Wichita Proceeds To Sell Seized Firearms

Started by admin, January 18, 2005, 06:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Despite concerns from Police Chief Norman Williams and City Manager George Kolb, the Wichita City Council plans to sell weapons confiscated by police to licensed firearm dealers.

Read About It: Wichita Eagle
http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/10623747.htm

Janet Harrington

Well, this former old county sheriff would almost agree with the chief and assistant chief.  The big question is "Are you putting bad weapons back on the streets of Wichita?"  However; if one looks at the guns and what the values are then one could change their mind.  The guns could be gone over and a decision made by gun experts what guns could be sold and what guns should be destroyed.  Selling to licensed dealers would be the only way to go.  State law does prohibit counties and state law enforcement from selling confiscated guns.  I don't quite understand why municipalities have slipped through that law.   ??? ??? ??? ???

admin

Quote from: Janet Harrington on January 18, 2005, 07:46:05 PM
The big question is "Are you putting bad weapons back on the streets of Wichita?"

Being one that for years have identified confiscated guns at police stations before they were sold to law abiding citizens, this effort will make no difference in the streets of Wichita.

Selling the guns through the FFL system with the mandatory background checks, will make sure that the majority of these guns will stay off the streets. It is only a percentage of confiscated guns that will be sold, mostly because licensed dealers are only interested in guns of good condition and of a certain value.

Janet Harrington

Articles like this will help me with my research topic about gun control.  When you run across stuff like this, please share it with me.

DanCookson

Quote from: Janet Harrington on January 18, 2005, 07:46:05 PM
  The big question is "Are you putting bad weapons back on the streets of Wichita?" 

Please define what a "bad" gun is.  Does it need time out.  Good Old Sherriff, I thought it was the people that were bad. 

I hope none of my guns are bad.  Natch will have to come and whip them, along with my goat.

Janet Harrington

mtcookson

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk