Bowling Alley in Howard

Started by W. Gray, February 23, 2012, 03:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

First Bowling Alley in Howard and maybe the only one in Elk County

Second Bowling Alley in Howard

Photos from Kansas Memory

I believe the bowling alley was where the Cox Building is now.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

Waldo, I think it was down North, just South of where the Rebekah Lodge is now, Across the street East and a little South of where the old Hotel was. I think later the Roller Skating rink was where it was and then Geo Criger's Auction was there in the early 50s. Maybe in the area where Howard Muilenburg had his grocery store.
I may have some old pictures of that area. Also I will ask Glen Miller if I get the chance, Glen is the best source left that I know of.

W. Gray

I was unaware of it when I posted those photos, but one of the photos is in the Elk County history book and the narrative says that an Air Dome was operated by L.F. Roberts on the site of the Cox Building and that facility later became a roller rink while apparently doubling as a movie theater and then was enclosed and became a bowling alley.

Roberts also at one time had a stage show theater on the east side of Wabash in that area that included movie presentations.

I thought Glen Miller was last observed flying over the English Channel?

Is this Glen Miller that fellow that the last I knew he was pretty well into his 90s?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

Quote from: W. Gray on February 23, 2012, 04:53:21 PM
I was unaware of it when I posted those photos, but one of the photos is in the Elk County history book and the narrative says that an Air Dome was operated by L.F. Roberts on the site of the Cox Building and that facility later became a roller rink while apparently doubling as a movie theater and then was enclosed and became a bowling alley.

Roberts also at one time had a stage show theater on the east side of Wabash in that area that included movie presentations.

I thought Glen Miller was last observed flying over the English Channel?

Is this Glen Miller that fellow that the last I knew he was pretty well into his 90s?

Waldo, L.F. "Lee" Roberts lived where the Rebekah Lodge Building is now and he had a store just South of there. I think that is where the theater on the east side was. His son, Jess carried on the Furniture Business into the 50s, Jess' Daughter and her husband were traveling actors and put on shows all over the country. Yes Glen is close to 97, the last time I talked to him he still had a wealth of information.

W. Gray

I believe his wife was the same age as he and they were both 93 when I last spoke with them. They both were really alert individuals.

frawin

My wife worked for Glen in the late 50s and early 60s , she says he is one of the finest people she ever worked for or with.

Mom70x7

So were there 2 bowling alleys - or did the first one simply expand?

And I can't quite read the "spit" sign - does it say Gentlemen will spit on the floor?

Ms Bear

It says "  No Gentleman will spit on the floor ".  Hopefully all the men were gentlemen.

Mom70x7

W. Gray

Dont know about whether there were two different bowling alleys. I got the opinion that the two lanes had been expanded to three and moved over a little to provide room for spectators. The windows on the left of each picture seem to be the same treatment.

The writing on the second alley says "Cool in the summer, warm in the winter" suggesting, perhaps, air conditioning.

The writing also says "Real factory made alleys." The Elk County history book said that Roberts was quite skilled so he must have laid the first alleys and thought the factory made were better.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk