Blasphemy in Song . . . . .

Started by redcliffsw, May 28, 2012, 08:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redcliffsw

The "Battle Hymn of the Republic" is religious war propaganda. It is no more a Christian hymn than "White Christmas."
-Laurence M. Vance

http://www.lewrockwell.com/vance/vance84.html

readyaimduck

You know, while I often read your links and posts....however, I really have to respond to this:  Not sure where this is going until I type, and unless I come back in and wipe it all clean...so be it.

I am from a Military Father.  I am from a highly Christian Mother.   Those two never got along..and yet there was peace.

That being said:  I don't believe it is Blasphemy...unless you are associated with an Organized Church, as that implies an organized religious statement..  those congregations of which will never sing a 'war' song in a service, or some that will not recognize any music, at all.

If you went to war, fought, saw your buddy die in your arms, and wrapped up screaming children that were bombed, then that was life as it was happening. 

I also understand it is Blasphemy if your Religion, per se doesn't associated conflict with a Peace with God (Insert another Religion).

Watch the Movie "Friendly Persuaions"....it took this to the test.

I for one, will play "The Battle Hymn Of The Republic" wih fervor and Passion....
It's all about peace and just understanding....

I love my God.
I love His and MY battles that we ALL have to endure!

ready to just hit post!

redcliffsw

It's more than simply being a "war song".

There's American military men and Christian folks who object to the Battle Hymn of the Republic and rightly so.

In the past five years or so, I've been a visitor in a couple of churches that sang the thing.  They ought to have
known better, however it's been promoted over the years just like a lot of indoctrination in this country.

You might want to look further into it.

http://www.plpow.com/Atrocities_BattleHymn.htm

readyaimduck

I read your link.  I find it interesting that no where else can I find that description regarding Mrs. Howe anywhere. (I went to 6 different websites)
In fact she worked for other things that were the exact opposite. 

I guess which side of the battle one is on, as to one's take on the song.
Interpretation of one's lyrics are always subjective to the listener and construed to fit one's cause.  Something that should never be questioned, nor misrepresented.

You don't think she had a 'change of heart???"   Nah, that would ruin the dirt on a person!

read.....y to keep reading and learning.

redcliffsw

Well, I find it interesting too, except I don't think that she worked for anything that was the opposite.
John Brown was terrorist and he's a hero to many in Kansas and the Battle Hymn fits right in with the
terror of John Brown and the north.  It was the north that changed this country and it was the South
which stood for the Constitution.  Which side you like?  If it's the north, then the Battle Hymn is your
theme song.  Otherwise it's trash.

The Fr. Alister C. Anderson has written and spoken about the Battle Hymn of the Republic.  Here's one of
his speeches:
http://www.plpow.com/Speeches_AAnderson.htm

A Baptist preacher from Michigan, whose name I can't recall at the moment, has written about the Battle Hymn.
I'm sure others addressed the matter down thru the years.

Her record is pretty clear.  No, I don't think she ever had a change of heart.

Warph

Horseshit!  The freaking civil war is over.  Lee surrendered... the North won.  Get over it.  As far as the song... from the first verse, it can be ascertained that the Battle Hymn of the Republic is not a secular song.  Recently, it may have fallen out of use... except in churches during Independence Day, Fourth of July, celebrations... probably because of its Christian religious content and it not being PC enough with the liberal left and to some extent, the far-right.  The lyrics provide rich Christian symbolism of the triumph of Jesus over His enemies.  Although Howe's intent in writing the lyrics may have been to imply that the North (the "Lord's army") was executing judgment on the South, similar to Lord executing judgment against sinners, it still remains as a rousing Christian anthem as I'm sure Elvis would agree.  Heard it a couple of times this Memorial Day w-end... once on PBS and again on NBC.
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

jarhead

Thank you Warph,
You said what I wanted to but I aint good with words like you are.

redcliffsw

Jarhead, as good as Warph is with words, he has not outdone the babbling of the Battle Hymn of the Republic.

If we describe and accept the Battle Hymn of the Republic as doctrinal purity, then we might as well elect Obama
or another liberal - then play it again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk