Rules? We don't need no stinkin' rules.......

Started by Patriot, August 15, 2012, 09:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patriot

Here's the general scenario at the end of a recent commission meeting (paraphrased):

Chairperson:  Meeting is adjourned.

Board member A: I'll make a motion we adjourn.

Chairperson:  (To Legal counsel) Why do we need a motion?  We don't need a motion do we?

Legal counsel:  Yes, you should have a motion and vote to adjourn.

Chairperson: (Mumbling)  Well we've always done it without a motion.

Board member B:  I'll second the motion to adjourn.

Chairperson:  All in favor...........

Yes, there are rules.  Several years of doing it improperly doesn't make it right, and ignorance of the rule is no excuse.  Even worse, we shouldn't need an attorney to read basic Robert's Rules of Order.  A trip to Google is all it takes.

While it may seem a small thing on the surface, consider this... It's not about left or right, it's about right or wrong.  If our leadership chooses to ignore & remain ignorant of the small things, how can they be trusted with the big things?  Think Obama.  Knowledge of the rules & following those rules, however small, are no small matters.

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Ross

I guess it is one of them different things.

Remember when Elk Konnected Kommissioner Hendricks refered to some of the tax money in the rcereation fund as something different.

Well could this be another different thing?

Bullwinkle

Patriot

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 15, 2012, 12:04:19 PM
      This is a joke, right ? ???

Nope.  Two independent witnesses to the facts.  Again, not a crisis in and of itself, but at what point do a growing number of small details become indicative of a bigger issue? 

For example, add these into the equation...

+ expiring high dollar phone contracts expiring within 30 to 60 days not having been addressed earlier costing taxpayers thousands in post contract monthly charges

+ waiting to address expiring 5 year elevator maintenance contracts until 30 to 60 days prior to expiration

+ repeated violations of KOMA requirements concerning executive sessions, both in form & session substance/content

+ no properly prepared & approved minutes for the last 5 meetings

+ meeting in special capacities by a board subject to KOMA not being called to order or properly adjourned

+ attempts by members of a KOMA subject body to communicate with other members by phone when that discussion would clearly constitute a meeting and would be in clear violation public meetings law

+ direct micro-management of daily operations of employees by a single member without involvement of the remaining board members, even to result in the delay of ongoing work

+ suggestion that employees perform official work on their own time & without pay

+ the official acceptance of citizen applications for a property tax rebate program when no such program has been subject to required public hearings or official adoption & approval

+ the backdating of the eligibility date a proposed, but unapproved, tax rebate program to include someone who doesn't even know they are being included.

+ paying a private contractor $25,000 of a $60,000+ contract BEFORE any contract has been approved & signed.

+  making such payment without performance guarantees/bonds recommended by legal counsel

+ no comment or discussion when reminded by one member that having the highest mill levy in Kansas will kill growth & development

+ more like these

= what???

When that circuit breaker keeps popping it could well indicate a problem deeper in the wiring.  No?

Janet Harrington

All I can do is shake my head. Shake my head and be sad because my county is so ignorant and they don't want to change. :-[ :-[ :-[

redcliffsw

Based upon everything else reported about the Elk County Commission, that's no surprise.

Bullwinkle

This list looks to me like a mix of ignorance and pure laziness. Someone ( or two ) hasn't taken their public office very seriously. >:(

Patriot

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 16, 2012, 09:19:56 AM
       This list looks to me like a mix of ignorance and pure laziness. Someone ( or two ) hasn't taken their public office very seriously. >:(

That, Bullwinkle, is an understatement.  Given a more detailed look & the forward financial outlooks for taxpayers, the morale of our public employees & its effect on customer service, I would lean toward malfeasance of top management (intended or otherwise).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk