IMAX Fighter Pilot

Started by Warph, April 14, 2012, 11:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

This IMAX film is about fighter pilots and fighter planes (F-15's in particular out of good ol' Ellis AFB) and the quality of the video is awesome, so make sure you watch it in full screen, on the 720pHD setting and the sound quality is fantastic ,too!

It is 48 minutes long but once you get into it it will seem like 15 minutes... great film!

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

From my old outfit, 366th TAC "Gunfighters":

Air Force identifies Mountain Home pilot who died in fighter crash

By Kathleen Kreller — kkreller@idahostatesman.com
Posted: 3:55pm on Mar 29, 2012; Modified: 10:37pm on Mar 29, 2012

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/03/29/2055964/air-force-identifies-mountain.html#storylink=cpy

Capt. Francis "Piston" Imlay, 31, an F-15 pilot from Mountain Home Air Force Base was killed Wednesday in a crash near an air base in the Middle East. The child is Imlay's son. Imlay was from Vacaville, Calif. COURTESY OF MOUNTAIN HOME AIR FORCE BASE
Capt. Francis "Dee" Imlay and his wife came to the Southwest Idaho desert community of Mountain Home in October 2010.
They were raising two children, ages 2 and 4, while Imlay excelled at his career.

"He was a dedicated family man and a dedicated father and a joy to be around," said Col. Ron Buckley, commander of the 366th Fighter Wing at Mountain Home Air Force Base.

Imlay, 31, an F-15E Strike Eagle pilot from Mountain Home Air Force Base, crashed Wednesday near an unidentified base in Southwest Asia.

The crash was about 15 miles from a base that the Air Force said it won't identify for security reasons. The region includes operations in countries like Afghanistan and Iraq.

The jet fighter was destroyed, Buckley said. The cause is under investigation. The Air Force isn't releasing details.
This wasn't the first Mountain Home pilot to die in a crash. In 1998, an F-15E crashed while training near the base, killing two crew members aboard, said Trace Giles, a base spokesman.

Imlay, whose call-sign was "Piston," was assigned to the 391st Fighter Squadron "Bold Tigers." He is from Vacaville, Calif., according to a Department of Defense news release.

The base and wider Mountain Home community are reaching out to offer Imlay's family support, Buckley said. The 366th Fighter Wing is setting up a scholarship fund and seeking donations.
The family expressed its gratitude in a statement.

"It is obviously very hard to lose one of our gunfighters, but we rally around each other," Buckley said. "We give up living around our extended family. We rely on each other to fulfill that role."

Imlay is a 1998 graduate of Lakenheath High School in England. He grew up in a military family. He went through an ROTC program at Auburn University in Alabama, graduating in 2004. He took pilot training at Sheppard Air Force Base in Texas and worked as a pilot instructor, Buckley said.

"He was a stellar fighter pilot" with more than 2,500 flight hours, Buckley said.
Imlay's body is en route to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware, Buckley said.
The family plans a memorial service in Mountain Home, Buckley said.
--Warph

-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

The kind of a F-15E Strike Eagle that Capt. Imlay flew.  We have them here at Luke AFB, see them flying overhead every day.

Man... do I love that P-51... what a beautiful plane.
--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

--Warph

-- Warph

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk