Doesn't Make Sense!

Started by Varmit, December 06, 2012, 08:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Varmit

I have a question for anybody that can provide a logical answer....

Over the last couple of years it seems that our county has taken a strange turn.  Used to be that when faced with a challenge the people of the community would come together and come up with a solution to whatever problem faced them.  However, recently this has not been the case.  Meetings meant to gain the opinions and insights of our citizens have had to be steered in certain directions.  Leaving the impression that the "solution" has already been pre-determined.  This point is illustrated by the fact that various community leaders seem to be unqualified or unable to lead a simple discussion and need help to "facilitate" these discussions and meetings.

So my question is why are these community leaders still holding the job if they are unable to do it?  Are our school board officials unable to ask our community what it thinks should happen with our schools?  Are our elected commissioners unable to ask questions of the voting public?  Is the "good ole' boy" system so ingrained within this county that we are unable to see that we are being "taken for a ride" where our tax dollars and elected officals are concerned?

Just a few questions that I would like honest answers for.  Thank you.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

readyaimduck

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.....and if my connections can come and do it for a special price, and give me kudos, then vote for me!
  Does that work?

ready

Varmit

Not really, Ready. But thanks for trying.

What I am looking for is the actual reason why our officials seem scared or unqualified to do the job they signed up for.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Wilma

Maybe the officials are tired of being criticized and crucified for every decision they make, be it good or be it bad.  Maybe they want outsiders to make recomendations so that they can't be accussed of favoritism.  Maybe?

Bullwinkle

I seriously doubt any of them are "tired" or afraid of criticisim, or that they will be accused of favoritism.

These groups touting "facilitators" have been in training in our liberal universities for some time now, and it would appear that they have a foot in the door here. I'm sure their initial approach seems quite positive and helpful. It is their real agenda that concerns me.

Our community leaders should certainly be intelligent and knowledgeable enough to make decisions without them.

Varmit

Quote from: Wilma on December 07, 2012, 08:08:49 AM
Maybe the officials are tired of being criticized and crucified for every decision they make, be it good or be it bad.  Maybe they want outsiders to make recomendations so that they can't be accussed of favoritism.  Maybe?

Wilma, first off let me say that I am not trying to start an argument here, or stir the pot (I know, thats a first).  But if our officals actually took the time to meet with the public, and get their input, and base their decisions off of that input, wouldn't that eliminate the criticism and such? If not all of it, then at least a big part of it?

And, give the recent amount conterversy over using outsiders to govern our community, do you feel that this is the wisest thing to do?

Quote from: Bullwinkle on December 07, 2012, 09:56:54 AM
      I seriously doubt any of them are "tired" or afraid of criticisim, or that they will be accused of favoritism.

Our community leaders should certainly be intelligent and knowledgeable enough to make decisions without them.
Bullwinkle, I agree!  But that begs the question, if they are uncapable of doing the job the why do they keep getting elected?

ELK@KC

The school board keeps getting elected because they are doing a great job providing an education to the students. West elk students get more scholarships on a percentage basis that any school around. West elk students do well in college and many of them are honor students in their respective universities and colleges.

Wilma

Do you know of any Elk County citizens that could do the job better than the ones that have been elected.  Unfortunately, not many of our citizens are well enough educated or experienced to do a job that requires a lot of knowledge in a lot of different fields.  And then when one does show up, he is so criticized and bad mouthed that he seeks employment somewhere else.  Wouldn't giving our officials credit for what they do under less than desirable circumstances, be more beneficial than blasting them all the time?

frawin

Wilma, you said it all very well. I think there are a lot of people that agree with you.

Varmit

Elk@KC you bring up some really good points about the students of West Elk. If what you say is true, and I'm assuming it is, then why the need for outside help? 

Wilma, there is always someone better, no matter what the job is.  But I can see your point about critizing someone all the time.  But do you think an elected offical should be immune to critizicism jsut because "they're doing the best they can"?  Or should they use said critizicism as a means to measure their job performance?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk