Very Bad News: Credit Cards With RFID on them...

Started by Warph, September 18, 2012, 12:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

Credit Cards with RFID

Unbelievable!  Might want to check out your credit card to see if your card has this new technology.... Check out the video below, a real eye opener!!

Please do not delete this without watching it.  It could save you a great big headache.

This is important ! ! ! !

Credit Card danger - Look at your credit cards!

Watch the YouTube video below.....

[/font][/size][/b]

The risk inside your credit card

http://www.wthr.com/story/14001597/the-risk-inside-your-credit-card

Millions of credit cards now have a built-in device designed to make them more convenient. But is it also making your credit cards more vulnerable to fraud? 13 Investigates shows how credit card information can be stolen from your wallet while it's still inside your pocket.

Credit cards are getting a high-tech makeover.

Many of them now contain a tiny radio chip that allows customers to simply wave their credit card at the checkout line and be on their way.

Radio frequency identification (RFID) is an added convenience, according to Visa, MasterCard and American Express. The nation's three largest credit card companies have recently issued millions of credit and debit cards with RFID technology, and McDonald's, Walgreens, Office Depot and Meijer are among a growing number of restaurants and retailers that now process the radio signal embedded in the cards.

But some privacy experts say the technology comes with risk and controversy, and an Eyewitness News test shows why.

"Wow. That's Scary."

While many government agencies require protective covers for ID badges and all passport cards are shipped with a protective sleeve, no credit card companies or U.S. banks currently provide consumers with protective covers with their RFID-enabled credit cards.

A single protective sleeve for a credit card costs $4.99 (a 10-pack including protective sleeves for both credit cards and passports costs $19.99) plus shipping through Identity Stronghold. Other companies such as 3M and RFID Shield sell protective sleeves, as well. Purchased in bulk, the protective sleeves cost less than 50 cents each.

Augustinowicz says consumers can make a homemade remedy for just pennies by wrapping their credit card in a piece of aluminum foil.

"The metal from the foil will do the same thing and block the radio signal," he explained. "But consumers have to have the knowledge – they have to know they are getting these cards with radio chips in them – in order to protect themselves. This is a problem and this is real."

Rest of story at:
http://www.wthr.com/story/14001597/the-risk-inside-your-credit-card
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

srkruzich

Quote from: Warph on September 18, 2012, 12:27:36 PM
Who do you believe?

Statements from Visa, MasterCard and American Express:

http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/wthr/PDF/statementscreditcardcompanies.pdf

Uhmm this isn't new. they have been doing this for a few years now.  Yes they can steal it from you very easily, just walking past you. 
I do not have a passport with a rfid chip in it nor does my drivers license.  IF i ever get one, in the microwave it goes. that will muck up that chip.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

upoladeb

srkruzich

Quote from: upoladeb on September 18, 2012, 01:18:47 PM
does it hurt the micro-wave?
No it doesn't :)  i put it on a plate and then mic it for about 15 -20 seconds. just long enough to fry the chip but not long enough to fry the cards. :)  It also toasts the magnetic strip but i don't care, they can key in the number at the registers

srkruzich

Quote from: upoladeb on September 18, 2012, 01:18:47 PM
does it hurt the micro-wave?
The other thing you can do is take a nail and if you can find where the chip is, punch it with a nail

The best way is to use a hammer. find the chip in your card or passport and whack it hard a couple times. that will kill the chip
its also does not leave a trace that you intentionally damaged it. it is "illegal" to disable the chip in your passport or damage it.  But you can do it with a hammer and they can't prove you disabled it

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk