A victim of gun violence speaks

Started by Mom70x7, January 08, 2013, 12:07:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mom70x7

Gabrielle Giffords is a victim; her husband, Mark Kelly,  is a Persian Gulf combat veteran. They have, and want to keep, guns in their home.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2013/01/07/gabby-giffords-mark-kelly-tucson-shooting-gun-control/1816383/

jarhead

I applaud them for wanting to keep their guns but who decides who" the responsible gun owners " are, that they solely  want to own weapons ? Is it only politicians and famous people that have a right to defend their homes with guns because they are in the public spotlight ?
I also take issue with --"Weapons designed for the battlefield have a home in our streets."
Why can't the liberal gun grabbers tell the truth ? Yes a AR-15 looks like a M-16 but they are not the same. The M-16 built for the battle field shoots full automatic, the AR-15 does not. Same for the SKS and AK-47 and a host of other military weapons that have a civilian models that looks the same. There is already a Federal law against owning or having in your possession  a full auto  military weapon

frawin

Ron, the AR-15 can easily be converted to fully automatic. The kit to do it is not that expensive.

jarhead

True Frank, just like a civilian M-1 carbine or about any semi auto weapon can be converted to shoot full auto if it has enough gas pressure but once you do it you are breaking a federal law and can be imprisoned and you will loose what would have been a legal weapon. As for expense---why spend any money if that full auto is what you want. Show me the sear and give me a file. Can't think of any of the mass killings the country has experienced in the last few years where the crazy used a full auto weapon.

jarhead

I stand corrected on filing the sear. It is the firing pin and and flipping a "secret" part.

frawin

Ron, it is legal, with the proper permit,  to own a fully automatic weapon in 37 states.

jarhead

I know that Frank, but owning one is HIGHLY regulated, and the average Joe can't afford one and the hoops you gotta jump thru makes it to where most people give up and you better have a squeaky clean past. Think there is something about they had to be made by a certain year too, but aint positive about that. Personally, I don't know why anyone would want one unless it's a vintage type, like a Tommy-Gun. A machine gun with tracers you can put them where you want them---but an M-16 on full auto gives you fire superiority and that's about it

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk