WILSON, Estel (Hedde) - b. April 30, 1920 - d. February 23, 2012

Started by patyrn, February 28, 2012, 12:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

Estel Wilson, age 91, died Thursday, February 23, 2012 at the Mercy Regional Health Center in Manhattan, Kansas.  She was born April 30, 1920 in El Dorado, Kansas, the daughter of Orville Estell and Alta Fern (Ghrist) Hedde.  Her father died before she was born.  She was raised near Fall River, Kansas by her mother and stepfather, Grover Thomas.

She graduated from Piedmont High School with normal training in 1939 and attended two years at Pittsburg State University in Pittsburg, Kansas.  She was a teacher in Elk County for nine years and worked many years at the local lumberyard and other retail businesses in Moline, Kansas. 

On September 7, 1947, she and Lawrence Wilson were married in Wichita, Kansas.  They lived on a farm near Moline.  Estel was an active member of the United Methodist Church in Moline along with various other community clubs and organizations.  Her favorite, however, was Bridge Club.

Estel is survived by her three children, Charles Hedde Wilson of Wichita, Kansas, Margaret Estel (Wilson) Phillips of Manhattan, Kansas, and Frank Logan Wilson of Richmond, Texas; six grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren; and siblings, Charles Thomas of Fall River, Kansas and Vi Welch of Moline, Kansas.  She was preceded in death by her parents, stepfather, husband, and her brother, Robert Thomas.

Funeral services will be held at the First United Methodist Church in Moline, Kansas on Thursday, March 1, 2012 at 2:00 p.m.  Visitation will be held from noon until service time at the church.  Memorial contributions may be made to the First United Methodist Church in Moline.  Condolences may be left at www.countrysidefh.com.  Services have been entrusted to Countryside-Zimmerman Funeral Home, P.O. Box 1233, Howard, Kansas 67349.

(taken from the Countryside Funeral Home website)

Janet Harrington

I always thought Estel was a gruff old woman, but after I got to know her, I sure enjoyed visiting with her. I had no idea she was Vi Welch and Charles Thomas' sister. Learn something new every singe day.

ddurbin

Growing up, Estel's son Frank and I spent A LOT of time together and I spent many a day and night at their farm.  Estel was like my 2nd mother.  She definitely had strong convictions and opinions about things, especially political matters, and never hesitated to share them with others.

Ole Granny

"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

Catwoman

:'(   It is with tremendous sadness that I read of the passing of this great lady.  I was fortunate to count her as a friend while I lived in Elk County.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk