This and That...

Started by Warph, September 04, 2012, 01:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

What the hell is Biden doing?

Twitter Frowns On Joe Biden's Laugh

Vice President Joe Biden and Rep. Paul Ryan were the two candidates on stage at Thursday's vice presidential debate, but a third character emerged: Joe Biden's laugh, which didn't escape the notice of tweeting politicos.  (And led, of course, to at least three satirical Twitter accounts: Laughing Joe Biden, Biden Smirk, and yet another Laughing Joe Biden.)

Weekly Standard's Mark Hemingway: "Joe Biden's laughing through talking about Iran sanctions?"

TIME's Michael Scherer: "Not sure debate cameras have been light tested for Biden's teeth. Best to watch with sunglasses."

Washington Examiner's Philip Klein: "Biden's strategy seems to be to laugh at Ryan constantly. Will it work to infantalize Ryan, or backfire like Gore sighing?"

NBC's David Gregory: "Biden's smile is out of control."

BuzzFeed's Ben Smith: "So did Biden practice laughing at Ryan???"

ABC's Rick Klein: "Biden on verge of breaking down in laughter when Ryan talks."

Former Eric Cantor staffer Brad Dayspring: "Joe Biden needs to realize this isn't a Senate Foreign Relations Hearing. His laughter and condescending attitude is a disaster."

Radio host Neal Boortz: "Looking like Biden's gameplan is to laugh his way through this."

Townhall.com's Guy Benson: "Will Biden laugh his ass off at the terrible economy, too?"

MSNBC's S.E. Cupp: "Biden needs to laugh a little less through the Libya, Middle East, nuclear Iran segment."

Washington Post's Chris Cillizza: "Ok. I have decided. I find the Biden smile slightly unsettling."

PBS' Jeff Greenfield: "Biden has always had a smile that at times is really, really inappropriate."

Washington Examiner's Paul Bedard: "Can't tell yet if Biden's smirking, laughs, eye-rolling, head shaking, works for him or not against the oh-so-young looking eager Ryan."

Former White House press secretary Ari Fleischer: "Biden is at risk of having his laugh come across like Gore's sighs. He should knock it off."

The New York Times' Ashley Parker: "Biden's grin is Chesire Cat caliber."

Republican strategist Ron Bonjean: "Biden laughing does not come off with the intended effect. It is actually hurting him. Looks very condescending."

Movie critic Roger Ebert: "Joe! Stop smiling and laughing!"

Washington Times' Emily Miller: "Biden laughing when he disagrees with Ryan is so annoying. Like a child in time out."

Washington Post's Jennifer Rubin: "Biden's laughing is losing the debate- obnoxious"

Comedy Central's Indecision: "If this keeps up much longer, Joe Biden's going to sprain his laugh muscles."  

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

"Movie Poster of the Week"

--Warph

-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

EU awarded Nobel Peace Prize

"The European Union has won the Nobel Peace Prize, despite a year marked by riots on streets of many capitals and the looming prospect of an acrimonious break up amid an economic crisis caused by the euro."
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/9603745/EU-awarded-Nobel-Peace-Prize.html

So, the EU wins Nobel Peace Prize for not being Libya... and 721 Million People Share $1.2 Million.  This will rank right up there with the TIME "Man of the Year Who Is You" cover story.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/13/world/nobel-peace-prize.html

Both Lithuania and Bulgaria were singled out for their role in just shutting the hell up.  Italy wanted to know why it didn't win Best Cinematography.

If this whole business sounds wacky to you, German CEO Angela Merkel insists that the euro is more than a currency.

"It's people."  
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/9603745/EU-awarded-Nobel-Peace-Prize.html

Yes. It's people... which is the second time I've used that punch line this week.

Let's hope the EU doesn't degenerate into a confederation of civil-warring states.  Just like many hope Peace Prize laureate Barack Insane-Hussein Obuma will one day stop killing bad guys from the sky.  Not me, of course...being a flyboy and all that... I think the sky is the best place to kill terrorist from.  Much better than from, say... the trenches.

Runner-Ups:

1. The letter P, because it's the first letter in "Peace."

2. Malta, because it never wins anything.

3. Sammy Wong, high school ninja, for bringing peace to P.S. 146.

4. Chuck E. Cheese, because no one has ever died from eating their black-olive vegetarian pizza.

5. The Nobel Committee, for dodging all those bullets.

6. The Lord's Resistance Army, for making the rest of the world look good.

7. The inventor of the giant foam hand.

8. Eddie Money, for appearing in those GEICO commercials and offering hope to zombies around the globe.

9. Twitter, for deciding against 141 characters.

10. Flannelette, because no terrorist would be caught dead wearing it.

11. Joe Biden's smirk.

....Warph

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Biden interrupted Ryan 82 times during that debate last night.  And the thing was, he had diddly crap to say when he did it.

He had one job to do.  Well, two jobs.  The first job was to fire up all the clowns on MSNBC and give lefties... who like the idea of shoutin' down people who disagree with them and generally actin' like Veruca Salt from the Willy Wonka movie... a little somethin'. That's what a good lefty sounds like.  Because they're "passionate," and so on.

Since Obama didn't sound like a lefty, they were pullin' their hair out.  They want their politicians to come off like union goons and race hustlers, and so Biden had to do what he did last night to buck up the hooples.

The other job was to stop Ryan from looking like he knew what he was talkin' about.  And since Joe Biden ain't exactly in command of facts, the only way to do that was for him to come in and step on his toes.  And he did.  Seven dozen times, give or take a few.

Like MacAoidh said last night, it might well have worked if not for the fact he came off as a dip while doin' it.  Muggin' for the camera like some drunk fan at a Steelers game.

And then when he started talkin', we got this...

Which is better, I guess, than how he acted while Ryan was tryin' to talk....

UPDATE: And one more...

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Some businesses — including McDonald's and the owner of Red Lobster — consider how best to avoid ObamaCare's employer mandate, which is set to take effect in 2014.

A second Obama term would guarantee the president's health care law will be fully implemented, and businesses are warning that may affect their employees.

Darden Restaurants, which owns Red Lobster, Olive Garden, LongHorn Steakhouse and more, is the latest in its industry to look for a way to avoid ObamaCare. Darden owns and operates more than 2,000 restaurants, and employs 180,000 people. So the restaurant group is conducting a "test" at a select number of its restaurants in four markets.

White Castle, McDonald's and Denny's are other affordable brands in the industry that have said they were looking for a way to avoid the new employer mandate due to take effect in 2014.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10/12/as-some-businesses-look-for-ways-around-obamacare-others-attack-law-directly/#ixzz29BGkyRLt

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Al Qaeda leader Zawahiri calls for more Mohammad film protests
Oct. 13, 2012
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/13/us-qaeda-zawahiri-film-idUSBRE89C06520121013

"Al Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri said a film made in the United States mocking the Prophet Mohammad showed Washington was waging a "crusader Zionist war" against Muslims and he called for more protests outside American embassies.

Like in other messages released by al Qaeda's Yemeni and North African branches last month, Zawahiri praised last month's assault on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi that killed four Americans but stopped short of claiming responsibility.

In the recording, posted on Islamist websites on Friday, Oct. 12th, he called on 'free and distinguished zealots for Islam' who attacked the consulate and protested outside other American embassies to 'continue their opposition to American crusader Zionist aggression against Islam and Muslims.'

The recording appeared on the Mujahedin al-Ansar website which carries statements from al Qaeda leaders."

So Ayman al-Zawahiri, a "leader" of al-Qaeda with the key to the executive nuthouse to prove it, has recorded a message intended to enflame the Muslim world.  Which is about as difficult to do as it is to find big hair at the Grand Ole Opry.

Now here's the bit that bothers me: "free and distingushied zealots for Islam."  Free as in no longer strapped to a gurney?  Or free as in lots of spare time given no marketable skills?  And who's to decide what constitutes "distinguished?"  Are we talking Twitter followers?  "Likes" on Facebook?  Technorati rating?

"Lindsay Lohan!  I love you!  Call me!  I'm on Linked In!!"

Perhaps there are zealots who are big deals in some countries and not in others.  What if I'm a big shot in Yemen but in Malaysia, just try and get a table at a halfway decent restaurant ... ?

And how zealous do you have to be?  Can I just be really, really annoyed?  Do I have to throw a rock?  Do I have to strap C4 to my torso and wipe out some people on a bus?

You see what I mean with these ads?  You never know what it is they're really looking for until you go to the interview, waste half a day, and then, "Oh, sorry, but you have no hostage-taking experience."

But you couldn't spell that out in the original message?  I had to get a babysitter... or I had to borrow my brother-in-law's car...

(sigh).... People.
--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Lara Logan on Al-Qaeda in Afghanistan: "I Knew We Were Being Lied To" (Video)
Posted by Jim Hoft on Saturday, October 13, 2012, 8:19 AM

This was a powerful speech by a committed war correspondent. Despite the misinformation from the Obama administration and Democrat-media complex, Logan is determined to get the truth out about Al-Qaeda in Afghanistan.

Lara Logan's powerful speech:

Lara Logan 2012 BGA Annual Luncheon Keynote Speech

"Our way of life is under attack and if you think that's government propaganda, if you think that's nonsense, if you think that's warmongering, you're not listening to what the people who are fighting you say about this fight."

"In your arrogance, you think you write the script, but you don't. There's two sides and we don't dictate the terms. In fact after eleven years of war in Afghanistan, we're rushing for the exits as fast as we can, not only do we not dictate the terms, but we have less power to dictate anything on the world stage."

"Ambassador Ryan Crocker said, 'We've killed all the slow and stupid ones. The ones that are left are more committed and they didn't become any kinder or gentler in the last eleven years.'

"'Another thing he said. We think we've won the campaign and they haven't even begun to fight.'"

"If you fail to identify the ideological component to this fight, if you fail to identify what your enemy is really fighting for, if you lie about who they really are, I don't see how you can possibly have the right strategy."

"There's a narrative coming out of Washington, much of it driven by Pakistani lobbying money and by Taliban apologists. One of my favorite things to read about is how the Taliban today is so unlike the Taliban of 2001, they're a more moderate, gentler kinder Taliban who just can't wait to see women in the workplace occupying an equal role in society and great economic prosperity for all of Afghanistan and they don't really want to take us back 3,000 years into that terrible place I witnessed."

"And when I look at what's happening in Libya, this big song and dance, whether this was a terrorist attack or a protest, and you just want to scream for god's sake, are you kidding me, the last time we were attacked like this was the USS Cole which was a prelude to the 1998 embassy bombings which was a prelude to 9/11. And you're sending FBI to investigate. I hope you're sending in your best clandestine warriors who will go in to exact revenge and let the world know that the United States will not be attacked on its own soil, that its ambassadors will not be murdered and that the United States will not do nothing about it."

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Campaign Poster of the Day

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Looking back at the history of diplomatic outreach to Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union can be like looking at a Marx Brothers movie. It's a long comedy of errors, but there's no Groucho Marx waggling his eyebrows and toting a cigar to show us that the participants are in on the joke.

Like those long unfunny stretches involving Chamberlain promising peace in our time and FDR posing with Uncle Joe Stalin, our modern diplomatic outreach to Islamists is a comedy of horrible unfunny errors that lead to blood on the walls and not much else.

The February 17 Martyrs Brigade assigned to protect the Benghazi consulate, in lieu of the more provocative US Marines... who were pulled out in August by the Dept. of State... was actually run by the Muslim Brotherhood. 

Now Diana West notes in her column that Ansar Al-Sharia, the Islamist militia that reportedly led the attack on the Benghazi consulate was a spinoff of Feb 17. http://townhall.com/columnists/dianawest/2012/10/12/administration_welcomed_wolves_into_the_sheepfold

Imagine, pre-9/11/12, that you were responsible for arranging the defense of the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya.  Would you have considered American interests and personnel best protected by bringing in a local security outfit called the February 17 Martyrs Brigade?...

Meanwhile, Ansar al Sharia ("Supporters of Islamic Law"), the al-Qaida-linked militia believed to have led the consulate assault in September, is a spinoff of the February 17 Martyrs Brigade.

The Islamist militia that Obama turned to in order to provide security to the Benghazi consulate was affiliated with the Islamist militia that would attack the consulate.

The thin red line between the moderate Islamists trying to enforce Islamic law with AK-47s and the Islamic extremists trying to enforce Islamic law with AK-47s proved to be both very thin and very red.
--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

While Biden Laughed... GAS hit $6.45 a gal. ...
Orlando, Florida:

While Biden smirked the new leadership of Egypt has called for a war against the Jews...
"Egypt's foremost Muslim Brotherhood official called on the Arab world Thursday to replace negotiations with Israel with "holy Jihad," claiming that if Jews are allowed to pray on the Temple Mount they will destroy the Al-Aqsa Mosque and supplant it with the third temple."
http://elderofziyon.blogspot.com/2012/10/muslim-brotherhood-leader-calls-for.html

While Biden chuckled an American woman was kidnapped in Afghanistan...
October 12, 2012 - Report: Canadian Man & American Woman Kidnapped in Afghanistan
Via Montreal Gazette

A Canadian man and an American woman, both civilians, have reportedly been abducted by gunmen in Afghanistan.

Citing anonymous sources, a media report from that country indicated the pair was kidnapped while travelling from eastern Ghazni province to the [note...the sentence wasn't completed..ed]

Afghan government officials have not yet commented on the incident, said the report by Khaama Press

Pak Tribune is reporting:[i] A resident of the area said on condition of anonymity that the kidnap victims were an American woman and a Canadian man. They were seized by the Taliban between Shashgaw and Salar areas of Syedabad district on Wednesday.  A Taliban commander in Syedabad, meanwhile, confirmed the abduction of the foreigners by the fighters. However, he refused to give details.[/i]

Only the Canadian media seem to be covering this. Will update when more info becomes available[/i]http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/213876.php

And who said this timeless phrase?:
  "For too long in this society we have celebrated unrestrained individualism over the common community."

Why it was none other than Joe Biden.

--Warph

-- Warph

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk