BIRDS

Started by Wilma, November 30, 2006, 01:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flo

I never put mine in trees.  They each have poles, some with one hook, some with two. The wild bird feeders have their own poles also.  Matter of fact, one pole has two hooks and it was welded by my daughter, and you know her.  Her name is Pam.  She made it for me while she was in college.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Jo McDonald

As I posted last year -- I have the feeders that attach to the outside of the window with a large suction cup.  It makes for some very enjoyable hummingbird watching.  I don't have ours up yet - this wind is about to blow us off the hill.  When the wind blows real hard, the feeders tip and loose all the syrup.  So will hopefully get them up this week-end.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Wilma

Hey, smarties:  How high should a wren's house be hung?  I have a bird house and a little wren has been investigating like he is looking for one.  I have found the perfect spot for it but am afraid it is too high.  So, how high?

flo

maybe whoever has Wilma's answer has one for me.  How do I trim the toenails of the orioles?  I bought two new hummingbird feeders, one without the "wasp" protectors.  I done that on purpose so the orioles would have one to eat out of. (they don't like "their" special feeder I bought.  Guess it's the wrong color.  They like red, not orange.  Anyhow, those smart-alecs have learned that they can hook their toes into that wasp protector and snap that sucker out in a matter of a split second then they just eat away.  Think I"ll super-glue it in the next time I fill it.  ::)
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Judy Harder

wilma, the birdhouse doesn't have to be high.
I had some nest in the top of a cream separator once and they hatched out 3 or 4
and I sure did enjoy them.

I had cats and all was fine until the babies started peeping for food..........afraid they got ate.

Have seen pictures of them nesting in fence posts (wood  of course) and even a glove that was left lying around.

Flo...........those are smart birds..........I had an oriole this morning  pretty, pretty. It didn't stay around, but I did get to see it.

I am planting for the hummingbirds and butterflys this year and hopefully I will get a good variety.
Try to take pictures of the Orioles.........that would be pretty special.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Wilma

to answer Flo's question as to how to trim the oriole's toenails------very carefully.

frawin

Mom has a wren building a nest in the top of an old pump.
mlw

Diane Amberg

Our most successful wren houses have been 7-8 ft. off the ground and about 3ft. or so away from the main trunk, but as you all said, they usually aren't very fussy. We put several in different trees and it's funny watching the little male show off the real estate until the female chooses one.

Wilma

Thanks for the info.  I will measure daughter with her arm straight up and if she can't reach the limb I will find another one.

While peering out my living room window, I was just treated to a ruby throat hummingbird feeding on my red honeysuckle, a cottontail eating dandelion stems and a pair of robins that might have been gathering food or nest materials.  There was also a butterfuly flitting about.

sixdogsmom

Judy, if you want to have some fun, and have some yarn scraps; cut them into lengths about 2 feet long and hang them where the orioles will see them. They weave them into their nests, and it's fun watching them 'shop' for the different colors. I have bought more than one garage sale bag of scraps just for that purpose. Cheap and easy fun!
Edie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk