A Serious Accident In City of Grenola (1938)

Started by genealogynut, December 02, 2006, 01:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

Howard Courant
April 28, 1938

Accident Fatal to One; Many Others Received Cuts and Bruises

Margaret Ann Harrington, age 11 months was killed in a car acident which happened in Grenola last Saturday night.  Edith Harp was quite seriously injured, also, Truman Harrington, father of the baby, received quite painful injuries.  There were eleven persons, who were involved in the crash, but the others escaped with minor injuries.

The accident happened about two blocks south of the J. W. Deal corner in the city limits of Grenola, about 11 p.m., on Saturday night, April 16.  The Harrington car was returning from Moline Catholic services.  With Mr. and Mrs. Truman Harrington and two children and Mrs. Etheline Newbold and baby as occupants of this car.  A strip-down car with Jack Knowlton and a companion of Winfield following  the car.  When the Harrington's came to a crossing, another car swung into the path of the Harrington car with four Grenola young people in it.  The driver was Robert Dilli with Edith Harp, Katherine Snair and Dale Barnes as passengers.  Dilli was not able to make the turn soon enough so the three cars crashed into each other.

Margaret Ann Harrington, Mr. and Mrs. Truman Harrington and Miss Harp were taken to the Winfield hospital, but the baby died shortly after midnight.   Miss Harp is out of danger so it is thought by now.  She suffered several injuries on the head with a broken jaw, the loss of several teeth and brain injury. Mr. and Mrs. Harrington have been dismissed from the hospital. ---Grenola Gazette.

Janet Harrington

Lois,

Thank you for finding this story.  This was Jim's sister just older than him.  However; Jim wasn't born yet when Margaret was killed in that car wreck.  Jim always thought, at least I think he did, that the car was hit by a train.  I'm going to send this to Jim's two sisters that have internet.  Thanks again.

genealogynut

Posting news items from the past, obits, and genealogy data has been very educational for me.  I'm learning more about the people that lived in Elk county than what I ever knew before-- and I grew up there!  The more I research, the more I want to know, and the more I dig!  (Kinda reminds me of a dog digging for a juicy bone, :laugh:, the deeper they go, the faster they go)

Ms Bear

Sometimes the more we learn about our families the more we learn about ourselves.  I didn't have the opportunity to grow up around aunts and uncles and my father didn't talk about his family.  Now I am in my 60's and just learning who they were.  I know I missed a lot.

Pat

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk