Set phasers to stun, Spock!

Started by Patriot, March 28, 2012, 08:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patriot

I understand our sheriff's department is now the proud owner of several shiny new tasers.  At a cost of about $4000.  I also believe this purchase was made without prior approval by the Board of Commissioners in possibly violation of the single purchase amount limits that are a matter of policy in Elk County.  I wonder, is this purchase this a matter of need or want?  Is the need for such an expensive non-lethal force product the result of a crime problem?  I hear beanbag guns and sonic crowd control systems are going on sale soon.

Tasers at a taxpayer cost:  About $800 per deputy
2012 road dept. budget cuts:  $60,000

Unauthorized/unapproved expenditure by an elected law enforcement official:  Priceless

But, I could be wrong.

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

srkruzich

Quote from: Patriot on March 28, 2012, 08:49:52 AM
I understand our sheriff's department is now the proud owner of several shiny new tasers.  At a cost of about $4000.  I also believe this purchase was made without prior approval by the Board of Commissioners in possibly violation of the single purchase amount limits that are a matter of policy in Elk County.  I wonder, is this purchase this a matter of need or want?  Is the need for such an expensive non-lethal force product the result of a crime problem?  I hear beanbag guns and sonic crowd control systems are going on sale soon.

Tasers at a taxpayer cost:  About $800 per deputy
2012 road dept. budget cuts:  $60,000

Unauthorized/unapproved expenditure by an elected law enforcement official:  Priceless

But, I could be wrong.

I sure hope they aren't going to get taser happy.  This is not a good option.  just because its not as lethal as a gun doesn't replace good judgement and using it as a means of last resort when dealing with people.  You can still kill someone like me with a taser. IT would send my heart into defib.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Patriot

Quote from: srkruzich on March 28, 2012, 09:48:16 AM
I sure hope they aren't going to get taser happy.  This is not a good option.  just because its not as lethal as a gun doesn't replace good judgement and using it as a means of last resort when dealing with people.  You can still kill someone like me with a taser. IT would send my heart into defib.

I agree, Steve.  And they might play hell with a pacemaker.  I guess the solution is for you and others to avoid making VILE posts on the forum and just become a nice, compliant citizen who is willing to accept every follish notion that the government tosses out........ comrade.  LOL

srkruzich

Quote from: Patriot on March 28, 2012, 09:53:48 AM
I agree, Steve.  And they might play hell with a pacemaker.  I guess the solution is for you and others to avoid making VILE posts on the forum and just become a nice, compliant citizen who is willing to accept every follish notion that the government tosses out........ comrade.  LOL

What you want me to live in fear of Government?  I think not!  As far as i am concerned Government has to fear me!
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Patriot

Quote from: srkruzich on March 28, 2012, 10:16:04 AM
What you want me to live in fear of Government?  I think not!  As far as i am concerned Government has to fear me!

(Sarcasm on)

Ah c'mon Steve.  Don't you want to sacrifice your liberty for a little security?  Be a good sport and submit.  Individualism isn't that important... just ask the Obama regime.  LOL

(Sarcasm off)

Vitriol

I would much rather see you shot by a tried and true bullet from a tax payer purchased firearm, out of a tax payer purchased holster, on a tax payer purchased belt next to a  multi-band radio clipped to the two pairs of handcuffs, than by an untested new $800  taser.  It might not work.  I mean we have already invested at least twice that much in lethal equipment , certification, and training.  Should we utilize FIFO.  We spent thousands on the previous equipment so first in first out.

Micromanagement precludes which:

Liberty or death.

Patriot

Quote from: Toirtap on March 28, 2012, 11:58:37 AM
I would much rather see you shot by a tried and true bullet from a tax payer purchased firearm, out of a tax payer purchased holster, on a tax payer purchased belt next to a  multi-band radio clipped to the two pairs of handcuffs, than by an untested new $800  taser.  It might not work.  I mean we have already invested at least twice that much in lethal equipment , certification, and training.  Should we utilize FIFO.  We spent thousands on the previous equipment so first in first out.

Liberty or death.

I would much rather see you shot...

That reads much like a direct threat.

I mean we have already invested at least twice that much in lethal equipment , certification, and training.  Should we utilize FIFO.  We spent thousands on the previous equipment so first in first out.

Did we violate the county by-laws in order to spend the money?  I doubt it.  Try following the real issues at hand.

Liberty or death.

Micromanagement by government, by definition, precludes liberty.

Vitriol

You constant read things into conversations that are simply not there so with your limited grasp I could see how you would read a threat I'n to anything.  Paranoid much.....

If you are stupid enough to be confronted by law enforcement and fail to comply repeatedly they should shoot.  It is their judgment as to who, where, or what they choose to use to defuse your stupidity. 

So non-lethal  means are non libertarian and lethal force is liberty? 

Never mind the cost.  What does it cost to recharge a tazer?  Bullets are cheaper?

Patriot

Quote from: Toirtap on March 28, 2012, 12:43:13 PM
You constant read things into conversations that are simply not there so with your limited grasp I could see how you would read a threat I'n to anything.  Paranoid much.....
If you are stupid enough to be confronted by law enforcement and fail to comply repeatedly they should shoot.  It is their judgment as to who, where, or what they choose to use to defuse your stupidity. 

Quote from: Diane Amberg on March 27, 2012, 03:12:29 PM
   It looks like there is some envy and some "dog in the manger" pettiness that you have just got to get past or you may have lots of freedom, an intact constitution, transparent but strangled leadership, people afraid to speak out and watching over their shoulder in fear of being verbally attacked, and a dead county. Is somebody going to be a Henry Ford?  Sadly, I doubt it.
   Again with the labels...Mr. Follower?   Is that meant to scare him away?   Discourage him? Gonna send him to a "shaming room?" I thought you wanted open comment? I'm surprised.

Perhaps Diane was correct.  She was surely accurate in times past regarding grammar, spelling, and punctuation.  And no, pep/not-fred/toirtap/arcfault (or what ever personality is dominant this week), I'm not going to the shaming room.  Words matter, and yours were quite clear.... regardless of which face uttered them.

Now.... do we or do we not have a requirement that certain expenditures of public funds be approved by the county commission?  And, if so, is it appropriate for one person in an elected position in the county to violate the policy.... especially one in the law enforcement business.

Diane Amberg

Hey! Who said you could quote me in shoring up your opinion of someone else's post!? I demand a royalty!  8) ;)
   Hey Steve, ya might fibrillate, but it takes a shock to defib ya.
By the way, did your leos perhaps get a grant for those tazers? Ours come up with good stuff often from Homeland Security $.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk