Super Moon - Coming To Elk Co. Saturday May 5, 2012

Started by Warph, May 04, 2012, 09:56:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

On Saturday night, the full moon will be closer to Earth than at any other time this year, an occurrence that's been labeled a supermoon.

Due to the moon's egg-shaped orbit, there are times when our natural satellite is at perigee—its closest to Earth—and at apogee, its farthest.

The term "supermoon" was coined in 1979 to describe a full moon that coincides with perigee—something that happens about once a year, on average.

During this week's perigee, the moon will be 221,801 miles from our planet, and that close approach will happen within minutes of the official full moon phase, which occurs at 11:35 p.m. ET.

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

Did you see the moon tonight ???  (I could have played the putting practice green, it was that bright here in AZ.)  Okay... if you did see it, you can try your hand at this quiz below.

"For most of human history, the moon was largely a mystery. It spawned awe and fear and to this day is the source of myth and legend. But today we know a lot about our favorite natural satellite. Do you?"

Start the quiz: http://www.space.com/15334-moon-master-easy-quiz-lunatics.html

For more Space Quizzes: http://www.space.com/quizzes/

Good Luck... LOL... you're going to need it.
--Warph

-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

larryJ

HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Warph

Quote from: larryJ on May 06, 2012, 09:31:00 AM
80 %

Larryj

Wow... you're good, Larry... I scored only 40%

I guess you and I are the only ones to take the quiz.

Hardly worth putting it on here.
--Warph

-- Warph

sixdogsmom

Me too! 80% I mean! Thanks Warph!  8) And I almost need the glasses on Saturday night to look at the moon. Had it not been so humid it would have been awesome.
Edie

Bonnie M.

Bonnie

oldfart

I grew up in the four corners of New Mexico about 6000 feet  .full moon always looked like you could reach out and touch it.

Warph

Quote from: sixdogsmom on May 07, 2012, 08:02:36 PM
Me too! 80% I mean! Thanks Warph!  8) And I almost need the glasses on Saturday night to look at the moon. Had it not been so humid it would have been awesome.

Very bright here too, Six.... looks like I'm the dummy on the Moon quiz, did better on the shuttle quiz, tho'... 59%
--Warph

-- Warph

Dee Gee

80% on the moon quiz and 64% on the shuttle quiz. I guess I need the learn more.
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

oldfart

I only got 30% on luner test guess didnt learn any thing from Pink Floyds dark side of the Moon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk