Kelsay
Kosoha
Machol
Nannasaddie
Nantaje
Rowdy

All Apache Indians.

All recipients of the Medal of Honor.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

jarhead

Waldo
And idea how many of those MOH's were awarded in modern times and how many lived to receive it ? Not to diminish anyone's bravery but what it took to get a MOH back in the 1880's was not the same as modern times. I served with a full blood Apache from Mesa, Az. I don't know whether to say he was a very lucky or un-lucky guy. He was WIA 8 times, but finally went home with four Purple Hearts

W. Gray

These were awarded during the Indian Wars.

The military did the purge of 1917 and took away over 900 Medals of Honor from the recipients including from the only female winner, because of a weak criteria.

The female, bless her heart, did some good things including hard work during the Civil War but heroic bravery was not one of them.

She refused to give her Medal back.

Jimmy Carter restored her medal--Jimmy being Jimmy.

All of these Apache men were left untouched during the purge.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

jarhead

Thanks Waldo. I could do some research I suppose and find the answers but I'm just all done in from  making peach jelly---and kicking off 5 gallon of peach wine. :angel: Think I read where the woman that won the MOH then stripped of it, still wore it until the day she died. To even be in the presence of a MOH recipient is humbling to me, knowing what they did and be alive to wear it. I think I've read that in the Civil War if the flag bearer got shot and you dropped your weapon to carry the flag, you got the MOH. Again, I'm so bushed I will leave it up to you Waldo to see if that's true---------plus, I'm going fishing !! :D

W. Gray

Well, I don't know about dropping the flag, etc. but the female Medal of Honor winner was buried with her medal--still in defiance of the committee that did the purging.

I met one MOH recipient when he was in uniform in my life. He was wearing the ribbon on his TWs.

You are going noodlin are you?

Diane Amberg

He's a gonna make some fish juice home brew to go with all that yummy peach jelly. Hey, you have peaches already?  We won't for a long time yet! :-\

jarhead

Quote from Waldo:
You are going noodlin are you?

Shame on you Waldo, for thinking a fine upstanding person such as myself would attempt to take a fish by an illegal method---oh wait---there are two rivers in the state and all Corps of Engineer waters, that are all legal to noodle this year. Just ruined the fun of going  :angel:
How did we go from the MOH to noodl'n anyway ? ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk