The Battle of Athens

Started by Teresa, April 04, 2012, 08:50:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on April 04, 2012, 09:39:48 PM
Not sure why Tenn. isn't a southern state, but then again Del. isn't a southern state, but it often gets listed as such, nor is it a north eastern state. We all is a mid atlantic state, yes we is.
   Steve, not everything goes into history books correctly, now does it? I thought Red explained that in great detail many times. Chuckle,chuckle.

Uh huh. 

Very little fact went into history books.   At any rate Tennessee is and was a southern state as well as a confederate state.  The confederate flag that everyone gets so pissed about is the tennessee battle flag.  Theres several other versions of the stars n bars but it is the tennessee battle flag that most states flew over their buildings.  Georgias stars n bars was shorter in length, more of a square flag. 
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

srkruzich

I saw somewhere where a rare very very rare confederate flag that was siezed by one of shermans men in savannah was returned to the state of Georgia recently.   OH ok it was fort mcallister.  The flag was captured. Hidden for 148 years and finally has come home.   It is in immaculate shape!

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/23/confederate-flag-back-at-georgia-fort-after-148-years/

redcliffsw

Athens is in McMinn Co and it appears that McMinn County had more men serve for the north than the South.

After the War of Northern Aggression, the Confederate veterans left the area (E. TN) due to the meanness of the yankee victors. 

The book "Valleys of the Shadow" by Confederate Captain Reuben G. Clark mentions the matter too.

Diane Amberg

Let's see...WARPH said Tenn. isn't a southern state, based on what, I'm not sure. Steve, of course says it is. Maybe they should get together and hash it out. ;) I was thinking in terms of geography.
  I've been in Tenn. Can't say either was very obvious. Nice people, good food, interesting things to see in beautiful surroundings. Didn't see any "bar" to shoot with an old flintlock though.

Warph

Quote from: Diane Amberg on April 05, 2012, 08:38:05 AM
Let's see...WARPH said Tenn. isn't a southern state, based on what, I'm not sure.

As strange as it sounds, TN.; NC and the rest were not considered southern states in the beginning by Mason & Dixon.  One of their first drafts (according to the T. Pynchon book, Mason-Dixon) only included six states: GA, SC, FL, AL, MS, LA... but that didn't last long, did it.  Delaware was considered at first below the line but, rumor was that it was too small to worry about.  Only seven or eight people lived there at the time (all gun runners for the South).  Besides, they were planning to stick it onto NJ and do away with it altogether.  NJ said no way, Jose.  Give it to the mexicans... and they did.  Anyway... M&D decided to draw the line keeping Delaware in the North (probably for fear of the gun runners coming after them).

BTW... interesting site:  http://www.history-map.com/confederate-maps-index-001.htm
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

--Warph

-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Diane Amberg

Sorry Warph.ya got it all wrong. We were once the lower three counties of PA. Can't be part of NJ, there's a river in the way. Del. broke off from Pa. and we still celebrate separation day every year. As far as the Mason Dixon line, it's just up the road from me and we are not south of it, we are east of it. Sorry.

srkruzich

Quote from: Warph on April 05, 2012, 01:28:06 PM

I lived 10 miles from there, its still there.  Its a old bank.  Made a lot of its money off of the Gold mined about 15 miles north of there. 

Warph

Quote from: Diane Amberg on April 05, 2012, 06:04:39 PM
Sorry Warph.ya got it all wrong. We were once the lower three counties of PA. Can't be part of NJ, there's a river in the way. Del. broke off from Pa. and we still celebrate separation day every year. As far as the Mason Dixon line, it's just up the road from me and we are not south of it, we are east of it. Sorry.

So what you are saying here is that your state was not considered to be in the civil war since you were EAST, instead of North or South.  Am I right on this or am I right?!?

no, no, no... now lets tell everyone the truth here about Delaware.  You know how it really was.... leets be truthful, hear.  Yes, PA didn't want those counties because of the Biden southern gun runners gang and NJ didn't have the funds at the time to build the bridge across the river and they were not to hot about it anyway even if they did have the funds.  NJ wasn't crazy about letting the Biden family gun runners be part of the state.  So the two states (PA & NJ) decided to name this small atroll after G.Washington's black (now called African-American, tho' Dell was from Hoboken by way of Ethiopia) aide Dell.  You can thank George Dubya the 1st for the name of your state.  (It hit Washington like a ton of bricks when he realized that Dell was aware of the bad currents in the river for the famous upcoming crossing).  So you see Diane... the true name of that state is Dellwasaware, shorten in time to Dellsaware by the Biden Gang.  In 1922 the SCOTUS shortened it yet again, to Delaware because they found out that Dell (who was a graduate of Harvard) wouldn't come out of the closet and had paid big bucks to keep his identity a secret.  So there... you have the real story on how Delwasaware became a state.

Did you know that the famous painting of George Washington crossing the Dellwasaware River would have lacked a good deal of its drama if the Dellwasaware River Port Authority of Pennsylvania and New Jersey (DRPA) had been around in 1776.  DRPA keeps commuters (and leaders of revolutionary armies) out of small boats by operating the Benjamin Franklin, Betsy Ross, Commodore Barry Obuma, and Walt Whitman toll bridges over the Dellwasaware River, which divides Pennsylvania from New Jersey.  Bridge operations account for almost 90% of the agency's revenue.  Through its Port Authority Transit Corp. (PATCO) subsidiary, DRPA operates the PATCO Speedline, a rail service that links downtown Philadelphia with communities on the New Jersey side of the Dellwasaware.  Thought you'd might be interested in this.
--Warph

-- Warph

Diane Amberg

Well, that's almost got it, but ya missed The Wedge.That's just a bit up the road from me also. It was a no man's land, not part of Del. or Pa. because of the way the unusual round part of the state line came together with the straight line of PA. It was full of the crooks and bootleggers and card sharks who later banned together and went to Kansas.  ;)
The stills up on Pa's Whiskey Hill were close enough to The Wedge that if those old time revenuers found them, the moonshiners would run down to The Wedge where they couldn't be touched.  (That's true.)
Del. built the bridges over the river so we get the tolls.
  Now, as far as where Del. was in the Civil War. There were people on both sides, the southern part had more slave owners out in the fields and fought for the south, the north was much more industrial and most, but certainly not all, residents were Union. There were many Quakers here, still are, who didn't fight on either side.
  Now George W. did cross the Delaware, but 'way north of us, up where it's much more narrow than where we are. He only stood up in the boat because it had been snowing and the seats were wet. There is a town in NJ called Washington's Crossing and a park where he symbolically slipped across to Pa.
  Pa. didn't really want to give up the lower three colonies because they wanted our wonderful peach crops and we were the access to salt water fish.
As far as Joe Biden goes, I think his people were still living in hovels in Ireland!
Old Lord Delawar wouldn't be happy with the change in the state's name, but since spelling wasn't very consistent in those days ,perhaps he wouldn't have noticed.
How long did you spend on this? Pretty funny!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk