New Question

Started by Judy Harder, June 30, 2012, 09:47:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

I have noticed our night sounding critters are not as noisy this year. Tree frogs seem to be missing and crickets aren't making a racket. Has anyone else noticed this?
I had throught with a warmer winter that they along with 'skeeters and no-see-ums we would be a buggy year.
I miss the night music.......could always depend on that to help me go to sleep.

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Teresa

Deer flies are starting to be a nuisance at our lake.. I hate them as much as I hate the no-see-ums..
But our tree frogs and locusts are going crazy at night.. I love the night sounds.. found a CD that is full of midwestern night sounds and I use it all the time at night >>especially in the wintertime.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Judy Harder

I finally heard them. Right now the locusts are a singing up a storm, (I hope this means rain!).
I was worried since I dug and redug my flower garden this spring and was afraid I disturbed them.
I am still not sure where they breed at. I know it takes water for tadpoles. We do get craw-dad holes along the sidewalk and in ditches, so maybe there is enough moisture for this.

Guess, I need to go read up on them. I did finally get rid of the slugs that use to fill up the yard.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Diane Amberg

Judy, are your ''locusts" what we call cicadas that sing in the daytime? I think ours make a different sound, more of a chatter, and yours go zizzer-zizzer.  I just heard our first on Wednesday.
We have night singing katydids that some also call locusts. and tree frogs of course. To me those "locusts" are big ol' tobacco juice spitting grasshoppers. Make great fish bait.
Our cicadas breed up in the trees and lay their eggs in dirt, usually near trees.They live in the ground for several years, depending on the kind, and then hatch at night to creep up the trees and shed into the adults.

Teresa

zizzer-zizzer...................... perfect description... but you have to draw out the ziiiiizzzer a bit more.. :)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Judy Harder

The locusts are right now singing a song and I just love it.
Before I heard this batch I kept seeing Scooter (fox-terrier) eating bark off the maple tree.
and then standing beneath same tree and scraping something out of the ground.
Went out to check and he was finding locusts larve, or freshly out of shells and eating them.
For 17 he can still see better than I do, and has cataracts, also.......so when he was eating the bark,
he was actually finding them under the bark. I knew he had strange eating habits..........of course, today he
has a belly-ache and of course, it is due to what he is eating..........OLD men, just can not eat the way they use to.
THis too shall pass........hopefully outside.....once in a while he doesn't let me know and then it is cleaning up his mess.
Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk