right. And I hope you can respect that!

What I have been reading amounts to nothing more in my personal opinion, is if the people of Elk County don't agree with the few Konnected folks they are wrong. Isn't that what you are saying?

Konnected Kounty Kommissioners admitted at a County Commissioners meeting when they had total control that Elk Konnected, LLC recommended that Elk County have an Employee to do Youth Development and the two Kontrolling votes of Konnected Kounty Kommissioners voted to accept Elk Konnected, LLC's recommendation. Wasn't that convenient?

I would suggest that if the privately owned company wishes to keep their Steering Committee Member as a Youth Development Employee fine, hire her.  Most companies/ LLC's do hire employees don't they?

However, as a Youth Development program for Elk County, I never saw anything that represented Youth Development. I know that organizations like the Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, 4-H, FFA and other such have programs, that are based on a schedule with the ability to learn and grow do provide Youth Development. That truly represents youth development to me. Since when is sitting down and watching a movie any form of development? Since when is sporadic anything youth development?

The County Youth Development Program never reached anywhere near ten percent of the children in Elk County, so what made the program worth thousands of dollars in pay and benefits? Nothing in my opinion! According to the US Census Bureau 25.7% of
Elk County is under 18, you can do the math. http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/20/20049.html

I believe the real problem is attitude of a few, just my opinion.

I personally have welcomed several new comers to our area.
I don't go around calling them outsiders as I have been called, thank you!

I personally, believe our County Commissioners deserve a pat on the back for a job well done.  But, I am sure you few konnected people do not, because our County Commissioners are not konnected kounty kommissioners katering to a few, they are County Commissioners catering to the whole of Elk County for the betterment of Elk County.

Oh, by the way you can not blame the County Commissioners for the Konnected failures with their Wellness Center or their Daycare now can you?

Elk Konnected, LLC wanted a Youth Development person, here is your chance, why not hire her?

Now, I am done with this thread.

So go ahead and tear me up, you are entitled to your opinion.

Thank you for reading my opinion.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk