Hwy 99 questions

Started by indygal, November 26, 2006, 08:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jensarlou

Is there a chance that someone could post a couple of pictures of the improvements.  I was still there when the project was started and would love to get an idea of what it looks like now.  I know that drive to Indy every morning and evening would have been much better had the road been done.  Sounds like you guys are really enjoying your "new" highway.

Terrell

Greetings Jenssarlou!     Indy and I stopped on the highway headed north (back toward Wichita) yesterday afternoon and took a couple of snaps of the road for you. They're taken pretty close to the "Big Hill" in hopes you could see the relative flatness of the new road as opposed to upsey downsey rolling old.

Wilma

Did you know that on a clear day, half an hour to and hour after sunrise, from a point about half a mile south of the Cresco Cemetery, you can see the wind towers at Beaumont?  I can also see them if I am in my car, in my carport and the trees are bare at this time of the morning.  That doesn't sound right.  I think it should be, I can also see them at this time of the morning if I am in my car in my carport and the trees are bare.

Janet Harrington

The wind towers are easy to see unless it is raining or cloudy or night.  The red lights on the top aren't that visible from the ground.

Jensarlou,  What do you think of the new highway?  The "Big Hill" is what People's Hill used to be and when it would ice and/or snow, cars and trucks could not get up that hill.  The highway is super terrific.

CrumCowgirlMama

They did take a pretty good chunk out of People's Hill. It's so nice to just go straight through it. It's amazing what they can do.

indygal

Terrell and I have seen the wind turbines from 99... it's pretty cool.

I can't imagine trying to drive up that steep old hill in the winter. The new roadway is great!

Out of curiosity, since Terrell and I are coming into the game toward the end, how long ago did the road project start?

CrumCowgirlMama

I believe they started on the bridges about 2 summers ago. I believe it could have been started in early 2005.

Wilma

They were fortunate that the weather was mostly dry and mild so work wasn't delayed.  It is nice going through People's Hill instead of over it and it is nice not to have to sneak around the S curve so as not to be surprised by oncoming cars.  I will probably miss being so close to the trees around the curve.  Some of them were really pretty in the fall and you could get a really close up look at them.  Almost too close. 

Janet Harrington

I believe that CrumCowgirlMama is right.  The bridges took forever.  I do think that once the road actually got started it went really fast.  Of course, they are not done.  I talked with a man who works for Sherwood, who did the base road, and he said as long as the weather holds, they will be working.  They have alot of work to do still.

jensarlou

It is hard to believe it is hgwy 99.  It is so flat it almost looks like 400.  They did a wonderful job.  Wish I had the chance to drive on it.  Might have to make a trip back to Howard. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk