Ebay

Started by Janet Harrington, December 11, 2006, 11:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

Okay.  Here you go...call or write to Pauline Miller, # 620-374-2333, mailing address is...Mrs. Pauline Miller, PO Box 333, Howard, Kansas 67349.

Tell her that you would like to purchase an Elk County history book.  I'm sure she will get you set up.  You will probably have to pay postage to get it sent to you.  If you want to, tell her I said to call or write her.  Pauline used to do most of the abstract work here in Elk County and if you tell her who your dad was, I am positive that she will remember that name.

DanCookson

I phoned the company that has the postcard to get additional information!!!

The thing that intrigued me was the listing said that it was indeed a postcard and had writing on the back of it.  I inquired as to the writing and who it was too and from.

Seems the card was sent from a Sarah Britch or Sarah Birch(they said it was hard to read)

It was addressed to a Mimi Maxwell in Osawatamie KS.

(Just in case you wondered)

genealogynut

Thanks for checking on that, Snakehater.  I ran variations of the name through the 1910 Elk County census records, and came up with Worth G. Burtch, age 63, born in Indiana, occupation-carpenter (home builder), wife's  name was Sarah, age 52.  They had a son living with them, Norman E.? (it was hard to read), age 34, born in KS.  They were living in Howard twp.

Ms Bear

Thankyou Janet,
I will call her on my first early day, somedays I get home by four and I can call then.

I am going to try to make a trip to Elk County this summer, look forward to meeting all of you.

Pat

W. Gray

In addition Ebay has,

An Elk County Sherrif's patch at $4.00 plus 1.50 shipping. [from Beanie Deals at Swampside]

A postcard of the new Elk County courthouse for $5.99

A 1948 Easter greeting from Howard Kansas, $3.50. Difficult to say who it is from.

A 1908 horse and buggy trotting race postcard, $5.00. I dont recognize the venue but it would have to be the fairgrounds. The stands must have looked a lot better at one time.

A lot of 5 Howard, Kansas greetings color postcards that seem to be from the lake, $3.50.

A lot of 3 Moline, Kansas trade tokens from Baker and Son Packet Store, $19.95. Denominations are 10 cents, 5 cents and 25 cents. These might have been for celebration days, etc. Or they might have been given in change or credit.

What is described as a 1941 Elk Falls high school yearbook named the Wildcat, $5.95.

An imposing 1905 color poscard picture of the Longton, Ks highschool, 5.95. The brick building appears to be four stories tall.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Janet Harrington

About the Longton High School...I believe that they are still using that same building.  It has been updated, but it looks like the same one.

W. Gray

Ebay now has a Howard, Kansas commemorative coin for sale. It is a 100th anniversary 1870-1970 coin. The courthouse though looks like the courthouse that burned.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

The donut shop is also up for sale on Ebay. The man purchased it last August. Last I heard he was going to build an extension to the old phone building next door for extra seating or whatever and also envisioned a drive up.

The wife and I formerly left the house at 5:20 a.m. so we could be at work by 6:00 a.m. It was not fun and I have a difficult time envisioning me at work by 3 or 4:00 a.m.

hhjacobs

I understood that Cooksons bought the donut shop. I did'n't know it was up for sale again.

Mom70x7

It is up for sale again - the eBay auction number is 300071745348 - or just click on this link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300071745348

It's already got a couple of bids.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk