Elk Falls Pottery

Started by W. Gray, March 03, 2014, 03:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

I just received my Winter 2014 issue of "Reflections" from the Kansas State Historical Society. Elk Falls Pottery is featured prominently on page 5. Those pottery folks, the Frys, have been there since 1976. They dig the clay for making their pottery in Barton County once per year, bringing back a year's supply.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

They were so nice to us when we visited in 2008. Since my mom was a professional Kansas potter too, back in the late 30's, we had a lot to talk about. I was very impressed with the quality and variety of their work.   
    Daddy would dig Mom's clay from Brown county and store it in their barn. The kiln building  was behind the house. Her business was called Kanza Pottery, Horton Kansas
I was able to bring several nice pieces of the Fry's work home since we had driven out. Yes, I know I'm off topic.

sixdogsmom

Diane, by any chance did you get to see the beautiful sinks that the Frys made for the old train layover building. I am not certain, but I think the building was still a bed and breakfast in 2008. Help anyone?
Edie

Diane Amberg

No, I'm sorry to say I didn't.They were still in their old place and just getting ready to move to their new building when we were there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk