Burchfield--DeVore Marriage

Started by genealogynut, November 27, 2006, 06:34:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

Howard Courant
May 9, 1912

PRETTY WEDDING
[/b]

A wedding pretty in its simplicity of ceremony and surroundings was that of last night at the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Ross of Washington street, when their niece, Miss Hope Burchfield and Hubert DeVore were united in marriage.  The ceremony was performed prompty at eight o'clock by the Reverend Floyd Poe, pastor of the First Presbyterian church, and was witnessed only by relatives.  The only out of town guests were the parents of the bride, Mr. and Mrs. Burchfield of Howard, Kansas.

Following the ceremony Mrs. Ross served a beautiful four course wedding supper.......Mr. and Mrs. DeVore will be at home at a cottage which is prepared for them on Washington street         -------Independence Daily Reporter, 29th, ult.

The bride, Hope Burchfield, was born in Howard about 19 years ago, and has many friends here who wish her joy.

Janet Harrington

Now, that is interesting.  There was a Sheriff Burchfield who was a top citizen in Elk County.  I wonder if this was a daughter of his?????

genealogynut

I checked the 1900 and 1910 census records, and what I found does not seem to add up, with what one reads in the newspaper article.  In the 1900 census, I found a Mahala Burchfield listed as the head of the household and it says she was widowed, and one of the children listed was Hope Burchfield.  In 1910, there was only one Burchfield household listed.... it was a couple with no children.  So it leaves me to wonder if perhaps Mahala remarried again, but the wrong name  ???was in the paper. This would require more research.

Janet Harrington

I think that Mahala Burchfield was Sheriff Burchfield's wife.  But I'm not sure.  I need to dig into my research on sheriffs and find it.  Anyway, the Burchfields that did not have any children were the Ulrich Burchfield family.  Ulrich was a son of Sheriff Burchfield.  Maybe this weekend I can find the box that holds all that research I've done.

Sheriff Burchfield and his wife were the first owners of the house that Hazel Moore lives in.  The sheriff had the house built as he was a wealthy man.  Of course, at that time, he was not sheriff.  Go figure.

Wilma

Did he build the house before or after he was sheriff?

gayle

Quote from: genealogynut on November 27, 2006, 06:34:40 AM
Howard Courant
May 9, 1912

PRETTY WEDDING
[/b]

A wedding pretty in its simplicity of ceremony and surroundings was that of last night at the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Ross of Washington street, when their niece, Miss Hope Burchfield and Hubert DeVore were united in marriage.  The ceremony was performed prompty at eight o'clock by the Reverend Floyd Poe, pastor of the First Presbyterian church, and was witnessed only by relatives.  The only out of town guests were the parents of the bride, Mr. and Mrs. Burchfield of Howard, Kansas.

Following the ceremony Mrs. Ross served a beautiful four course wedding supper.......Mr. and Mrs. DeVore will be at home at a cottage which is prepared for them on Washington street         -------Independence Daily Reporter, 29th, ult.

The bride, Hope Burchfield, was born in Howard about 19 years ago, and has many friends here who wish her joy.

gayle

Quote from: gayle on January 21, 2009, 04:40:04 PM
Quote from: genealogynut on November 27, 2006, 06:34:40 AM
Howard Courant
May 9, 1912

PRETTY WEDDING
[/b]

Quote from: Janet Harrington on November 28, 2006, 06:26:20 PM
I think that Mahala Burchfield was Sheriff Burchfield's wife.  But I'm not sure.  I need to dig into my research on sheriffs and find it.  Anyway, the Burchfields that did not have any children were the Ulrich Burchfield family.  Ulrich was a son of Sheriff Burchfield.  Maybe this weekend I can find the box that holds all that research I've done.

Sheriff Burchfield and his wife were the first owners of the house that Hazel Moore lives in.  The sheriff had the house built as he was a wealthy man.  Of course, at that time, he was not sheriff.  Go figure.

gayle

I just hooked up with this site and notice a lot of Burchfield genealogy mentioned.  Well, I'm a Burchfield from Howard, Kansas and I'd like join the group of Burchfield information seekers!

My great-great grandfather, John Quincy Burchfield was the first sheriff there and my great grandfather, John Quincy Burchfield married Clarine Barber and moved from Howard to Los Angeles and are buried out here.

Talk to me!

Gayle

Marcia Moore

Who did Raymond Burchfield belong to?  I have a photo of him when he was a young boy.

W. Gray

The first sheriff of Elk County was R. W. Riley, Longton, who was appointed to that position by the governor of Kansas because of the Howard County division law. Burchfield won in the first general election of November 1875.

The Elk County History book mentions on page 17 that a J.C. Burchfield traded his farm, two miles north of Howard for the old Elk County Courthouse on Wabash Street. Burchfield's farm property subsequently became the county poor farm.

This was right after the new courthouse was built in 1886 [subsequently destroyed in 1906]. A photo of the building is at http//www.kansasmemory.org/locate.php?query=burchfield

However, on page 80, the Elk County history book mentions it was U. D. Burchfield who did the trade. Regardless of which Burchfield did the trade, the building was destroyed in a super fire in 1896.

Directly across the street stood another Burchfield property, a drawing of which is on page 6 of the Hand-Book of Elk and Chautauqua Counties Kansas. I thought this handbook was on the web, but I do not seem to be able to find it. The building was an 1884 joint effort between J. Q. Burchfield [actually has that name on the building]. That building was torn down a few years ago.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk