Portion of K-99 to Close?

Started by W. Gray, September 19, 2012, 11:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Does anyone know where the section of K-99 south of Moline is that KDOT proposes closing?

Apparently traffic would be routed on to a county road?

Is this permanent or temporary?

The mention in today's Prairie Star by one of the county commissioners seems to say it is permanent but leaves it hanging.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

sixdogsmom

Edie

W. Gray

Wayne Gudmonson with KDOT
appeared asking our opinion on the
closing of a section of Hwy 99 south
of Moline. It would be faster and less
expensive to close the road than to
build a shoefly. Commissioners expressed
concerns about the Highway
being closed and also the wear and
tear on the county road. KDOT has the final decision.

This was the item in today's paper. There is nothing else mentioned.

Upon re-reading, a shoefly is mentioned so this may just be temporary.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

flintauqua

Okay, this has to be dealing with a bridge replacement.  The only times I hear or read the words 'shoefly' from KDOT, it is a bridge replacement.  Currently they are utilizing the bypass or shoefly method on the replacement of the half-moon bridge over Bee Creek on US 166 near the Chautauqua/Montgomery County line.  They also did this when the bridge on the south edge of Sedan was replaced 10 or so years ago.

The only bridge I can think of south of Moline, but still in Elk County would be about 1.75 miles south of Murphy's Station/KDOT yard, over one of the upper forks of South Branch of Wildcat Creek, just north of BlackJack Road.  Everything else south of Moline are culverts.

County road bypass would be to reroute K-99 through Moline to the roundhouse corner, and take it south on Road 13 to at least BlackJack, but more likely Angus, since there is a not so good (or wide) bridge on BlackJack just west of K-99.

Personally, I think a much better way of doing this would be to rebuild the bridge one (wider) lane at a time, but I have a sneaky suspision that this particular bridge with probably get replaced with a very large, poured-in-place, double box culvert.  This would negate the one half at a time replacement option.

I know, more than you wanted to know, but I was on a roll.

Charlie
"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

Mom70x7

Don't know where this particular segment is - but in the past KDOT has requested closing Hwy 99 for repairs, rerouting traffic on county roads, and the commissioners continually don't like the idea, for the reasons mentioned.

flintauqua

Finally found the KDOT information on this project:

http://kdotapp.ksdot.org/TWorks/Projects/Info/KA-2060-01?countyId=025&chks=Y,N,PRESERVE,MODERNIZE,ENHANCE,LOCALPART,NPUBTRANS,NAVIATION,NRAIL,NBIKEPED&p=CurrentProjects

It is the bridge I mentioned in my previous post.  Scheduled start date isn't until July 30, 2014.

Other upcoming projects in Elk County:

http://kdotapp.ksdot.org/TWorks/Projects/Info/KA-2985-01?countyId=025&chks=Y,N,PRESERVE,MODERNIZE,ENHANCE,LOCALPART,NPUBTRANS,NAVIATION,NRAIL,NBIKEPED&p=CurrentProjects

Location: US-160: From the West Junction of US-160/K-99, East to the East Junction of US-160/K-99

Scope: Ultra Thin Bonded Asphalt Surfacing (UBAS) and Thermo Striping

Length: 1 mile

Scheduled Start Date: February 14, 2013

Scheduled End Date: October 18, 2013

http://kdotapp.ksdot.org/TWorks/Projects/Info/KA-2984-01?countyId=025&chks=Y,N,PRESERVE,MODERNIZE,ENHANCE,LOCALPART,NPUBTRANS,NAVIATION,NRAIL,NBIKEPED&p=CurrentProjects

Location: K-99: From the Chautauqua/Elk County Line, North to 0.033 Miles North of the East City Limits of Howard

Scope: Ultra Thin Bonded Asphalt Surfacing (UBAS), RR-Crossing, Thermo Striping

Length: 12 miles

Scheduled Start Date: February 14, 2013

Scheduled End Date: October 18, 2013

Charles
"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

W. Gray

From the October 24, 2012, Prairie Star concerning the "Elk County Commission"

Wayne Gudmonson, K-Dot Gudmonson said that they are making plans to replace a box culvert south of
Moline. In order to do that he would like to close off a mile of Hwy 99. Using a precast boxed culvert, the highway would be closed to through traffic for approximately 6 weeks. If they do a shoo-fly detour, it would probably be 4-6 months to complete the project. He wasn't here to make a decision, just to talk about the options with the commissioners.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk