Started this years garden

Started by srkruzich, January 10, 2012, 12:20:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srkruzich

Got a lot of my garden seed started today, Lots of cabbage tomato and broccoli and rhubarb.

IF i can get this greenhouse setup in time i'll hope to have some for sale.  Maybe not this year but definately by next year.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Janet Harrington

How does Kohlrabi grow around here? I can't remember if I have ever tried it, but I was reading about it in a woman's magazine and it sounds like something that I would like.

srkruzich

Quote from: Janet Harrington on January 10, 2012, 06:24:55 PM
How does Kohlrabi grow around here? I can't remember if I have ever tried it, but I was reading about it in a woman's magazine and it sounds like something that I would like.

It should grow ok, i used to use it in landcaping flower beds. Its a pretty plant and works well in them. It is however i think a cool season plant. I need to get me some seed and start that too. Thanks for reminding me of it. :)

painted

dad starts kohlrabi early ( like cabbage) in the window. It grows great in elk county, but i don't care for the taste!

srkruzich

Quote from: painted on January 10, 2012, 09:25:17 PM
dad starts kohlrabi early ( like cabbage) in the window. It grows great in elk county, but i don't care for the taste!

Honestly the best thing to do with kohlrabi is either make kimchee or kraut.  Thats the only way i like it.  I mix it in regular cabbage kraut.  It blends the taste.
Kimchee is basically kraut but you mix it up put it in a pot and bury it in the ground for a while.  When its done fermenting and all then dig it up and eat it lol.

Janet Harrington

What does it taste like? The article compared it to a sweet radish.

srkruzich

Kinda like kale, raab or broccoli.

Jo McDonald

They raise a lot of it in Minnesota --- I thought it was a cross between cabbage and turnip.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

indygal

I had home-grown kohlrabi quite a few years ago while living in Indiana. I remember it tasted like turnips when cooked, but it also was quite tasty eaten raw. Didn't taste anything like cabbage to me. I can't imagine growing anything in the garden that you would then try to disguise its flavor.  ???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk