This and That...

Started by Warph, September 04, 2012, 01:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

More Fun With Common Core: A Lesson In "Rounding"

(Just shaking my head at this one...)

Via Liberty Unyielding:

A sample math problem posted by a frustrated mother at MomDot.com will have you wondering if developers of Common Core materials can do simple arithmetic. The mother, Trisha Haas, laments that mastering "Common Core math" is a "massive struggle" for her third-grade daughter, Charlotte.
If the problem, which is reproduced below, is any indication, Charlotte is not the one with the difficulties.

Notice that the writer who created this problem seems totally unfamiliar the rules of "rounding." As you almost certainly remember from your own elementary school days, to round 354 to the nearest hundred, you look at the digit in the tens column. If it is 5 or greater (as it is here), you round up (in this case to 400). But the writer seems to think you should round down, to 300.

The second number, 291, is an even more glaring example. As Haas quips:
I can tell you that if I estimated or rounded off my bills from $291 to $200, I would get a notice of an unpaid bill. I am not sure my mortgage or car payment would agree with that.

Just as puzzling is the conclusion arrived at. If the estimated sum is 500, as the writer wrongly suggests, then how is 645 a reasonable answer?

As a wise man suggested to me, this is a case of education getting in the way of learning. (AMEN!)

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

Bill O'Reilly picked Speaker John Boehner for his Pinhead of the Week last Friday for obvious reasons.

Boehner continues to push Republicans to pass immigration reform knowing it would alienate his base in an election year.

"Now, he's a pinhead because I believe John Boehner is secretly a Democrat. I think he's a *quisling. Because he never says what you need to say... Here's our immigration plan. This is what we'd like to do... You're just handling a gift to the Democrats."

*quisling - 1940, from Vidkun Quisling (1887-1945), Norwegian fascist politician who headed the puppet government during the Ger. occupation of Norway in World War II; shot for treason after Ger. defeat. First used in London "Times" of April 15, 1940, in a Swed. context.
--Warph

-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

I was able to hack into Barack Obama's personal facebook account and get a copy of his "look back" video... you'll be shocked at what I found!  Or not... whatever.

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Canada Installs First Crack Pipe Vending Machines

(Hurry, hurry... someone tell Toronto Mayor Rob Ford)

Canada's first crack pipe vending machines were installed in Vancouver's Downtown eastside.

CTV News reported:
http://bc.ctvnews.ca/canada-s-first-crack-pipe-vending-machines-come-to-vancouver-1.1676803

A non-profit organization has installed the country's first-ever crack pipe vending machines in Vancouver in a new bid to halt the spread of disease in the city's Downtown Eastside.

The Portland Hotel Society has been operating two of the machines – which dispense Pyrex crack pipes in exchange for just $0.25 – in the Washington Market and the PHS's Drug Users Resource Centre for the last six months.

"For us, this was about increasing access to safer inahalation supplies in the Downtown Eastside," said Kailin See, director of the DURC.

Though many programs provide pipes for drug users in the neighbourhood, it's usually on a one pipe per person per day basis, according to See. Vending machines allow addicts to purchase as many as they need, with each $0.25 per pipe barely covering production costs.

"They don't run the risk of then sharing pipes, or pipes that are chipped or broken," See said. "Everything from flu, colds, cold sores, HIV: If you cut your lip on a pipe that someone else has been using, there are risks there."

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Sandra Fluke was so impressed with my hacked "Obama Look Back" video, she asked us to publish HER 'look back video' too!  Kinda....

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

(Bob Costas' Pinkeye Spreads To His Other Eye
Soon we will be able to call him pinko legitimately.  Gross, Bobby!  Washing your hands in radioactive water is not a good thing.  I wonder if he glows when the lights are out.  Welcome to Russia,comrade!)

Jay Caruso @JayCaruso Follow
Things are getting serious with Costas and his pink eye.  9:30 PM - 10 Feb 2014
3 Retweets 1 favorite Reply

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Flashback: What NYC Looked Like (And Will Soon Look Like) Under Bill De Blasio

Warriors.... come to out plaaaaaaaay.... Warriors.... :police:

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Pakistani Taliban Say They Have 500 Female Suicide Bombers
Ready To Attack... Bill Clinton?  Maybe!

Via Bloomberg News:

The Pakistani Taliban has as many as 500 female suicide bombers ready to act, a representative of the group involved in peace negotiations said, underscoring the risk of further violence if talks fail.

The Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan — known as the Pakistani Taliban, or TTP — sees no urgency to reach an agreement with Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's government, Maulana Abdul Aziz, one of three negotiators representing the TTP, said in a Feb. 7 interview at his Islamabad seminary. The two sides started talks last week.

"You should know that at the moment they have at least 400 to 500 female suicide bombers in Waziristan and other tribal areas," said Aziz, former head cleric of Islamabad's Lal Masjid, or Red Mosque, referring to the TTP. "The government should realize the situation and their demands."

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Andrea Mitchell: Hillary Clinton Used Job At State Department To Woo Big Donors For Presidential Campaign

Via NRO:

. . . Hillary had remained close to big donors during her time as Secretary of State, Mitchell said. "You would see, at State Department events, a lot of the big money people," Mitchell explained, speaking as someone who obviously attended those events. "They have always been part of her circle."

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Bacon-Loving Burger Bully Fires A Bullet Through McDonald's Drive Thru Window After Employee Got Her Order Wrong

(Hmmmm.... Did Wendy's run out the Baconator?)

Via GADaily

A Michigan woman was arrested Monday after authorities say she fired a live round through a McDonald's drive-thru window after an employee forgot to put bacon on her sandwich early Monday morning.

According to authorities, 29-year-old Shaneka Monique Torres wasn't too hard to track down after the alleged shooting; just minutes earlier, she'd given her phone number to the manager of the restaurant -with whom she reportedly was flirting prior to pulling out her gun – with the hopes that he would call her later.

The manager never called – but the cops did, and now Torres is charged with two counts of felony weapons possession.

Hungry: Authorities say Shaneka Torres fired a bullet thru a McDonald's drive-thru window when the restaurant got her order wrong

Authorities say that Torres and another, unidentified woman went to the same McDonald's restaurant on Sunday night and she claimed that her ordered was wrong.

To rectify the situation, the manager of the restaurant told the women they would dine for free the next time the visited the fast-food establishment, located near 28th Street and Madison Avenue SE in Grand Rapids.

Several hours later, about 3 a.m., the two women drove back through the same McDonald's drive-thru and placed the same order.

Prior to picking up the food, Torres was 'flirting' with the manager of the restaurant at the first of two drive-thru windows. She even gave him her phone number with the hopes that he would call her, WoodTV.com reports.
--Warph

-- Warph

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk