This and That...

Started by Warph, September 04, 2012, 01:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

Oscars 2013: Michelle Obama announces long-awaited merger of Hollywood and the State

I'm done with the Oscars now... finally... for good... What I  have quietly been predicting since the late 20th century has finally happened...

The White House is now, unquestionably, part of the Hollywood machine, and vice versa... Congratulations.

....Warph
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

--Warph

-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

Massachusetts Democrat Files Bill Allowing Animal Rights Loons To Sue Hunters....

So we're going to have Team PETA suing human beings on behalf of Bambi?  Brilliant!

Massachusetts State Senator Mark Montigny (D-New Bedford) recently introduced a bill that would allow private individuals to file a lawsuit for the "protection and humane treatment of animals." This is of great concern for all sportsmen, farmers, and dog owners.

Animal cruelty is already a crime in Massachusetts just as it is across the country. Animal cruelty laws are enforced by experienced law enforcement officers, including local police forces and animal control officers, who are trained on what is and is not animal cruelty under the law and how to spot it.

Senate Bill 767 would end this proven system and instead give private citizens the ability to sue animal owners over what they perceive to be "animal cruelty" under the law.

Read More Via The Sportsmen's Daily:
http://www.ussportsmen.org/legislative-action/massachusetts-bill-allows-animal-rights-activists-to-sue-sportsmen/
--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Muslim residents of southern Egyptian city try to storm church in
search of missing woman

I guess they missed their "Islam is a religion of peace and tolerance"
and "no compulsion in religion" classes.  Hmmm... is that Obuma on the
far left behind beard boy?

LUXOR, Egypt –   Security officials say hundreds of Muslim residents have thrown firebombs and rocks at police outside a church in the south of Egypt.

They accuse local Christians of providing a safe haven for a missing woman suspected of converting.

Six policemen and a dozen Christians were wounded in the clashes late Thursday in the town of Kom Ombo, near the Aswan High Dam.

Tensions rose after a 36-year-old Muslim woman disappeared five days ago. She was allegedly spotted outside the Mar Gergis church in Kom Ombo on Thursday.

Officials say within a few hours, hundreds of Muslims gathered outside the church and tried to storm it, believing she was hiding inside.

Police erected checkpoints around the church Friday in anticipation of more protests. Officials spoke anonymously in line with regulations.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/03/01/muslim-residents-southern-egyptian-city-try-to-storm-church-in-search-missing/#ixzz2MS4N6Ouk
--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

'Piers Morgan Tonight' Hits Yearly Low in 25-54 Demographic

Go back to Britain, Piers, you're a failure.  Oh, I forgot... they don't want you back.

The February 28th episode of Piers Morgan Tonight, which featured an exclusive interview with Gus Searcy, the mentor of Jodi Arias suffered a yearly low in the key 25-54 demographic with only 87,000 viewers. The show is down 27% in total viewers and 38% in the demo from its debut in Jan. 17th, 2011.

Piers Morgan Tonight also had the lowest demo in its time slot and was even beat by HLN's Dr. Drew (with 208,000).
--Warph

-- Warph

jarhead

Marine generals showing rare dominance of top jobs

Jim Michaels, USA TODAY9a.m. EST February 24, 2013

"The Marine Corps is clearly punching above its weight," says one expert.

When U.S. and NATO top brass gathered in Kabul to mark a change in the top leadership this month, all three American generals lined up on stage were Marines.
Afghanistan is a landlocked country, but for the second consecutive time President Obama nominated a Marine to lead the war there. Joining the outgoing and incoming commanders on stage was Marine Gen. Jim Mattis, chief of the command that oversees all forces in the Middle East region.

Little noticed outside defense circles, it was a historic moment for the Marine Corps, a seagoing service whose humble beginnings were to provide security and landing parties for Navy ships.

"The Marine Corps is clearly punching above its weight," said Peter Mansoor, a retired Army colonel and military history professor at Ohio State University. "This is a very unusual and singular moment in Marine Corps history."

The Marines are aware of just how singular it is.

With 195,000 troops it is the smallest service of the armed forces, representing only 8% of the overall Defense Department budget. Until World War II, the Marines didn't have an active duty four-star general.

Today it has six four-star generals, a record number, serving in prominent positions around the world. Gen. John Allen, who stepped down as commander in Afghanistan, was the first Marine to command an entire theater of war.

The commandant of the Marine Corps, Gen. James Amos, said it was not something that happened by design. "We've just got a string of very seasoned combat generals," Amos said in a recent speech at the American Enterprise Institute.

Analysts agree, saying the Marine generals are chosen on an individual basis as commands have to be filled.

Still, they point to a couple factors that have contributed to the growing prominence of the Marine Corps: The wars in Iraq and Afghanistan played to the strength of Marine officers, and the emphasis on joint commands mean Marines have more opportunities to take jobs outside their service.

The joint commands "got the leadership the recognition that it has deserved," said Walt Ford, editor of Leatherneck magazine and a retired Marine colonel.

The success Marines have had in top positions may also have something to do with their leadership training, Mansoor said.

"I think there is something about how Marines approach professional military education that produces officers with a broad view of the world and who are flexible and can deal with the very different challenges of the type of wars we're fighting today," he said.

"With a few exceptions, the Army tends to breed good company men," Mansoor added.

The Marine Corps is as much a mindset as it is a set of capabilities. The service bills itself as an expeditionary force, able to get to hot spots fast with lots of firepower. But its reputation is built on something less tangible: fighting spirit, or what Marines call esprit de corps.

"Marines don't celebrate their technology to the same extent as the Navy and Air Force," said Aaron O'Connell, a Marine reserve officer and author of Underdogs: The Making of the Modern Marine Corps.

That spirit may have made the Marines more insular in the past, but today it has helped them rise to prominent positions as the United States battles irregular enemies far from its shores.

"I think the Marines have a cultural advantage over the other services when it comes to dealing with chaos and uncertainty," O'Connell said.

The rising prominence of Marine leaders has not gone unnoticed by the other services. "There is a big competition for the U.S. commands," Ford said.

The Marine Corps is particularly sensitive to competition from the other services, who in the past have been behind efforts to eliminate or shrink the corps. The Marine Corps has survived 20 such attempts since its founding in 1775, O'Connell said.

The Corps' popularity on Capitol Hill and among the American public has always saved it, but that history has infused Marines with a healthy dose of paranoia. "The Marine Corps more than any other service is forever vigilant to threats to its existence," O'Connell said.

Even today Marines worry about getting complacent. "Most Marines look at it as a bubble we won't see again for a long time," Ford said of the record number of four-star generals.

In fact, upcoming retirements will likely reduce the number of Marine generals. Allen announced this week that he plans to retire, turning down a nomination to be the top NATO officer in Europe. Allen's likely replacement is Air Force Gen. Philip M. Breedlove, the Associated Press reported, citing an unnamed senior NATO official.

Mattis will step down as chief of Central Command and will be replaced by an Army general, the Pentagon has said.

Still, analysts say the Marine Corps can finally let go of its fears.

"The Marine Corps should not worry about its organizational survival," Mansoor said. "The American people have embraced it as an institution."

Warph

PINETOP, Ariz. -- A gun shop owner in eastern Arizona is making headlines with a politically-charged sign he decided to hang outside of his business. Cope Reynolds owns the Southwest Shooting Authority in Pinetop, and just days after President Barack Obama was reelected he decided that he would no longer allow Obama supporters in his store. Reynolds proceeded to put up a sign outside his business that told Obama fans that they're not welcome in his store because, "you have proven you are not responsible enough to own a firearm."

Word of Reynolds' sign quickly spread across the country, with critics suggesting that Reynolds' motives were racially based. Reynolds insists he's not racist, explaining that he's just concerned about Obama's policies. "It wouldn't make a difference if he was black, white, brown, man, woman, homosexual, it wouldn't make any difference," said Reynolds. "It's the manner in which this country is being run that disturbs us." There's one thing about Reynolds' anti-Obama sign that can't be disputed: it's good for business.

"We're getting people ordering guns from New York and Nevada and Idaho because of this sign," said Reynolds. "For every one I might lose I'm probably picking up 10." And even if his sign were hurting his business, Reynolds says he'd still speak his mind. "It's not about money. It's about freedom, it's about America, my kids, and what they're going to inherit," he proclaimed.

Reynolds plans to keep the sign up in his store for the next four years.

http://www.ammoland.com/2012/11/southwest-shooting-authority-of-arizona-tells-obama-voters-to-get-lost/#axzz2MX9aBVBw
--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Two Airports Cited By Big Sis As Having Sequester-Related Delays Both Say She's Lying...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9908416/Airports-contradict-Janet-Napolitanos-sequester-claim.html

Did she really think nobody would check?

Airports have denied a claim by Janet Napolitano, the secretary of homeland security, that the sequester is already causing long delays for travelers at security screening checkpoints.

Ms Napolitano said today that major airports were seeing lines "150 to 200 per cent as long as we would normally expect" as result of the federal spending cuts that went into force on Friday.

"We're already seeing the effects at some of the ports of entry, the big airports, for example. Some of them had very long lines this weekend," she told a breakfast event organised by Politico.

When pressed for specifics she cited Chicago's O'Hare, Atlanta's Hartfield-Jackson and Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), adding: "I don't mean to scare, I mean to inform."

However, when contacted by The Daily Telegraph, spokespeople for both O'Hare and LAX, as well as representatives from the travel industry, denied that airports had been hit by delays.

"We haven't had any slowdowns at all," said Marshall Lowe, a spokesman for LAX. Mr Lowe said that he had been on duty over the weekend and received no reports of unusual security delays.

Yeah... Arizona is quite happy to see her gone.  She fits in well with that lying president that we have!!
--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Fun Fact of The Day:
Obuma Borrowed Almost 6 Times As Much In February
Alone As Sequester Cuts All Year...

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/2535b-obama-borrowed-nearly-6x-much-february-sequester-cuts-all-year

(CNSNews.com) – During the month of February–as President Barack Obama was warning Americans they would see dramatic effects in their lives if "sequestration" of some planned federal spending kicked in–the federal government's debt climbed by $253.5 billion.

That one-month increase in the debt was nearly six times as much as the $44 billion in spending cuts the Congressional Budget Office estimates will take place in all of fiscal 2013 as a result of sequestration.

At the close of business on Jan. 31, 2013, the federal debt was $16,433,791,850,294.04, according to the U.S. Treasury. At the close of business on Feb. 28, 2013, the federal debt was $16,687,289,180,215.37. Thus, the federal debt increased $253,497,329,921.33 during the month.

Bye, Bye American Pie....

...Warph
--Warph

-- Warph

Janet Harrington

jarhead, Really liked the Marine news. Thanks for putting it on here. I have a nephew who is a Marine and, of course, know many others who are.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk