GENEALOGY AND DNA

Started by frawin, June 15, 2009, 07:39:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

I just got back from Tennessee attending a genealogy/DNA gathering.The  Winn/Wynn/Wynne all spellings have been participating in a DNA project to define which line we belong to and to then narrow our research and combine our research efforts. The project has really been successful. I have been doing Genealogy research for 20+ years and like most researchers I had some stonewalls that I just couldn't get past. Through DNA I have been able to match up and work with people all over the world that I matched up with and that  we go back to common ancestors. The exchange of documents, old Bible records and family history has been so helpful to all of the particpants. Modern science is great.
Frank

Ole Granny

What part of Tennessee?  Both parents have ties to TN.  Greene County, Monroe & Sevier are the main ones. Sounds like you had an interesting trip.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

frawin

Alice, I just found your response, sorry I would not have ignored you, and I think you know that. The area where this group of Winns settled was Maury County Tenneessee, in Central Tennessee. This particular group was my Great-Great-Great-Uncle, and he was just a year older than my Great-Great-Great Grandfather. The family was from Virginia, my branch left Virginia and came to Illinois and later settled in NE Kansas.
While in Tennessee, we visited the original Winn farm and the Winn family cemetetry was on the Farm. I met a lot of distant Cousins that I had exchanged information with and that I had perfect 67 Marker DNA matches with. One high point was that one of the Cousins had the Winn family Bible from the 1700s and it had my line in it.
I assume from your posting that both Marion and Grace were from Tennessee, is that correct.
Frank

Ole Granny

What thrill that must have been.  I have been in contact with cousins from several lines but not had the thrill of meeting them.  Truly amazing the information that is available.  One guy sent a picture of my Great Grandfather's sister who lived in Longton at one time.  I did not even know, at the time, she existed.  Mother's  maternal family was from TN, VA and Maryland.  Paternal -Massachusetts, NJ, Ohio. Dad's family from VA, TN to Iowa- then Kansas.  Mother's parents and grand parents moved to CO where Dad's brothers were living.  Both families had cabins in Apex, CO which is how they met.  My parents families in TN where in the same area.  Could have met there had the families stayed put.  Such beautiful countryside but not much opportunity at the time.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

dnalexander

Uncle Frank I find your DNA research fascinating. Maybe you can expand on the topic. Not just on our family but on the topic in general.

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk