MILLS, Glenda Irene (Beaumont) - b. May 15, 1943 - d. November 29, 2006

Started by Janet Harrington, December 02, 2006, 02:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

(The Flint Hills Express Dec. 6, 2006 page 4)

Glenda Irene Mills died Wednesday, Nov. 29, 2006 at Wesley Medical Center in Wichita.  She was 63 years of age and a long time resident of Moline.  Glenda was born on May 15, 1943 at Russell to Robert Wesley and Wanda Mae (Shipman) Beaumont.  After Robert's death, her mother remarried and Glenda was raised by her mother and George Westwood.  She grew up in Howard and graudated from howard High School in 1961.  Glenda later completed cosmetology school.

On April 8, 1963, she married Rodger Lynn Mills at Kansas City and they made their home in Moline.  To this union was born a son and a daughter.  Glenda was employed in the banking business for more than twenty years and retired in 2003.  Her hobbies included crafting, crocheting, listening to Celine Dion music and she loved spending time with her grandchildren.

Glenda is survived by her husband, Rodger; her son Rodney Mills and his wife Marlana of Arkansas City; her daughter Lorri Robert and her husband Jay of Augusta; her brother Jim Beaumont of Wichita; her sister Joyce Bills of Climax and her grandchildren, Blake and Ashlynn Mills and Jaiden and Brooke Robert.  She was preceded in death by her parents and her brother, Jack Beaumont.

Funeral services were held on Monday, Dec. 4, 2006 at the Moline Christian Church with Pastor Stan Rumbaugh and Pastor Gary Boles officiating.  The casket bearers were Chris Clyde, Bobby Mills, Greg Mills, Randy Mills, Russell Mills and Mark Mills.  The honorary casket bearers were John Bills and Harold Dean Mills.

A memorial has been established with the Moline Christian Church.  Contributions may be left with the fuenral home.  The funeral arrangements are being made with the Zimmerman Funeral Home of Howard.

(Taken from the Independence Daily Reporter, December 1, 2006, page 2)

HOWARD - Glenda Irene Mills, 63, of Moline, died Wednesday at Wesley Medical center in Wichita.

Services will be at 10 a.m. on Monday at the Moline Christian Church with Pastor Stan Rumbaugh and Pastor Gary Boles.  Burial will be in moline Cemetery.

Friends may call at Zimmerman Funeral Home from 1 p.m. until 9 p.m. Sunday.

Memorials are suggested to the Moline Christian Church and they may be left with the fuenral home.

Mrs. Mills was born on May 15, 1943 to Robert and Wanda (Shipman) Beaumont.  After her father's death, she was reared by her mother and stepfather, George Westwood.  She graduated from Howard High School in 1961, and later completed cosmetology school.

On April 8, 1963, she married Rodger L. Mills in Kansas City, Kan., and they made their home in Moline.  He survives.

Mrs. Mills was employed in the banking business for more than 20 years, retiring in 2003.

Other survivors include a son, Rodney Mills, Arkansas City; a daughter, Lorri Robert, Augusta; a brother, Jim Beaumont, Wichita; a sister, Joyce Bills, Climax; and four grandchidlren.

(When this death notice is in the Flint Hills Express, I will place it on this same board.)

genealogynut

I vaguely remember her.  She lived in that big house on the corner of Washington & ??.  (It was on the corner just north of where Carl & Susan Morgan live now)  Her mother used to run a privately owned nursing home facility there, before Twilight Manor came into existence.

Janet Harrington

Yes, I believe that you are right.  Her sister, Joyce, is a social worker for SRS and we have been friends since I got out of high school.  I stayed with Joyce when she was many months pregnant with her second child and John Bills was doing his two weeks with the National Guard.  I know Glenda because she was one of my citizens when I was sheriff.  She was a very nice lady.

Mom70x7

When did she live in the big house?

Morgans live on the corner of Chestnut and Randolph, so I'm assuming the house you're talking about is on the corner of Chestnut and Washington, across the street from us.

Janet Harrington

Yes, that is the one.  A long time ago the Beaumont girls lived there with their mom and step-dad.  I would say that Joyce probably graduated in the late '60's.  Glenda graduated in 1962 or 63, so Joyce probably graduated in 65 or 66.  Anyway, this was a long time before I came to town.  Another way to describe this house is the way I call it..."The Alley house.  The Black and White House.  The Alice Foust house."  I can't think of anymore. 

Mom70x7

I think of it most often as the Alley house. I think I remember from somewhere that it was originally a Perkins house? Built by them maybe?

Jerry & Sarah Wagner live there now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk