Denver Wildfires

Started by W. Gray, March 27, 2012, 11:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Several wild fires are raging about 30 miles west of us.

Last night high winds whipped the flames and caused the heavy smoke and fallout to drop over our area.

We smelled smoke inside our house until the winds died down early this morning.

Last I heard concerning one of the fires around 1000 homes had been evacuated and 3000 acres had burned.

One person had died.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

I was just this minute thinking about you and friends in Boulder. Stay safe out there.

Ms Bear

I hope the fires don't get any closer to you.  That is so scary,  those people don't have time to do much more than run.  The news a few minutes ago said they are having high winds.

Wilma

I was wondering if the fires were close to you.  Might be you should move to Kansas, preferably Howard?

W. Gray

Well, next week will involve my 73rd trip to Howard since '89. I have averaged once a month since June of last year.  Might be beneficial to have a weekend home at the least—ala the folks who just recently purchased Paul Moore's old house.

Actually, I left Howard in '46 with my folks, returned in '75 to live in Mulvane and work at McConnell AFB and left in '80 to live in Aurora and work at Lowry AFB located only six miles from down town Denver. That base is now closed and bursting with new homes. This area grows on you and most all of my wife's family moved here also.

We are 30 miles east of the fires but yesterday it seemed like they were right in the neighborhood due to the heavy winds moving the smoke and fire odor in our direction. Even though the winds are still heavy they are not coming in our direction today.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

flo

Waldo, I know the perfect vacation or year round home for you.  Mine is back on the market.  It is described in the "for sale" section.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk