This and That...

Started by Warph, September 04, 2012, 01:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

We all have things to complain about. We always have and we always will. But it strikes me that the things we have to gripe about have become increasingly important over the past 30 years or so because so often they leave America and the world in worse shape than before.

Our education system, once the envy of the world, has become hostage to progressive teachers, professors, administrators, fascistic student bodies and Islamic pressure groups.

Our mass media, which at one time, at least made the attempt to deal objectively with the news has, in the wake of Woodward and Bernstein's enormous success, tossed off even the pretense of being anything other than a propaganda outlet for a liberal agenda.

Our politicians, who used to at least try to appear bi-partisan on issues important to the well-being of America, made it possible for voters who claimed they voted for the man, not the party, to sound principled and not merely self-deluded.

I was once married to a woman who, as a child, had come up with what I regarded as so diabolical a plan, she could have easily have taken top prize in a Machiavellian competition, if there had been such a thing. When she was about seven or eight, she took it upon herself to teach her brother, who was three or four at the time, the colors. But she intentionally taught them wrong, so he thought orange was blue and yellow was black and green was red. When I asked her why she had done it, she couldn't recall. I guess when you're seven or eight, you do evil things for no other reason than that it's fun.

That's the case, unless you're a liberal at any age. Then you can pretend that global warming is settled science when, in reality, it's merely a way for some people, people like Al Gore, to get rich and for other people, people such as Obama, Reid, Pelosi and Schumer, to gain even more control over the economy and the electorate, as they did with the satanic Affordable Care Act.

I used to question the mere existence of NATO. Knowing the European nations for the contemptible, leftist cowards they are, I couldn't imagine why we continued to be a member. Once the organization threw the doors open to Turkey, an Islamic fox in the chicken coop, I knew that whatever past excuse there may have been for our membership, it no longer existed. Perhaps others were surprised by Turkey's refusal to allow us to have airbases within its borders for the purpose of attacking the Islamic State, but not I. The fact is that Muslims, as we've seen time and again, haven't the slightest objection to killing other Muslims, but they really hate it when non-Muslims, otherwise known as infidels, get in on the fun.

People who aren't thinking straight complain that we're stuck with a do-nothing Congress. It strikes me as the ideal situation. I mean, why would anyone want these people passing more laws and creating more regulations? If a toddler marks up your walls with crayons, would any sane person deal with the situation by providing him with an open can of paint? If it were up to me, Congress would meet for one month a year, and I would cut their salaries, pensions and staffs, by an equivalent 87.5 %.

Every once in a while, the difference between having talent and possessing wisdom, decency or even commonsense, is as obvious as an elephant in your kitchen. I happen to think that England's Emma Thompson is not only a great actress, but a wonderful screenwriter, but that doesn't prevent her from being an anti-Semitic apologist for the Arabs and Muslims trying to exterminate Israel.

I also happen to think that Carl Reiner is a gifted actor, writer and director, and a nice guy so long as you're not discussing politics. I've been a fan for about 65 years, ever since he was a regular on the Sid Caesar Show. But a few years ago, he told me that he had two photos on the wall behind his desk. One was of FDR; the other was of Barack Obama.

He also told me that next to the Gettysburg Address, he thought that Obama's speech about there being neither a blue America nor a red America, but only a purple America, was the greatest speech in human history.

Now even if Obama hadn't proven himself to be most divisive president ever, outdoing even Lincoln, who only divided America geographically, it is outrageous for an educated person to accord Obama's speech such homage.

Would anyone seriously claim that it was greater than Christ's Sermon on the Mount? Greater than FDR's first inaugural, in which he assured Americans midst the Depression that they had nothing to fear but fear itself? Greater than Lou Gehrig's farewell to baseball in which the doomed 36-year-old claimed to be the luckiest man on the face of the earth? Greater than Patrick Henry's inspiring address in 1775, in which he rallied his countrymen to the Revolution by declaring, "I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me Liberty or give me Death"? Greater than Indian Chief Joseph's concluding his speech surrendering the Nez Perce tribe to the U.S. Army with the eloquent "From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more"?

How about Reagan's address to the nation after the Challenger's explosion, honoring the seven Astronauts for their courage as "they slipped the surly bounds of earth" in order to "touch the face of God"? Or any of Churchill's morale-boosting speeches to the British people during the darkest days of World War II, but especially his 1940 address to the House of Commons, in which, employing the rumbling voice of God, which he often borrowed for such occasions, he said, "Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will say, 'This was their finest hour.'"

In conclusion, it is worth noting that in 1850, California became the 31st state in the Union. Way back then, the people had no electricity. The state had no money. There were gun fights in the streets. Much of the land was desert, inhospitable to humans or agriculture. And most people spoke Spanish.

In other words, nothing much has changed in 164 years, except that it's gotten a lot harder to find a parking space.

.....Burt
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Ross

I just recieved this from a friend. It was dated 1934.

Warph

--Warph

-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

Rip Van Whitey - Part 5

Diversity Paradise City

On waking, he found himself on the green knoll whence he had first seen the young man of the glen. He rubbed his eyes—it was a bright sunny morning. The birds were hopping and twittering among the bushes, and the eagle was wheeling aloft, and breasting the pure mountain breeze. "Surely," thought Rip, "I have not slept here all night."

He recalled the occurrences before he fell asleep. The strange man with a keg of liquor, the mountain ravine, the wild retreat among the rocks, the woebegone party, the inscrutable monologue from that distinguished gentleman, the flagon—"Oh! That flagon! That wicked flagon!" thought Rip. "What excuse shall I make to Dame Van Whitey!"

As he rose to walk, he found himself stiff in the joints, and wanting in his usual activity. "These mountain beds do not agree with me," thought Rip; "and if this frolic should lay me up with a fit of the rheumatism, I shall have a blessed time with Dame Van Whitey."

With some difficulty he got down into the glen. The morning was passing away, and Rip felt famished for want of his breakfast. He dreaded to meet his wife, but it would not do to starve among the mountains. He shook his head and, with a heart full of trouble and anxiety, turned his steps homeward.

As he approached the village he met a number of people, but none whom he knew, which somewhat surprised him, for he had thought himself acquainted with everyone in the country round. Their dress, too, was of a different fashion from that to which he was accustomed: wife-beaters atop oversize pants slung down around knees, exposing underwear; gold orthodontia protruding from scowling mouths; tattoos covering all visible flesh. They all stared at him with equal marks of hostility and scorn, and whenever they cast their eyes upon him, invariably grumbled some insult or threat. The constant recurrence of this behavior induced Rip, involuntarily, to stroke his chin, when to his astonishment, he found his beard had grown a foot long!

He had now entered the skirts of the village. A troop of strange, nappy-headed children ran at his heels, throwing rocks at him and swearing profusely. The dogs, too, not one of which he recognized, but all appearing to be some sort of pit bull mix, barked at him as he passed. The very village was altered: it was a filthy slum. There were rows of ramshackle lean-tos which he had never seen before, and those which had been his familiar haunts had disappeared. Ruins of old structures lay strewn around, as if ransacked. All sorts of refuse—both of the man-made and human-body-made kinds—littered the streets, which were now just patches of asphalt amongst the dirt and gravel. There was an awful stench in the air, a putrid mix of sewage and gas and cooking chicken. Filthy children ran around and played in the filth; filthy adults hooted and hollered on their stoops, smoking their marijuana and drinking their malt liquor, occasionally screaming or kicking at the children. Chickens pecked around willy-nilly for aliment.

Strange music blared from all directions in a cacophonic horror; strange faces peered at him from the holes in the lean-tos; everything was strange. His mind now misgave him; he began to doubt whether both he and the world around him were not bewitched. Surely this was his native village, which he had left but the day before. There stood the Catskill Mountains; there ran the silver Hudson at a distance; there was every hill and dale precisely as it had always been. Rip was sorely perplexed—"That flagon last night," thought he, "has addled my poor head sadly!"

To be continued...

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Lawsuit: ACA navigators used as union recruiters

'Dems Suing Dems In Texas: Lawsuit Claims Obamacare
Navigators Used As Union Recruiters'

THEY'RE BACK: The group's founder faces
new accusations that sound like the old ones

(I think most people know this sorta thing happens,
but to have Dems suing other Dems over it is gold)

By Jon Cassidy | Watchdog.org - October 9, 2014
http://watchdog.org/175987/lawsuit-aca-navigators-used-union-recruiters/

HOUSTON – A lawsuit filed by an organizer for Battleground Texas accuses a labor group established by ACORN founder Wade Rathke of instructing an Obamacare navigator to spend time recruiting union members.

The complaint echoes decades-old criticisms of Rathke and ACORN: They use federal money meant for services to the poor in pursuit of their own labor organizing activities.

Cedric Anthony, who went to work for the Democratic Party's Texas recruitment operation, filed a wage-and-hour lawsuit in June against two groups he says jointly employed him as a "federal navigator assisting people with the Affordable Care Act" – Southern United Neighborhoods and Local 100 United Labor Unions.

Both groups were founded by former ACORN organizers, the latter by its founder, Rathke. In his federal suit, Anthony alleges that while he worked as a federal navigator from Dec. 12, 2013, to April 1, 2014, in the Houston area, his "responsibilities included traveling to school campuses to register cafeteria workers to the labor union and attending community events to register individuals for the Affordable Care Act."

The watchdog group Cause of Action discovered the lawsuit recently, and sent a letter to the Inspector General of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services calling for an audit to determine whether the two groups misused federal funds for their own benefit. The group notes SUN has received $1.4 million from HHS to employ Obamacare navigators, and its sub-grantee United Labor Unions spent $189,000 in 2013 as part of its contract to provide navigators to enroll people in Obamacare.

Anthony says he was hired by SUN, which holds the navigator contract, and later directed to enroll union members for ULU. Although he worked for both groups, he said his instructions came from the same person. His complaint depicts blurred lines between the two groups, which "shared the same offices in Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, and Little Rock."

The lone attorney for both defendants denies SUN and ULU acted jointly; he says the labor group was Anthony's sole employer. He also denies the two "shared the same offices," although he admits they each "have offices located in the same building in each of the five cities."

Fox News reports that four other SUN employees have joined the lawsuit.

Rathke's groups have a long history of using workers hired with federal funds for political purposes. ACORN's implosion amid scandal in 2009 is widely known, but the very first complaint against the group is much the same as Anthony's. In 1977, ACORN had a $470,000 federal contract to assist the poor through the Volunteer in Service to America program, which it lost after a congressional investigation found VISTA workers were being used as union recruiters.

A congressional report on those events bears an uncanny resemblance to the present case. If you change a few names – ACORN to SUN, ULO to ULU, and VISTA to ACA – the old story sounds rather familiar:

"The ULO (United Labor Organizations), which was described as a 'separate entity' that ACORN 'is helping to get started,' shares space in the same building as ACORN in New Orleans. The sign in front of the building says 'ACORN'  on one side and 11ULO11 on the other. The HWOC (Household Workers Organizing Committee), also located in the same building, was said to be a ULO 'subsidiary organization.' It was stated that ACORN rents the building and that both ULO and HWOC rent space from ACORN, but the Investigative Staff was unable to verify this arrangement without access to ACORN's accounting records.

"Five VISTAs were actively working with the HWOC, reporting directly to the chief organizer, until late this past spring when the ACTION Office of Compliance directed that the assignments be terminated. There is as yet, however, very much of an indirect involvement of VISTAs and the use of grant money in the labor organizing activity of ACORN. First, ACORN has only limited staff resources .... Without the VISTAs to take over neighborhood organizing chores, it is doubtful whether the manpower would be available to mount a credible union organizing effort. Thus, the availability of VISTAs is facilitating (if not making practicable) the ACORN move into labor organizing. Second, there are no safeguards, of which the Investigative Staff is aware, to prevent membership dues solicited by VISTAs from being used for labor organizing."

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Complete IDIOT Gwyneth Paltrow:
It Would Be Wonderful If We Could Give Obuma
All The Power That He Needs

(Barf-inducing cult worship... Obama sycophants are pathetic, unfulfilled dreamers... too gullible to realize they are being taken for a ride by the most prolific liar ever to occupy the White House.)

Via The Blaze:
Actress Gwyneth Paltrow lavished praise on President Barack Obama Thursday night during a Democratic National Committee fundraiser that took place at her Los Angeles home.

Speaking at the event, which had tickets starting at a minimum of $1,000 for the reception and $15,000 for the dinner, Paltrow introduced the president by saying, "I am one of your biggest fans, if not the biggest."

The famous actress, joined by her children, continued to shower Obama with compliments.

According to the White House pool report, she said: It would be wonderful if we were able to give this man all of the power that he needs to pass the things that he needs to pass.

Paltrow called the president's push for equal pay "very important to me as a working mother."

At the conclusion of her introduction, she turned the microphone over to Obama, telling him, "You're so handsome that I can't speak properly."

The president then continued to deliver what was described by the White House pool as one of his standard fundraising speeches. Julia Roberts and Bradley Whitford were among other celebrities spotted in attendance.

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Top Obuma Rumpswab Paul Krugman:
"This Is What A Successful Presidency Looks Like"

(Keep sniffing that coke, Paul... Oh, and ObumaCare is a joke.  No one knows how many Americans are on the roles.  http://humanevents.com/2014/10/09/more-obamacare-cancellations-on-their-way/ 
)

Via Salon:
    From his perch as a New York Times columnist, Nobel Prize-winning economist Paul Krugman has often proven a thorn in President Barack Obama's left side. So Krugman naturally generated buzz with his new Rolling Stone essay "In Defense of Obama," a lengthy look at the president's policy record and legacy.

Krugman's conclusion? "This is what a successful presidency looks like," he declares.

Obama may not have delivered every progressive goal, but his track record is nonetheless a solid one, Krugman argues. On health reform, Krugman writes that he and many other liberals would have liked to see a single-payer option, but politically, that "wasn't on the table." Despite its shortcomings, the Affordable Care Act has delivered health care to about 10 million new people and, the economist contends, is helping to slow the growth of health costs.

--Warph

-- Warph

Ross

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk