MARION, James "Maurice" - b. August 20, 1920 - d. January 30, 2012

Started by patyrn, January 31, 2012, 10:02:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

Maurice Marion, longtime resident of the Howard and Moline area,  passed away on Monday.  Details of services will follow when received.

Ole Granny

RIP  Maurice.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

Ms Bear

I finally got to meet Maurice this past summer, we had a wonderful visit.  I wish I could have met him years ago, he told me so much about my family in a very short time.  He was my father's cousin.  So sad that he is gone.

patyrn

James "Maurice" Marion, age 91, a resident of Howard, Kansas, passed away Monday, January 30, 2012 at Harry Hynes Memorial Hospice Unit in Wichita, Kansas.  He was born on August 20, 1920 in rural Howard, Kansas, the son of James M. and Rhoda (Taylor) Marion.

Maurice was a graduate of Howard High School.  He served his country during World War II in the United States Army.  He served a tour of duty in the Army from September 5, 1942 to December 21, 1945.  The overseas tour took him from Oakland, California, Pier 15, to Tokyo, Japan by way of Australia, New Guinea, Netherlands, East Indies, and the Philippines. 

On October 29, 1949, Maurice was united in marriage to Kathryn Virginia Robinson in Attica, Kansas, and she preceded him in death in 1996.  Maurice married Doris Parker on April 25, 1998 in Garfield, Arkansas, and she survives in Montana.  He was a farmer and rancher in Elk County.  Maurice was a member of the First Baptist Church in Howard.  He was also a member of the American Legion Carter-Rader Post #149 in Howard where he served as Past Commander, Past District Commander, and Past Alternate National Executive Committeeman.  He was a member of the V.F.W. Post #1022 in Coffeyville, Kansas, member of the 40/8 and was Past Chef de Gare, and he also served as an Elk County Commissioner.

He is survived by his wife, Doris; three daughters, Kathy Marion and her companion, Morris Hunt of Topeka, Kansas, Nelda Jeffery and her husband, Allen of Paola, Kansas, and Ruth Ann Maynard and her husband, Michael of Nixa, Missouri; four stepchildren, DorisAnn Bringer and husband, Cary of Salina, Kansas, Arthur "Pete" Parker and his wife, Ann of Katy, Texas, Gloria Badgett and husband, Jerry of Power, Montana, and Peggy Kimmet and her husband, Tim of Great Falls, Montana; two daughters by friendship and love, Kathy Zimmers and Janet Rash; three grandchildren, Michael Jeffery of Derby, Kansas, Megan Vohs of Paola, Kansas, and Trevor Guinn of Nixa, Missouri; five great-grandchildren; and several step-grandchildren and great-grandchildren.  He was also preceded in death by his parents, three sisters, and five brothers. 

Funeral services will be held at 1:00 p.m. Friday, February 3, 2012 at the First Baptist Church in Howard, Kansas.  Visitation will be Friday from 10:00 a.m. until noon at the church.  Interment with military honors will be held at Grace Lawn Cemetery.  Family suggests contributions to either the Elk County General Public Transportation or Harry Hynes Memorial Hospice and may be sent to the funeral home.  Online condolences may be left for the family at www.countrysidefh.com.  Arrangements are under the direction of Countryside-Zimmerman Funeral Home, 206 E. Washington, Howard, Kansas 67349.

(taken from the Countryside Funeral Home website)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk