Hwy 99 questions

Started by indygal, November 26, 2006, 08:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indygal

OK, this may seem like a silly thing to wonder about, but can anyone tell me what the highway crew plans to do with the old roadway now that the Hwy 99 improvements are done? Are they planning to add another two lanes so it becomes a divided highway?

BTW, they really did a great job on the new road, didn't they? When did they begin that project?

Wilma

A divided highway sounds good, doesn't it?  But, alas, Elk County is far too insignificant for such glory.  The usual procedure for abandoned roadways is for the property to revert to the original owners as the state usually holds only an easement for the use of the property as a roadway.  Janet can tell you much more about this as she bugged the state about bettering the highway until they got tired of her and gave in.  There were far too many accidents because of the narrowness of the road and the non-existent shoulders.  Not to mention the hills and curves where it was impossible to pass safely.

Yes, it is a great road now.  I like being able to go through People's Hill instead of over it.

bowie boy

FROM WHAT I'VE HEARD AND SEEN THEY PLAN TO USE THE OLD ASPHALT AS FILLER FOR DITCHES OR SELL IT TO OTHER PEOPLE TO USE IT FOR WHAT EVER THEY WANT TO USE IT FOR (EX. DIRT ROADS. TO FILL HOLES...ETC)

AND ON THE NEW ROAD, IT IS THE SMOTHEST ROAD IN THE COUNTY, EXCEPT IN SPOTS THE ROAD LOOKS LIKE BLACK ICE :o
''If guns kill people, I can blame misspelled words on my pencil'' - Larry The Cable Guy

Wilma

A mountain of the old asphalt is in the county road yard across the street from my house.

Janet Harrington

The old highway has been chopped up already.  They are slowly moving the chopped up asphalt away.  I'm not sure how much they are leaving for those folks who have to get to their houses.  No four lane for us.  However; I am so pleased with the new highway.  It is such a joy to drive up and down it five times a week to work. 

bowie boy

:police: with the hi-way being new and with a shoulder do you think they will up the speed limit to at least 60 mph instead of the usual 55?
''If guns kill people, I can blame misspelled words on my pencil'' - Larry The Cable Guy

Wilma

I think it is reasonable to expect it to be raised.  Other highways, some less safe than this portion of 99 have a higher speed limit.

W. Gray

I am not sure how much input a county has to state speed limits.

However, the old K-99 pavement in Elk County had a 55 mph limit. When one gets to K-99 in Greenwood County, the speed limit increases to 60 mph even though there is no improvment in the road.

US 160 in Elk County is 55 mph but when one gets to Cowley County it is 60 or 65 without an improvement. When one gets to Montgomery County, it is 65 mph. One could argue the Montgomery portion is a better road though.

Willl be interesting to see what happens.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Mom70x7

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that once the highway is finished, the speed limit will be raised. Although it's almost done, it is not finished yet and is still a work zone!!!!

emptynest

I  have rumors to the fact that the speed limit will remain at 55 on the new stretch of highway due to the shoulders/drop-off places.  I, for one, would like to see it raised a little, but am enjoying the drive everyday so much more than I have for the last 25 years.  You can see so much farther and it feels like there is much more room.  And it does chop off a little bit of time.  It's hard to believe we ever drove on that old road that has been torn away.  It's a wonder there weren't more accidents than there were.........

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk