BIRDS

Started by Wilma, November 30, 2006, 01:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

What kind of Hummers do you have?  We only have Ruby throats here, that are very friendly to us, but are very territorial and chase each other off.  I have several feeders spaced out around the yard and they spend as much time flying back and forth to keep other families away as they do feeding.  They are eating so much now, getting ready to leave, that they are starting to look like little sausages with wings.

sixdogsmom

We have mostly ruby throat hummers also Diane. Mostly they are gone for the summer now, it is about time to clean the feeders and put them away for the year. We will see an occasional straggler and sometimes a different species that gets way off course in the migration. They are truly an amazing bird! I would love to see some of the species that are contingent to South America.
Edie

Jo McDonald

When we went to Minnesota for all the years that we did - there were so many species that came to our feeders.  The feeders that we have attach to the window with a suction cup -- and our windows in this RV are the reflective ones, so they can't see inside, and we can stand with our nose against the window pane and they don't even know we are there.  They are the most awesome little things to watch.  We had some "babies" hatch out in the tree next to our RV this year and I could hardly believe how tiny they are when they first leave the next and start to feed.  We fill the feeders twice a day - and there are a lot of them passing through.  We have deer - wild turkey, squirrels, a coyote and of course the buzzards and hawks...so Fred and I have a nature show every day.
It is wonderful !!!
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Diane Amberg

I usually keep my hummer feeders going until late October. We do get stragglers and the occasional Rufus that is 'way off track.

Teresa

Mama.. when did you tell me I should take them down?
I hate to take them down too early , but they stay around too long if you leave them up too don't they?
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Wilma

I just had a house finch at my feeder and he is still wearing his red.  I thought they lost their red during the winter.

flo

no, Wilma, house finches keep their red year round.  House Finches and Gold Finches are sure keeping my feeders emptied.  Wild bird feeders each hold about 5# each, so don't have to fill them but every 3 or 4 days.  As for kicking feed to the ground, if you'll watch there are birds that only eat on the ground so this feeds them also.  They are facinating to watch.  I also have a "double-barrelled" feeder for the squirrels.  Holds two ears of corn. 
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Wilma

I have had my bird bath moved from where I couldn't see it to the climbing roses just outside my bedroom windows.  I am able to see it from the windows and have been surprised at how busy it has been.  Mostly sparrows, but this morning there was a robin taking a bath and this afternoon while I was watching, a bluebird flew in, got his drink and flew away.  I had forgotten how beautiful bluebirds are, especially when the sun is shining on them.  Also, a pair of brown thrush have taken up residence in the roses.  I think the nest is completed, as I haven't seen them flying in with anything for most of the day.  One came to get a drink while I was watching and chased the other birds away.  I would be upset about their chasing the other birds away, but there is plenty of time for everyone.

flo

my birdbath has been a very popular gathering spot these past few weeks.  Course the wild bird feeders are up all winter, but today went down to Mark's and got a couple new hummingbird feeders.  Low and behold, looked out awhile ago and there was a ruby throat at one and an oriole on the other.  I have an oriole feeder, but they ignore it and prefer the hummingbird feeders so I just let them eat from the same table.  Love watching the birds.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

frawin

I had seen in the paper that the hummers were here!  I don't have my feeders out yet.  Don't have a tree large enough to put one, so will have to figure out something else.  I love watching them. 
Myrna

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk