This and That...

Started by Warph, September 04, 2012, 01:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flintauqua

The snopes entry on the ten axioms supposedly uttered or penned by Lincoln is an interesting read on how misattribution can get out of control -

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/lincoln/prosperity.asp
"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

Warph

Quote from: flintauqua on January 02, 2013, 10:20:24 PM
The snopes entry on the ten axioms supposedly uttered or penned by Lincoln is an interesting read on how misattribution can get out of control -

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/lincoln/prosperity.asp

From Snopes:

Prosperity Disparity
Claim:   Abraham Lincoln authored a list of maxims beginning with 'You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.'"

FALSE

Origins:   One of author Ralph Keyes' axioms of misquotations is "Famous quotes need famous mouths," and the fulfillment of that need has, for the last several decades, put on the lips of Abraham Lincoln words that were not written until more than fifty years after Lincoln's death, penned by an obscure personage whose name is unknown to most living Americans.

The Rev. William John Henry Boetcker was a Presbyterian minister and notable public speaker who served as director of the pro-employer Citizens' Industrial Alliance, a position he held when, in 1916, he produced a booklet of "nuggets" from his lectures, which included maxims such as "We cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong" and "We cannot help the poor by kicking the rich." Boetcker's collection of maxims eventually crystallized as the list of ten now-familiar entries (variously known as the "Industrial Decalogue," the "Ten Don'ts," the "Ten Cannots," "Ten Things You Cannot Do, "or the "American Charter") reproduced above:

* You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
* You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
* You cannot help little men by tearing down big men.
* You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
* You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
* You cannot establish sound security on borrowed money.
* You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
* You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than you earn.
* You cannot build character and courage by destroying men's initiative and independence.
* You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they can and should do for themselves.

Sources differ on exactly how Boetcker's decalogue eventually came to be attributed to Lincoln, but it is generally accepted that someone published a leaflet with Boetcker's list of "cannots" on one side and authentic Lincoln quotations on the other, leading to an inevitable mix-up that resulted in everything printed on both sides of the paper being attributed to Lincoln. (The pamphlet in question is usually claimed to be a 1942 publication by the Committee for Constitutional Government entitled "Lincoln on Limitation(s)," with the confusion of attribution coming about because one version of the pamphlet omitted Boetcker's name, because the printed credits mistakenly switched Boetcker's name with Lincoln's, or because readers glossed over Boetcker's unfamiliar name and mistakenly assumed that all the material in the leaflet originated with the more familiar Abraham Lincoln.)

Once the runaway train of misattribution got rolling, there was no stopping it. As William Boetcker faded from public memory and Abraham Lincoln grew ever larger in American historical legend, few people had an interest or desire in setting the matter right — in accordance with another principle set forth by Keyes: "If words we like can't be credited to someone we've heard of, they might as well not have been said at all."

And any chance of genuine history winning out over the faux version in this case was probably set back at least a generation when another U.S. president, Ronald Reagan, stood before a nationwide audience at the 1992 Republican National Convention and delivered a speech in which he also erroneously attributed four of Boetcker's maxims to Lincoln:
I heard those speakers at that other convention saying "we won the Cold War" — and I couldn't help wondering, just who exactly do they mean by "we"? And to top it off, they even tried to portray themselves as sharing the same fundamental values of our party! What they truly don't understand is the principle so eloquently stated by Abraham Lincoln: "You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves."

Reagan's 1992 Republican National Convention:
http://web.archive.org/web/20040622082719/http://www.gopconvention.com/contents/newsroom/reagan/1992.shtml

William John Henry Boetcker (1873–1962) was an American religious leader and influential public speaker:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_J._H._Boetcker

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

jarhead

I'm not even going to comment on this because when something pertains to what happens back East I am always informed I don't know what I'm talking about because I don't live there---Thank You Lord !!!
I do think I know who designed and built the plant though---oh lighten up---I'm just yanking your chain . ;D

Delaware taxpayers increasingly on the hook as Fisker auto plant idles

Oct. 27, 2009: Vice President Biden announces that Fisker will build plug-in electric cars at the shuttered GM plant in Wilmington, Del. The project was later put on hold amid financial troubles. (White House)

Delaware taxpayers appear to be getting soaked twice under a deal in which the Democratic governor lent $21.5 million to a hybrid electric carmaker to set up shop in the state. The company has yet to produce a car in Delaware, and taxpayers are footing the electric bill for the idle plant.

The deal was enthusiastically announced in 2009 by Gov. Jack Markell and Vice President Biden -- formerly Delaware's senior senator -- as a way to bring as many as 2,500 green jobs to the state. But California-based Fisker Automotive Inc. has since suffered a series of setbacks that have compounded its shaky financial situation.

"It has not worked out the way he had envisioned," Markell spokeswoman Cathy Rossi acknowledged Monday in a statement to FoxNews.com. "We didn't know and couldn't have known about the underlying technical and financial problems."

Delaware reportedly has paid at least $400,000 in utility bills since about April, when Fisker halted operations and laid off dozens of workers at the 142-acre, Wilmington-area facility. Markell staffers told The News Journal the payments are part of the grant deal and necessary to at least keep Fisker's small-scale operation on life support.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/03/delaware-taxpayers-increasingly-on-hook-as-fisker-auto-plant-idles/?test=latestnews#ixzz2Gvk0ekV0
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01/03/delaware-taxpayers-increasingly-on-hook-as-fisker-auto-plant-idles/?test=latestnews#ixzz2GvjmmOZi

Diane Amberg

Sadly, that's all very true and we are totally disgusted about it.
I've got some personal concerns about the new "Bloom box" fuel cell plant that is being built too. Much too much has not been disclosed to the public. There is too much hush,hush, 'just trust us' going on.
Remember, I'm an Independent, not a Democrat. I never accept anything ''just because,''especially if there is any kind of political component to it.
You are back to the generalities again though. I never, ever said you are ''always" wrong about things here. You have missed some things because you aren't here. Just as I know lots of details, never made public, about Joe Biden, because I live here. No big deal. I knew his father casually because he worked at a nearby car dealership. So what? Sadly, I know all the details about Nelia's death.
No, my little company wouldn't bid out to be owner's reps for big industrial plants...not my area of expertise. I do just schools and fire stations. That's plenty for a part time, two person shop, that does just one project at a time.
Our newest , the Newark Jr. Sr.  Charter High is really starting to look like something good now. They are ready to pour the supporting columns for the new gym shortly and most of the dry wall is up inside. It looks like we'll come in at just about 9 million total, none of it taxpayer money. The new Smyrna public high school was 35 million...all of it taxpayer money.
Go ahead and yank my chain...I know I'm good at what I do....and humble too. ;D

jarhead

Quote from Diane:
You are back to the generalities again though. I never, ever said you are ''always" wrong about things here. You have missed some things because you aren't here. Just as I know lots of details, never made public, about Joe Biden, because I live here. No big deal. I knew his father casually because he worked at a nearby car dealership. So what? Sadly, I know all the details about Nelia's death.
No, my little company wouldn't bid out to be owner's reps for big industrial plants...not my area of expertise. I do just schools and fire stations. That's plenty for a part time, two person shop, that does just one project at a time.
Our newest , the Newark Jr. Sr. Charter High is really starting to look like something good now. They are ready to poor the supporting columns for the new gym shortly and most of the dry wall is up inside. It looks like we'll come in at just about 9 million total, none of it taxpayer money. The new Smyrna public high school was 35 million...all of it taxpayer money.
Go ahead and yank my chain...I know I'm good at what I do....and humble too.

Yes, I "borrowed" this from someone but sometimes when the shoe fits-----------
Quote:
fight the urge to respond....fight the urge to respond....fight the urge to respond...don't feed the gopher. :angel:

jarhead

So Gore wanted to sell his POS TV channel to someone "aligned with his point of view ". With his views, I am surprised he wasn't Obama's VP

Report: Glenn Beck tried to buy Current TV, Al Gore went with Al-Jazeera

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2013/01/03/al-gore-current-tv-glenn-beck-al-jazeera/?intcmp=features#ixzz2GwG8AFj9

Al-Jazeera wasn't the only media company with its sights set on former Vice President Al Gore's little-watched Current TV.

Glenn Beck's Blaze Media approached the struggling cable news network last year, the Wall Street Journal reports, but was rebuffed because "the legacy of who the network goes to is important to us and we are sensitive to networks not aligned with our point of view."

Instead, Gore went with the Emir of Qatar-funded Arab news channel Al-Jazeera

Diane Amberg

;D ;D ;D Hey Jar... I didn't give you permission to use my own quote ..Make up your own! ;D ;D ;D

jarhead

flintauqua

"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

Warph

Muslim Brotherhood wants to KILL you & destory our Constitution!!

If you miss this video, (and you're still a believer in Obuma, who has very close ties and relations with [TMB] the muslim brotherhood and has six members of TMB in his adminitration), God help you, FOOL!

Megyn Kelly talks with Steve Emerson on his documentary "The Grand Deception" noon today on Jan. 4th

http://www.investigativeproject.org/1008/steven-emerson-and-the-grand-deception[/font][/size][/b]

Egyptian Magazine: Muslim Brotherhood Infiltrates Obama Administration
by John Rossomando  •  Jan 3, 2013 at 1:10 pm
http://www.investigativeproject.org/3869/egyptian-magazine-muslim-brotherhood-infiltrates

An Egyptian magazine claims that six American Islamist activists who work with the Obama administration are Muslim Brotherhood operatives who enjoy strong influence over U.S. policy.

The Dec. 22 story published in Egypt's Rose El-Youssef magazine (read an IPT translation here) suggests the six turned the White House "from a position hostile to Islamic groups and organizations in the world to the largest and most important supporter of the Muslim Brotherhood."

The story is largely unsourced, but its publication is considered significant in raising the issue to Egyptian readers.

The six named people include: Arif Alikhan, assistant secretary of Homeland Security for policy development; Mohammed Elibiary, a member of the Homeland Security Advisory Council; Rashad Hussain, the U.S. special envoy to the Organization of the Islamic Conference; Salam al-Marayati, co-founder of the Muslim Public Affairs Council (MPAC); Imam Mohamed Magid, president of the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA); and Eboo Patel, a member of President Obama's Advisory Council on Faith-Based Neighborhood Partnerships.

Alikhan is a founder of the World Islamic Organization, which the magazine identifies as a Brotherhood "subsidiary." It suggests that Alikhan was responsible for the "file of Islamic states" in the White House and that he provides the direct link between the Obama administration and the Arab Spring revolutions of 2011.

Elibiary, who has endorsed the ideas of radical Muslim Brotherhood luminary Sayyid Qutb, may have leaked secret materials contained in Department of Homeland Security databases, according to the magazine. He, however, denies having any connection with the Brotherhood.

Elibiary also played a role in defining the Obama administration's counterterrorism strategy, and the magazine asserts that Elibiary wrote the speech Obama gave when he told former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak to leave power but offers no source or evidence for the claim.

According to Rose El-Youssef, Rashad Hussain maintained close ties with people and groups that it says comprise the Muslim Brotherhood network in America. This includes his participation in the June 2002 annual conference of the American Muslim Council, formerly headed by convicted terrorist financier Abdurahman Alamoudi.

He also participated in the organizing committee of the Critical Islamic Reflection along with important figures of the American Muslim Brotherhood such as Jamal Barzinji, Hisham al-Talib and Yaqub Mirza.

Regarding al-Marayati, who has been among the most influential Muslim American leaders in recent years, the magazine draws connections between MPAC in the international Muslim Brotherhood infrastructure.

Magid heads ISNA, which was founded by Brotherhood members, was appointed by Obama in 2011 as an adviser to the Department of Homeland Security. The magazine says that has also given speeches and conferences on American Middle East policy at the State Department and offered advice to the FBI.

Rose El-Youssef says Patel maintains a close relationship with Hani Ramadan, the grandson of Brotherhood founder Hasan al-Banna, and is a member of the Muslim Students Association, which it identifies as "a large Brotherhood organization."

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk