Life and Letters of Fathers Ponziglione, Schoenmakers . . . at Osage mission

Started by flintauqua, March 04, 2013, 11:29:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flintauqua

I posted this yesterday in the Compilation thread, but I'll make a topic out of it so it's easier to find.

Open Library online copy of Life and Letters of Fathers Ponziglione, Schoenmakers, and other early Jesuits at Osage mission

Didn't realize the link was to a specific page.  Try this one to start from the title page: 

http://www.archive.org/stream/ponziglionescho00gravrich#page/n5/mode/2up

I have only scanned through about a fourth of this 332 page book written in 1916, but already have come across many references to places and events that occurred in or near Howard County.

Father Ponziglione was probably familiar with each and every early trail and road across the Osage Trust Lands and the Osage Diminshed Reserve.  I only wish there was a map of the area made or used by Father Ponziglione included in this book.
"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

frawin

Great Post Charlie. The Osage Library in Pawhuska would probably have a Map of the area. I don't get over there as often as I used to. I had a house over there but I sold it recently.
Frank Winn

flintauqua

I wasn't clear in my first post.  Being the cartographical nerd freak that I am, I have many maps of the area, and have posted the ones that are available online in this section of the Forum.

I wish the author/editor of the book had been able to include a map from the writings of Father Ponziglione, either one drawn by him, or used by him in his travels.  I think he probably knew more routes of travel through what is now Elk And Chautauqua counties, prior to and just after the formation of Howard County in 1870 1867 (and its organization in 1870) than anyone.  

The author does note that the Father did get a little lost from time to time, though, usually during a storm.

Thanks to the esteemed Mr. Gray for pointing out my historical failing, resulting in the editing above.  I do want everything I post to be as accurate as possible.  I do make mistakes and I appreciate when those are pointed out so they can be corrected.

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

W. Gray

Howard County was formed in 1867, organized in 1870. Just thought I would throw that in, chuckle.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

flintauqua

Quote from: W. Gray on March 04, 2013, 03:26:06 PM
Howard County was formed in 1867, organized in 1870. Just thought I would throw that in, chuckle.

Thanks Waldo for keeping this cartographically obsessed individual correct on his history!   ;) :angel:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk