Twenty Strange-But-True Facts???

Started by Warph, January 09, 2012, 06:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

999 is the emergency number in "just OK" Britain. ;)    George Washington never wore a wig. What the heck is a giant sult?
    All the bubbles in those Cokes is why polar bears never drown. ;D

W. Gray

911 is used in the US and Canada and some South American countries. Jordan also uses 911.

Mexico uses 080 but dialing 911 redirects to 080.

Dialing 911 in the Philippines also redirects to 117.

Singapore uses 999 but dialing 911 redirects to 999.

The most prevalent emergency number appears to be 112 adopted by all the countries in the European Union and in Russia.

If you need help in North Korea, just dial 119.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Warph

Quote from: Diane Amberg on March 10, 2012, 10:55:15 AM
    999 is the emergency number in "just OK" Britain. ;)    George Washington never wore a wig. What the heck is a giant sult?
    All the bubbles in those Cokes is why polar bears never drown. ;D

Sorry... somehow left off the ANA on Sult.  Sultana:  means Queen; Empress; mistress... it also can mean wife; sister; of a Sultan.
If you are proficient in Urdu like... ah... lets say... Jarhead, Wilma or LarryJ, it would mean کسی سُلطان کی ماں بہن بیوی یا بیٹی ۔ قرمزی مُرغابی
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

Global Facts About SEX

At Any Given Moment:

FACT:
79,000,000 people are engaged in sex - right now!

FACT:
58,000,000 are kissing.

FACT:
37,000,000 are relaxing after having sex.

FACT:
1 elderly person is reading emails.

You hang in there, Sunshine.

--Warph

-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

4 out of 5 men have gotten their arm stuck in a prophylactic vending machine.

LarryJ back in the pokey for wearing a hoodie while "singing in the rain."

Every United States President with a beard has been a secret Libertarian.

Until last year, National Hockey League games that ended in a tie were settled by the Vice President.

Levi-Strauss lost millions when they marketed a line of blue jeans for monkeys.

At 5 feet, 9.2 inches, Diane Emberg of Delaware, N.J. holds the Guinness Record for the most average height.

Prior to the discovery of Penicillin in 1928, laughter really was the best medicine.

The Army Corps of Engineers has spent millions of dollars trying to cross a bridge before they come to it.

At the height of "Star Wars" mania, Jimmy Carter gave an oval office address in a R2D2 costume.

The original plans for the Statue of Liberty called for the statue to fart but France did not want to spend the money.

In order to become licensed, a courtroom sketch artist must demonstrate the ability to make defendants look "shifty".

Teddy Roosevelt was the last president to wear a monocle in the shower.

A strict vegan Jarhead will not indicate nonsense by using the word "baloney".

Until 1955, traffic signals also included a purple light which meant "up to you".

The National Weather Service has three employees who do nothing but watch for clouds that look like animals.

Leonardo da Vinci drew up plans for the first novelty set of chattering teeth.

You are more likely to be charged by a rhino than to be pulled over for not wearing your seatbelt.

The Dalai Lama's birth name is Doug Reynolds, Jr.

Every Tuesday and Thursday at 4 PM, President Obuma has a jews-harp lesson.

A 150-pound person weighs 165 pounds in Canada.

Due to a misprint, some Gideon Bibles list "the Gospel according to Mark" as "the Gospel according to Marv".

Only 3% of American homes are equipped with a telegraph.

Until 1970, the IRS taxed Monopoly winnings.

To date, "Hee Haw" is the only TV show title based on a sound made by a liberal.

In Tempe, Arizona, it is illegal to yell 'Yahtzee' in a crowded theater.

The city of Tupelo, Mississippi has an experimental program with mounted police using llamas.

The Boeing 747 is capable of flying upside-down, except the wings would shear off when trying to roll it over.

People who constantly chew on a toothpick have a greater risk of reoccurring bladder infections.

The only golf course on the very small island nation of Tonga has 15 holes, and there's no penalty if a monkey steals your golf ball.

The recent tsunami in Southeast Asia has apparently affected the sugar cane crop - the yield is unexpectedly way up, which will in turn lower prices for the next several years.

Manatees possess vocal chords which give them the ability to speak almost like humans, but don't speak because they have no ears with which to hear the sound.

The LEGO group, creators of the children's building blocks, actually considered making full size Lego blocks to be used by Habitat for Humanity in building homes for third-world countries.

Replying more than 100 times to the same piece of spam e-mail will overwhelm the sender's system and interfere with their ability to send any more spam.

Paul Marcarelli, an actor from New York City, plays the "can you hear me now guy" for Verizon Wireless. He actually has cell phone service with T-Mobile as Verizon does not have adequate coverage in his home area of Queens.

Composer Marvin Hamlisch spends much of his free time collecting aluminum cans.

Molecularly speaking, water is actually much drier than sand.

40% of people who believe the moon landing was faked also believe the moon is a spaceship.

Febreze, the product that removes odors from fabric, will not work on wide wale corduroy.
--Warph

-- Warph

jarhead

Quote from Warph :
A strict vegan Jarhead will not indicate nonsense by using the word "baloney".

Warph ol buddy, you know I have always treated everything you write as the Gospel---until you wrote this. I'm sitting here hawg'n down on a big ass platter of fresh caught crappie and no veggies in sight.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk